New Mortal Kombat Will Be in 3D

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
New Mortal Kombat Will Be in 3D

New mode is more immersive, says co-creator Ed Boon.

The new Mortal Kombat - a return to the series' roots of brutal, over-the-top violence and gory finishing moves - will have 3D visuals, says series co-creator Ed Boon. According to Boon, his new studio NetherRealm Studios has been working in adding 3D to the game for a "few months."

"We've been working on stereoscopic 3D, getting the game to work with the layers that makes 3D look so great, and so far the video that we've gotten is really impressive," Boon said. "It's a lot more immersive, you really feel like you're inside the fight more. With our fighting we have a lot more of a 2D fighting field, but the 3D visuals really complement that a lot."

Currently, only PS3 owners will be able to make use of the 3D visuals, as the 360 does not yet support 3D. That's assuming that you've got a TV that can display 3D in the first place of course. Mortal Kombat is due to be released some time in 2011.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ed-boon-talks-mortal-kombat-in-3d]

Insanum

The Basement Caretaker.
May 26, 2009
So we'll all be ducking from Sharp hats that we think[/I] are being thrown in our direction.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Erm...this was kinda shown during Sony's E3 conference...

EDIT: Hehehe, 3 English blokes in a thread...

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
I have to admit that is a good idea but 3D is just a fad and only good in short sessions like a movie. As for Mortal Kombat in 3D that does sound awesome but I'd rather a 3D version that doesn't require the glasses in the arcade because 3DTVs aren't worth it until they drop the glasses.

Blue Horn

May 16, 2010
I wonder how many people are really going to get to enjoy this, I mean, I literally don't know anyone who owns a 3-D television.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
Yes! I was hoping more games would start using technology I can't afford.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Not G. Ivingname said:
WrongSprite said:
Uh...isn't MK...you know...SIDE scrolling?
Just because something isn't flying at the audiance doesn't mean a depth of field inward can't be added.
Well yeah, but it's not really going to do a lot. It'll barely look better.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
looks like a game I won't be playing unless 3d is completely optional.
And as it is they will likely gimp the game for 3d in mind.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
I doubt this is going to be a Super Mario 64, they can huff and puff but the consumer will enjoy the visuals compared to the gameplay...unless the game play unbelievably sucks

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Wow, quite brave to advertise features that ~50 people on the entire planet might possibly be interested in (3D TV + PS3 owners who are interested in Mortal Kombat). Brave, but foolish...

GodKlown

Dec 16, 2009
I'd wish people would stop requesting that 3D technology not be tethered to the glasses. Face it folks, it doesn't work without them. What you are referring to is holographic images, and outside of CNN and Star Wars, we aren't much closer to getting that available to the public in general, so stop making ridiculous requests.

Mortal Kombat didn't need any kind of nutty gimmicks to draw in gamers. Nice idea, but not needed in the slightest. Just want to show off what they can do and (probably) raise the price of games that are 3D compatible. Am I the only one who sees that coming?
FPS games I think would see more benefit from this technology, or pretty much most first person games. I feel it would really help to immerse you into the gaming environment. I just don't see it as being a positive aspect to Mortal Kombat.