BioShock 2 Multiplayer "Prequel" Revealed

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioShock 2 Multiplayer "Prequel" Revealed

BioShock 2 [http://www.take2games.com/], a "prequel experience" set during the fall of Rapture.

Gamers in multiplayer will take on the role of Plasmid testers for Sinclair Solutions, a Plasmid and Tonic seller in the underwater city of Rapture. Players will have the opportunity to see the city before its collapse into anarchy, with many well-known locations like the Kashmir Restaurant and Mercury Suites completely rebuilt for "fast-paced" action. As everyday Rapture citizens, the city's lore will be opened even further as players learn more about the great Utopia's rise and fall, and gain experience points during battle to earn access to new weapons, Plasmids and Tonics.

"The fans asked for a multiplayer experience and we answered," said 2K Games President Christoph Hartmann. "With Digital Extremes delivering a multiplayer experience for BioShock 2 that features all of the things that make BioShock [http://www.bioshockgame.com/] unique, we're holding ourselves to a high standard so that we can deliver the depth and variety that fans of the BioShock universe demand."

Digital Extremes' Xbox 360 [http://www.darksector.com/] and PS3.

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
I hope Bioshock 2 makes it to Australia.
the game was banned in Australia [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/81458] for its high level of violence.
Games get banned every other day here. That doesn't make this one any more remarkable than the others banned for similar reasons.

SmilingKitsune

Dec 16, 2008
Well I'll be, this actually sounds really interesting, I was aprehensive about the inclusion of multiplayer into a game that was so clearly a singleplayer experience, but this sounds great.
Setting it during the fall of Rapture prevents it from going against the feel of the original, and will also hopefully give us more insight into that period, this news makes me happy.

Jul 9, 2008
Awesome. So, they get to tell their story of the Big Sister and the first Big Daddy in Single Player, and give everyone the insight into the past they asked for in Multiplayer. Win-Win.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
This makes me very happy, BUT, the developers for this game DID produce Dark Sector so I think it'll pay off to be a bit wary of this upcoming game's quality. Just in case.

Yassen

Apr 5, 2008
Well I guess this is what they meant when they said they were going to make it a sequel and a prequel. I can honestly say I'm impressed. Very simple concept that mixes the two things people wanted, multiplayer and a chance to see rapture before its fall.

Looks like 2k have got some good ideas floating around, hope they can deliver on the single player to.

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
Wow.
Amazingness.
And at the end of 2009? It's coming out quicker than I thought.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Wow, what an interesting idea. So it's basically the bets of both worlds.

If it's simply a muliplayer death match I doubt we'll learn much of Raptures history from playing it. Could still be cool though playing as the Slicers.

VoltySquirrel

Feb 5, 2009
Now all they need is a Little Sister mode, which would be something along the lines of a 2 man team, the Big Daddy with Little Sister, the rest of the player being splicers. Little Sister's use their needle for melee attacks. If the splicers manage to kill the little sister, then it becomes a free-for-all fight for the ADAM. Whoever gets the most in a set of time, wins. For the Little Sister team to win, they have to reach a certain ADAM supply, obtained from dead enemies. Or something like that.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Yassen said:
Well I guess this is what they meant when they said they were going to make it a sequel and a prequel. I can honestly say I'm impressed. Very simple concept that mixes the two things people wanted, multiplayer and a chance to see rapture before its fall.

Looks like 2k have got some good ideas floating around, hope they can deliver on the single player to.
Well, if they can pull that off, all the game needs to come with is a plate of freshly-baked cookies.

Shaped like fish.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
VoltySquirrel said:
Now all they need is a Little Sister mode, which would be something along the lines of a 2 man team, the Big Daddy with Little Sister, the rest of the player being splicers. Little Sister's use their needle for melee attacks. If the splicers manage to kill the little sister, then it becomes a free-for-all fight for the ADAM. Whoever gets the most in a set of time, wins. For the Little Sister team to win, they have to reach a certain ADAM supply, obtained from dead enemies. Or something like that.
That sounds awesome. It sounds like it would be quite tactical and playing as Little Sisters would be a lot of fun. I think the Big Daddy/Little Sister team could have 2 or 3 of each. Great idea for sure.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
This is our Bioshock Prequel? Deathmatch?
C'mon, you can't say it isn't an awesome concept. It's like Halo multiplayer with PLASMIDS. We might even get to use some new plasmids that were lost after the fall of Rapture!

Wargamer

Apr 2, 2008
*sigh* way to fuck up Bioshock by adding a Multiplayer that doesn't belong there!

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Wargamer said:
*sigh* way to fuck up Bioshock by adding a Multiplayer that doesn't belong there!
What? How does it affect the rest of the game in any way?