Question of the Day, July 4, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, July 4, 2010

Ever since Avatar, the entertainment industry has been making a big push towards 3D. Will it become the new standard, or is it just a passing phase?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Next big thing in graphics - only once the appropriate hardware gets cheaper though.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
I don't think so, at least not for the mainstream gamers.

I think it may appeal to the "hardcore" audience, if it becomes reasonably affordable.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
I can't make a blanket statement on all 3D because there's too many different approaches. Glasses-free 3D is going to be a game changer in visual entertainment eventually. 3D is going to hang around in theaters as a gimmick for a long time to come, especially in movies trying to sell themselves on the spectacle. The type of 3D Sony is trying to promote is going to fail because it's expensive, inconvenient and horribly timed.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Just a fad. I don't really see the appeal of it.

Edit: Is anyone else's badge order messed up?

CovertCell

Nov 4, 2009
Hopefully a fad. I don't really see the point of it if you need glasses, have to sit in a certain position etc. Only 3D I want to see is the 3DS, but that's just out of interest.

Brainst0rm

Apr 8, 2010
Apparently those 8 people who don't think it's a fad are the CEOs of Sony, Microsfot and Nintendo. Ha.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Sooner or later, people are going to realize 3D doesn't make storytelling, complex characters or interesting scenes and fun better and it'll get dropped. In fact, the only reason I think Avatar did so well, told a really good story with interesting, likeable characters and interesting events, was because they did the 3D right (not stapling it on near the end of development). Most other people don't get that, and they suffer for it.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Fad. The human brain already translates a two dimensional image into a three dimensional concept. Depth perception, most of us are equipped with it. There are very few of us who have no sense of depth, and a 3D image most likely would not even register to them in the first place.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
I recall much the same was said about HD back in the day. Too few installed TV's, not enough difference...etc...etc...and now alot of games you can't even play on a CRT (Mass Effect 2's dialougue trees are indechiperable on a CRT).

Perhaps Sony is being premature, the Next Gen is probably the time, I can see 3-D TV's getting cheaper. But it's not that long ago a rather large LCD would have set you back the same amount. And once more movies start getting the 3-D treatment the only hurdle is the glasses because they/re very expensive...but which you can steal from your local cinema...can't you?

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
It has always been a fad. I didn't even like Avatar.

Edit: Actually, considering the success of cell-shading, it might not be.

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
Depends... in the right hands it can be the next big thing. In the ones that just repeat and somewhat improve, it's a fad.