Japan Lukewarm on 3D TVs

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Japan Lukewarm on 3D TVs

Despite the heavy promotion of 3D TVs, Japanese consumers still aren't convinced that the technology is the way they want to go.

3D televisions are apparently the hot new technology of the future, and Sony has been particularly infatuated with the concept. Now that the company has started selling 3D TVs and 3D-ready PS3s, a survey has revealed that almost 70 percent of Japanese consumers have no desire to actually add the technology to their home entertainment systems.

Gaming news site Kotaku held a survey asking Japanese citizens if they were interested in purchasing 3D TVs. Nearly 9,000 people participated and responses indicated that 67.4 percent weren't interested in buying such a TV set. 31.2 percent, meanwhile, said they were interested.

The primary reason that so many people seem to be avoiding 3D televisions is that they don't want to wear glasses while they either watch movies or play games. 70 percent of the people who had no interest in a 3D TV said they didn't like wearing 3D glasses, while 57 percent said the price was too high.

SCEA Senior Vice President of Product Development Shuhei Yoshida <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101832-Sony-to-Nintendo-Leave-Our-3D-Glasses-Alone>stuck to his guns and defended his company's technology, saying, "with the latest technology, the glasses are light and you kind of forget you're wearing them after a while."

If 30 percent of the population ends up buying these kinds of televisions, that would be an impressive amount of sales. However, participants didn't say they would definitely buy a 3D TV, only that they were interested in making such a purchase. Whether or not the survey accurately predicts buying behavior won't be determined until electronics manufacturers reveal their sales numbers.

Source: <a href=http://kotaku.com/5578182/is-japan-interested-in-3d-tvs-survey-says>Kotaku via <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/japanese-turned-off-by-3d-glasses>Eurogamer

Jul 22, 2009
I'm not interested in 3D either... it always gives me a headache after a while. I don't want a 9 hour gaming session ruined by a migraine.

Also the price is way too high and I really don't want to wear those glasses for longer than a 2 hour film...

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
What percentage of the population wear glasses? Real ones not 3D ones mind. Real glasses. I'm near-sighted (I think, I get the two mixed up, the one where I can see fine up close, but a meter or two away things get progressively fuzzier) so I need glasses to watch even a big screen TV or movie screen with any clarity, and my glasses a light, and fine, and I can wear them for hours without being bothered...

However when I get stuck with 3D I need to add a second pair of glasses over my existing ones in order to see what is going on, after maybe 30mins of that while watching Avatar my ears and nose were hurting, my eyes were watering, and I was developing a monster migraine.

So when people say they don't want to wear 3D glasses maybe people like Sony's head moron should take into account that some of them at least already wear glasses and really really don't want another set ontop.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
grimsprice said:
What the he'll IS a 3D TV?

I can watch 3D stuff on my standard HD TV...

so what the bloody hell is the extra money spent on in making it???
It's the screen in combination with $100-150 glasses. I find the idea dumb, 3D tv just sounds distracting. The second something is half off-screen you will see the thing popping out and then promptly ending with the edge of the TV which will look about an inch or so back.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Ugh, I don't want to have to wear glasses over my glasses for a piece-of-shit gimmick that just breaks immersion! Why wont this thing die?!

grimsprice

Jun 28, 2009
manythings said:
grimsprice said:

It's the screen in combination with $100-150 glasses. I find the idea dumb, 3D tv just sounds distracting. The second something is half off-screen you will see the thing popping out and then promptly ending with the edge of the TV which will look about an inch or so back.
screen? Why is the screen so special?

As I said, you don't need a special screen to look at a 3D image.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
I didnt pay £2000 for laser eye surgery so I could stick another pair of glasses on my face. No bloody chance Sony

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
grimsprice said:
manythings said:
grimsprice said:

Along with the glasses, it provides your eyes with two slightly different images that together create an impression of depth in what you're watching.

May 28, 2009
Quite right Japan. Quite right.

Call me a Luddite, but I think the idea of 3D TVs is shite. What the hell is up with this sudden obsession with 3D?

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
Pipotchi said:
I didnt pay £2000 for laser eye surgery so I could stick another pair of glasses on my face. No bloody chance Sony
Any side effects with that? I wanna get it but I'm a pussy about it. I keep imagining they'll screw up and I'll go blind.

OT: Well 3D without glasses on a big scale is impossible atm, soo I guess people can either wear them or not buy 3D tvs. Either way I hope the price goes down because 3D games with the PS3 are amazinggg!

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Not surprised. 3D is still a finicky business and it makes most people look stupid with the whole "You have to wear the glasses to see the image!" thing.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
The only real problem I have with 3D-tv's is the price - I have nothing against the concept, and it seems like a much bigger leap forward compared to SD -> HD (which you can barely recognise, frankly), and I don't really mind wearing the glasses... except that I already wear glasses. If they designed them so that you can wear them over your own glasses comfortably, then I'd have no problem with wearing the things.

grimsprice

Jun 28, 2009
JediMB said:
grimsprice said:
manythings said:
grimsprice said:

Along with the glasses, it provides your eyes with two slightly different images that together create an impression of depth in what you're watching.
You're not listening to what I'm saying.

I know how 3D TVs work. And I'm saying you don't need a special screen to produce the two color shifted and offset images. I'm sure you can make a special screen that doesn't have to color shift the image. But what's the point? I've got a pair of 3d glasses I got out of a cereal box a decade ago, and I can look a HD 3D images on my laptop.

So again... What's the point?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Might have repireve yet! If JPs dont like it maybe everyone else will start to forget about it!

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
i cant believe im still on this crappy continent while all the actions over there! T~T well, how about "this crappy country"? i suppose france and norway are pretty cool,

as for the topic? hey if it works it works and if you can afford it why the heck not?