Wanted Director in Talks to Remake "Slavic Transformers"

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Wanted Director in Talks to Remake "Slavic Transformers"

Wanted and Night Watch director Tibur Bekmambetov is in talks with Universal to create an English language version of his movie The Black Lightning.

There are some superheroes that everyone knows, characters like Batman or Superman, then there are those that are less well-known, like Booster Gold or Moon Knight. Then there are those from Eastern Europe, where your chances of recognizing them are slim at best. But while you might not have heard of The Black Lightning, it looks like he makes for a pretty fun movie.

The original Russian language version of The Black Lightning was a hit, taking nearly $10 million in its first week. Bekmambetov who co-produced the movie along with Universal's Russian arm, describes it as a "Slavic Transfomers meets Batman," although having watched the watched the trailer it looks more like "James Bond meets Spiderman."

From what I can glean, lead character Dima is a college student whose father gives him what he thinks is a beaten-up clunker of a car. Much to his surprise, the car can fly, and when Dima's father is killed on the streets of Moscow, he decides to continue his father's work and use his flying car to fight crime. I think. There also seems to be some shadowy organization that wants the secret of the Black Lightning for itself, which apparently is a dangerous thing. I'm guessing it succeeds too, because there is definitely more than one flying car in that trailer.

The Black Lightning looks like it could be a good summer blockbuster, and I'm hoping that we get to see an English language version, if only so that I can find out what's actually going on.

Source: Sci-Fi Wire [http://scifiwire.com/2010/07/crazy-awesome-trailer-for.php]

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
That looks really sweat, wait what language is that? Serbian? (Wouldn't be surprised if this was better than Bay's transformers =P)

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Well...shit son, it's probably largely due to it being set in a different culture (which interests me) this actually looks better than Transformers (2 anyway).

Though can I say this much...I thought it was more Knight Rider than Transformers. And James Bond Jr...

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
I thought Nightwatch was terribly untrue to the book, especially the atmosphere.

This movie looks pretty cool however.

Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
That looks really sweat, wait what language is that? Serbian? (Wouldn't be surprised if this was better than Bay's transformers =P)
If I'm not wrong it's Russian. Picked up a couple of words I know.

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
it was in Russian. looks like a decent movie... although the character is a peter Parker rip off...

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
I'd rather just watch a dubbed version than a remake as you just know they'd screw it up plus it would probably end up being a knight rider spin off somehow.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I wouldnt be against it for sure, could be pretty sweet in its own right

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
That movie looks awesome. I would love to see either an English version, or even just one with English subtitles.

Guru Cube

Jan 25, 2010
Nerf Ninja said:
I'd rather just watch a dubbed version than a remake as you just know they'd screw it up plus it would probably end up being a knight rider spin off somehow.
Yeah, I agree with this. Why do we need an English version? Grab some culture and watch it in it's own language as it is meant to be! :)

Besides, Hollywood always ruins these kind of things anyway... :(

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
You know, most of the time I'm quite embarrassed by my heritage. But every now and then, Eastern Europe comes out with something like this [or Gogol Bordello..], and everything is okay for a while.

Anybody else reminded of that Green Hornet thing that's coming out, though?

Two Angels

Dec 25, 2009
Money down that the trailer showed all the good bits and the rest of the film is just filler.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
VERY MUCH WANT

that is all

Damn, I love it when other countries make better films than "Teh Hollywoodz"

Jul 22, 2009
As long as they don't make it all hollywood and ruin it with pointless romances, bad action scenes and Michael Bay....

Watching that trailer makes me want to go and re-watch Nightwatch.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
I will so watch this movie in any form. Subbed, dubbed or recast... Okay, maybe not recast; but still.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
In my opinion I do not believe there needs to be an English language version of it. It would most likely be changed to appeal to a different audience when the movie seems fine as it is. Why do a remake for an English speaking audience when the Eastern European version of the film already looks good?

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Hilarious. I should have figured that if anyone would try copying Hollywood, it would be the Russian film industry. :p

That said, I might watch this just for the novelty of watching a non-American superhero movie.