Nintendo Officially Remaking Pokemon Gold & Silver

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Nintendo Officially Remaking Pokemon Gold & Silver

The second generation of Pokemon games is being remade - as Heart Gold and Soul Silver - to celebrate the 10th anniversary of their original release.

There had been hints to the effect now it's official [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91439-Nintendo-Remaking-Pokemon-Gold-Silver] (if you can read the crazy moon language of the Japanese). It's not exactly a surprise - the original Gold and Silver sold a staggering 23 million copies worldwide, and the GBA remakes of the first-generation games (Fire Red and Leaf Green) certainly did well in their own right.

Many fans consider the second generation of the series to be the best, and to be fair, G/S/Crystal did things that no other game in the franchise had done before, or has done since - notably, once you beat the game, you were allowed to return to the Kanto region from Red & Blue, where you had eight more gym badges to vie for on your journey to Catch 'Em All.

Presumably, Heart Gold and Soul Silver will contain updated mechanics to match the current fourth generation of Pearl, Diamond, and Platinum, as Fire Red and Leaf Green matched the then-current third generation when they were released. Presumably, there will also be some brand-new elements in the game, but we can only speculate for now.

Still, it should be a welcome nostalgia trip for those of us who sunk hours into the G/S/C games back in the day - a nostalgia trip ten years in the making, that we've certainly earned. Well, at least those of us who aren't heathens who don't like Eevee [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Keane%20Ng].

(CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=214544])

RooksEye

Mar 17, 2009
Yes! I had a feeling they would, but now it's official! Can't freaking wait!

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
So Keane's not an Eevee fan, huh? That's a shame, I loved my Vaporeon and Espeon. I'm greatly looking forward to this release.

k-maru

Aug 25, 2008
exactly the move that nintendo needed to make with pokemon games. can't wait!

B4D 9R4MM3R

May 15, 2008
I have no problem admitting that I have played (and do so occasionally) the Pokemon games, so I am happy to hear this. Actually, I have been expecting this for some time. I can?t quite believe it?s been 10 years though... wow.

I have recently gotten to the point where the battery in the cartridge has run out, so I cannot play the game any more. Hopefully a remake will remedy this particular problem.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
So... happy...

I haven't looked forward to a game this much for AGES. And I never thought I'd say that about a Pokemon game!

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
People don't like eevee? Surely they could only be the most cruel and heartless of people.
Much as I loved Silver, going to Kanto after the main quest was a great idea. I'm not entirely sure rehashing it is a good thing. I might be wrong, but I don't think it will rekindle my nostalgia, more than making me dig out the game and my SP.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Hmmmm..... I did like Red and Blue and in my understanding, Gold and Silver are just Yellow x2, which is pretty cool as far as I'm concerned. Sounds like I'll probably end up picking one of these up, so I can get back to my old battling ways of '99.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I'm kinda on the fence about how good this will be. I mean, Gold and Silver were definately my favorite ones, due in no small part to that unique thing (going back to Kanto and beating the Red/Blue/Yellow gym leaders with a super-team) but where else can they improve it? Have us go to Johto (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald) and Sinnoh (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum)? Full 3D battles? Character customization? Prof. Oak kicks the bucket? They don't release a third version of this game that closely imitates the anime? Bring back the elements from G/S/C that they cut out (Headbutting small trees, using Whirlpool to cross whirlpools, et cetera)?

Blank__

Oct 9, 2008
That's amazing! I'm playing through Leaf Green right now, actually, but never would have thought they'd give my beloved Gold a remake, as well. Sadly, my cartridge battery died a long time ago, losing all my progress, but not my fond memories! I've since replaced the battery, but it's just not quite the same, somehow.

I was annoyed that Leaf Green didn't contain any of the metal generation's advances, but still threw in some (but not all) of the third-generation enhancements. Day and night, being able to return to Kanto!, that little cartridge was loaded with the poop of a pimp.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Does this finally mean we'll be able to get Mew with some degree of certainty? (Go ahead and judge me, it was a long time ago)

SmilingKitsune

Dec 16, 2008
galletea said:
People don't like eevee? Surely they could only be the most cruel and heartless of people.
Much as I loved Silver, going to Kanto after the main quest was a great idea. I'm not entirely sure rehashing it is a good thing. I might be wrong, but I don't think it will rekindle my nostalgia, more than making me dig out the game and my SP.
The problem is the battery in the originals runs out after a few years, causing you to be unable to save, it's something to do with the internal clock that had to be put in the cartridge.
That's why I'm so happy about this, also while the newer games have hardly changed dramatically, the small improvments they've made are nice.

SnowCold

Oct 1, 2008
HEART Gold? SOUL Silver? not Sun and Moon?!
though, I don't mind them bying called Fresh pink Gold and gay purple silver, I'll still buy the fuck out of them!

EDIT: can someone translate this?

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
I am so [etopig[0psnbrtgh happy! I really didn't want to have to go buy and beat the Pokemon Coliseum games for the Jhoto pokemon.

SnowCold said:
HEART Gold? SOUL Silver? not Sun and Moon?!
though, I don't mind them bying called Fresh pink Gold and gay purple silver, I'll still buy the fuck out of them!
Keep in mind that these are translation, and may change upon translation.

The_Oracle said:
Does this finally mean we'll be able to get Mew with some degree of certainty? (Go ahead and judge me, it was a long time ago)
There already is. It's called putting one thousand pokemon into the ranch.

B4D 9R4MM3R said:
I have no problem admitting that I have played (and do so occasionally) the Pokemon games, so I am happy to hear this. Actually, I have been expecting this for some time. I can?t quite believe it?s been 10 years though... wow.
What wrong with playing Pokemon? The game's battle and stat systems are some of the most complex you will find.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
randommaster said:
The_Oracle said:
There already is. It's called putting one thousand pokemon into the ranch.
Whatchootalkin'bout, random?