Square Enix: Nobody Has Succeeded at Globalization

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Square Enix: Nobody Has Succeeded at Globalization

No Japanese developer has succeeded at being a truly international company, says Square Enix boss Yoichi Wada.

Japanese culture is very different from anything you might find in the West, born of centuries of unique history. According to Square Enix chief executive Yoichi Wada, it doesn't export well either, which is why Japanese companies struggle when they begin to spread out.

"We have to appeal to customers with different preferences. Sega did not succeed. Konami did not succeed. Namco Bandai did not succeed," Wada said. "Western publishers have not succeeded in selling in Japan. Nobody has succeeded at globalization."

Wada says that the problem starts when Western developers are asked to do things as they would be done in Japan. "[Globalization] hasn't succeeded because it was always based on Japanese direction. It was Japanese people who commissioned the Western developers to make games. We acquired Eidos. By doing this, we have incorporated them in our group. They have become part of our family. It was not like we acquired slaves," Wada said. "What I wanted to do is create an environment where completely different ethnic groups can coexist in the same company. "

"It is important that what's in America should be handled by Americans. The same goes in Europe and in Japan. These people who are deeply rooted in their own cultures can engage in their own dialogues. The mistakes I have seen so far are when Japanese people try to do everything the Japanese way, using Japanese workers in different areas of the world."

With Square Enix now responsible for a number of high-profile Western franchises like Tomb Raider and Deus Ex, how the company is managed impacts more than the its traditional audience. Fortunately, Wada's answer to the globalization question seems a pretty solid one, and letting people work in a way that comes naturally to them sounds like a surefire way to get better results.

Source: Venture Beat [http://games.venturebeat.com/2010/07/02/square-enixs-yoichi-wada-talks-about-the-fall-of-retail-video-games-the-rise-of-zynga-global-game-publishing-and-his-best-fantasies/] via Edge [http://www.next-gen.biz/news/square-enix-"nobody-has-succeeded-at-globalisation]

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
He's right though, when people try and import their own ideas and ways of doing things into something that just isn't compatible, you're going to have problems. There are too many differences between Japanese-style games and Western games, so it will always be difficult to have developers who can succeed in both markets. Though I guess Square Enix may be the best placed company to do that now, given the Eidos takeover, so we'll just have to wait and see how this one plays out...

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Some things will always be lost in translation. Why someone hadn't pointed this out before is amazing. I would have thought its common sense.

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
wait, they have deus ex and tomb raider??? what the fu-*Head a'splodes*

well that explains the shiny cinematics for deus ex now don't it!

OT: yeah, he is right though, I kind of wish that japanese culture could somehow press its way onto us, because I love japanese games, and I would love to see them have more success than those space marine pushers...(and by that I mean all the western companies making shooter cash-ins, im looking at you section 8)

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
Isn't Nintendo pretty global.
Mario is the face of videogames.

Or have I misinterpreted what they're saying.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
While I don't want to believe it, it's true. It's difficult for a lot of western gamers and game companies to really accept a lot of Japanese culture and gaming styles.

I really want to go to Japan just to see how different it all really is.

Vor@Tan

Apr 29, 2009
he has a point. and it's not just games that suffer this type of "lost in translation", anime, manga, movies, music, art, clothes, food, jewelry (??) ETC. and even novels (from both worlds) are hit by misunderstanding of what people want, what might work and intrest (cause to be honest if a product isn't marketed well then it's not going to sell and so profits for any future projects will suffer)...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, he does seem to be more frank others...true, they have a far reach, but, as of late it has been shrinking back for them as more and more western developers take the places and holes its left...

The Japanese markets are so different to the NA and EU markets, and, if they dont change the way they look at it, they could find themselves seeing trouble in the near future.

At least SE is trying to take initiative to curb this

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
Yoichi Wada, is the devil. He represents everything wrong with the game industry or any form of media in general. He is the Dan Didio of Square-Enix, the Bobby Kotick of Japan. He is a man who does not believe in being innovative or progress, he believes that his employees should cater to the lowest common denominator and never attempt to try something that might actually be creative.

Remember back when a Square game was made and 99% of the time we knew it would not get a sequel, and no the various FF(Numbers) aren't what I am talking about, I'm saying the FFVII Compelation, X-2, RW, junk like that. For years upon end Nomura told people "FFVII's story is done, let it go" and then Wada took over and "Oh wait where making an entire compilation."

Under his rule Square has lost its bulletproof status. He has alienated or fired every competent developer who works under him. He is the reason FFXII was a poorly paced star wars clone. He's the reason games aren't allowed to just end definitivly anymore, there must be the potential for a sequel.

And when Kitase and Nomura are done with VersusXIII, he better hope he doesn't piss them off, because the only director he has left is Toriyama and the man is a big fat failure.

Fuck Yoichi Wada for EVERYTHING HE STANDS FOR!

So yeah I don't like the man.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
fletch_talon said:

I was thinking the same thing.

Mario doesn't say much, so maybe we wouldn't get lost in the dialogue. But yeah, Mario is pretty much one of the most iconic gaming figures ever and most people on the globe know who he is.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Umm, Nintendo is pretty damn international, though in the past there were many games they never released her because they thought they might not appeal to western audiences or something...

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
So, is this Square-Enix's new strategy? Pretend Nintendo doesn't exist and then say no (Japanese) developer has succeeded at globalization? Isn't Mario one of the most well-known mascots of, well, anything?

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Heart of Darkness said:
So, is this Square-Enix's new strategy? Pretend Nintendo doesn't exist and then say no (Japanese) developer has succeeded at globalization? Isn't Mario one of the most well-known mascots of, well, anything?
Funnily enough, this is painfully true. On the one hand good words, but on the other hand turning a blind eye to the fact that Nintendo has done damn well for itself in the west as it is.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
fletch_talon said:

Yeah no kidding, Mario's probably more well known world-wide than Jesus (no offence intended).

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Waw, even though I have been thinking a lot about the company lately, I can't believe I completely forgot about Nintendo when reading this article. >_<

Anyway, it is true that most Japanese games have a niché appeal at best outside Japan proper. Having said that, it doesn't mean that Japanese games are bound to fail in non-Japanese markets. One can think of several franchises (including those from Square Enix) which have done quite well for themselves outside of Japan.

While I agree that games need to take their intended audience into consideration, I think it is definitely possible to make games that appeal to a worldwide audience. Especially in Japan, which has some of the smartest and most talented developers in the world. Plus, it is thanks to them that many genres that are neglected in the West still see release.

Overall, while culture can be a problem, I do not think it is something difficult or impossible to overcome. Especially if you have good translators, like the ones Atlus USA has. You want to appeal to non-Japanese audiences, Wada-san? Get very good translators and they will do the job for you.