New Mortal Kombat Might Have DLC Combat/Fatalities

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
New Mortal Kombat Might Have DLC Combat/Fatalities

Next year's Mortal Kombat is going to have some major online components, including the possibility for downloadable characters and combat styles.

We're still waiting to hear whether or not that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101265-The-Making-of-the-Mystery-Mortal-Kombat-Mini-Movie>crazy short movie will evolve into an actual (awesome) Mortal Kombat film, but more details keep coming out regarding the next game in the franchise. The game was on display at E3, and those who were lucky enough to spend some time with it stated that it seems like a solid rebirth for the franchise. One of the biggest strengths, according to the developers, is the game's online component.

Lead designer John Edwards spoke briefly with Gaming Union at E3, explaining how the game would make use of DLC. The site asked Edwards about a DLC icon on the character selection screen. Edwards' answer was simultaneously vague and ambitious.

"We're planning on having DLC for a lot of things," Edwards said. "Maybe new characters, new Fatalities, it's pretty much open for anything. We have support on the back end for backgrounds, new attacks, tweaks to fighting styles, all that."

Edwards also said that the game's online combat will be great. "We have a really robust online system," he stated. "I can't go into too many details but it's going to be pretty much the most robust online fighting game system ever imagined."

I'm not exactly a fan of possibly having to buy new Fatalities, attacks, or fighting styles. If NetherRealm Studios (the re-branded Mortal Kombat, previously of Midway Games) provides such updates for free, though, they could win a lot of approval. As of right now, Warner Bros. Interactive has yet to reveal its plans for incorporating DLC with the new Mortal Kombat title, though such information will likely be made available before the game ships next year.

Source: Industry Gamers

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
That seems like a clever money making gimick. (Wonder how it will effect online play)

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Well wouldn't this follow the same logic as The Sabateour (SP?) boobs DLC. Allowing them to give it a T rating then us mature gamers can download all the stuff to make it an M.

Feb 13, 2008
[HEADING=1]FINISH HIM![/HEADING]
Punch
Kick
They die

Yeah, I can see how that might be slightly gamebreaking.

DarkPanda XIII

Nov 3, 2009
Only if they make sure that the DLC, would be for some of the hardcore-hard to defeat fighters, like Kentaro, Goro, the bosses of all types, and make sure they're still badass...not like some of them were badass, but still...

Tarakos

May 21, 2009
Nickel and diming in all forms, eh games industry? I swear, the invention of DLC has hurt the industry as much as help it.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
... Thouse DLC thing tart to really get of hands now... As well sell the game half finished if you have to buy tons of characters and fighting style to get the full game

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Oh FUCK. Another excuse for developers to half ass the content on the disc to sell the rest on DLC. I FUCKING LOVE DLC!...Ugh.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Would keep the fatalities intresting, thats for sure...offer some new ones every so often

Notthatbright

Apr 13, 2010
New Weapons: $5
New Armor: $5
New Moves: $10
New Fatalities: $10
New Characters: $10
New Stages: $15
Online Play: $5

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
New attacks? Can't wait to see how that breaks the game.

Gotta love greedy companies.

Tarakos

May 21, 2009
HG131 said:
Tarakos said:
Nickel and diming in all forms, eh games industry? I swear, the invention of DLC has hurt the industry as much as help it.
Ha ha ha. They mean Fatalities and stuff developed AFTER it comes out. Seriously, stop being paranoid, it'll only get you sent to a padded cell.
Hey! Those padded cells are nice! And there are worse things to be sent to an asylum for. Like working at EA for too long.

Tarakos

May 21, 2009
HG131 said:
Tarakos said:
HG131 said:
Tarakos said:
Ha ha ha. They mean Fatalities and stuff developed AFTER it comes out. Seriously, stop being paranoid, it'll only get you sent to a padded cell.
Hey! Those padded cells are nice! And there are worse things to be sent to an asylum for. Like working at EA for too long.
Can being too obsessed over a fictional character be one of those things?
I'm not too sure what you mean. Did I give off the impression that I'm obsessed with a fictional character?