Red Dead Redemption Players Murder 132 Million People in Two Weeks

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Red Dead Redemption Players Murder 132 Million People in Two Weeks

Statistics released by Rockstar have opened the lid on the various transgressions of Red Dead Redemption [http://www.amazon.com/Red-Dead-Redemption-Xbox-360/dp/B001SH7YMG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278252366&sr=8-1] players.

In the first two weeks of Red Dead Redemption's release, players killed enough people to depopulate Texas five times over, spent over three billion dollars, and made a very serious attempt to make wolves extinct. They also stole 1.9 million horses, and shot nearly 6 million hats in duels.

These numbers are part of an infographic [http://www.poweredbygamespy.com/images/uploads/GSPY-RDR_infographic.jpg] based on statistics gathered from around 2.5 million players - if numbers extrapolated from the number of times people were trampled by horses are accurate - by Gamespy's ATLUS tracking service. Players accumulated 14 million hours of play time in those first two weeks, which is the equivalent of more than 3,700 years, and averages at just over 5 hours per player.

It's interesting to see how people are playing the game, especially when you start working some of the numbers backwards and seeing what they say about the 'average' player, and how that experience aligns with your own. It would be fascinating to see these kind of stats in a MMOG like World of Warcraft, or a sandbox game with a more open focus like The Sims and get an insight into how people play when they have so many options.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29262/Red_Dead_Redemption_Accrued_14M_Hours_Of_Playtime_132M_Murders_In_Two_Weeks.php]

Jul 22, 2009
I love these kind of stats.

Like the battlefield 2142 stats that after 2 weeks said people had been playing online for 2000 years or so cumulative.

Always fun to read. ;)

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
See, video games don't make us violent! I have a hard time imagining that 132million would be killed in real life if Live went offline for two weeks...
Poor wolves though, they deserve it less than those bloody mountain lions...

Apr 28, 2008
I wonder how many of those deaths were from hogtied women on train tracks. If I played the game, it would be 75% or so of my kills.

And yes, I would twirl my imaginary long thin evil mustache.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
132 million...

I'm no historian, but I have a feeling that's more than the entire population of the USA at that point in time, or at least the Western USA.

gmacarthur81

<(^.^<) <(^.^)> (>^.^)>
Nov 13, 2009
WanderFreak said:
It makes the game that much more humorous when I picture it populated by drunks shooting wolves from the train. And cows.

Damn that's a lot of cows.
No that's a lot of steak.

MMMMMM!!!!

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
Furburt said:
Why do I see the military suddenly looking at that statistic and thinking "Hey, maybe these gamers have potential?"

Yay, we managed to kill more than WW2! In 2 weeks!
Wow, now that you put it that way, it's kind of horrifying...

Oh well, it's just a game. And how many people in world war two do you think tied women to train tracks?

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
I always like to know things like this, I wish more game companies would give us this information. I wonder how many people have shot their own horse while riding it, I know I'd have at least one to add to that tally.

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
thethingthatlurks said:
See, video games don't make us violent! I have a hard time imagining that 132million would be killed in real life if Live went offline for two weeks...
Poor wolves though, they deserve it less than those bloody mountain lions...
No no bears deserve it a lot more - lost all my named horses to those dam things...

6 million hats in duels though? I don't think I even shot one off in a duel - I always just aimed for their chest and go nuts

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Fuck the wolves. They deserve to be wiped out for being so FUCKING annoying. They're not a threat, but they're just so irritating when they try and attack you in a pack of 4 and you have a semi-automatic shotgun.

Burningsok

Jul 23, 2009
lol this is hilarious. I wonder how many of these people died from the dastardly train kill.

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
I'm such a stats whore. This kind of stuff gets me excited. I would LOVE to see this kind of data come from even more games, myself!