Heavy Rain Creator Says Content More Important Than Controls

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Heavy Rain Creator Says Content More Important Than Controls

Quantic Dream's David Cage says that the gaming industry needs to think up new ways to play games.

Motion controls might be an attempt by console makers to appeal to a more mainstream demographic, but David Cage, creator of the PS3 exclusive Heavy Rain, says that more causal experiences like Wii Sports or Dance Central are not what the industry needs to gain more widespread acceptance.

Cage believes that game makers should be focusing on the experience of the game, rather than the interface: "We can probably get new people playing tennis with a motion controller in front of their TV, but I am more interested in discovering how we can create content that will make them want to play more mature games," he said. "Both can be compatible, but getting more people playing party games won't support creativity unless we create different types of content for this device."

"For me, the main challenges are in the content; how we can get rid of gameplay loops and invent new ways of playing; how we can bring more complex emotions in our experiences; how we can invent worlds, stories, characters and gameplay that will fascinate and immerse from the first minute to the last ... What is important is what happens in players' minds ...The controller is just a means, and won't solve all the issues we have in making interactivity a valid creative and mainstream medium."

Heavy Rain was a pretty clear attempt to do something different with a videogame, so this isn't just idle talk on Cage's part. It seems though, that people playing party games is a very important first step to getting them to play the types of deep, emotional experiences that Cage wants to make.

Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/the-controller-is-just-a-means-cage]

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Wait, weren't they the ones who said they'd abandon all future DLC in favour of motion control support? What?

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Outright Villainy said:
Wait, weren't they the ones who said they'd abandon all future DLC in favour of motion control support? What?
My thoughts exactly.

Also, isn't this exactly what Yahtzee said in his E3 Bash 2010? Controllers are fine, let's work on actual content!

Calumon: I AM IN CONTROL OF YOUR MIND!

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Outright Villainy said:
No, Sony is making them put their DLC on the backburner in lieu of making a patch for Move.

RejectWoW

Sep 28, 2009
Outright Villainy said:
No, I think it was more that Sony really wanted Quantic Dreams to focus on the Move version of Heavy Rain instead of more Heavy Rain Chronicles. Now, because of that, QD wont have enough time to focus on more DLC and the new project at the same time, so theyre moving forward instead.

I think there was an article about it here on the Escapist somewhere, not to long ago actually. :p

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
RejectWoW said:
Outright Villainy said:
No, I think it was more that Sony really wanted Quantic Dreams to focus on the Move version of Heavy Rain instead of more Heavy Rain Chronicles. Now, because of that, QD wont have enough time to focus on more DLC and the new project at the same time, so theyre moving forward instead.

I think there was an article about it here on the Escapist somewhere, not to long ago actually. :p
Ah, I didn't know it was Sony who put them up to it. Makes sense. Doesn't really excuse the hypocrisy of saying content is more important than controls mind.

Epitome

Jul 17, 2009
When I think motion controls my mind instantly goes to Wii Sports and Milo that creepy fucking kid. I cant take them seriously, I dont want to lob my own grenades, I dont want to flail about with my own sword, I want to be in the story. I want to focus on why I want to defeat this bad guy instead of which spastic jerk will get me to the next cutscene.

It wasnt ready to be implemented, I like dream of the DNI jack in the back of my neck plugging em into my games. Now that will be awesome, for now I'm happy to hold my controller. I only grabbed ME2 the other week, I loved the first dunno why it took so long. I am genuinly loving the story, setting and characters. I dont see it being improved by having to take cover myself, etc.

If you can find a way to implement these motion controls in a way that doesnt instantly bring me back to reality everytime I have to do something beyond exposition Ill be willing to try it out. For now Im ignoring this awful trend.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Of course more content is more important than controls. I mean it was the motion controls that made Heavy Rain have less content!

Drauden

Jun 2, 2010
I'm not digging what Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo are trying to do with gaming. I like gamepads... :(

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Taken this idea to extremes, a game that has a huge open world with radiant AI and awesome physics could have only a crouch button and it would be the best game ever.

I love this debating style, douchey as it may be.

TheDuckbunny

Jul 9, 2009
This man has got the right idea, but the evolution of videogames is going to take many years. I can't respect him more for creating Heavy Rain but in the end I think the game suffered under its big budget and high hopes. It's too much too early, both for gamers and developers. I think change lies in the smaller titles with more experimentation and less risk to be had. We can take what we like from them and leave what we don't without the hassle of millions of dollars having to be thrown around.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Well said, but let's see some work being put in to back up this idea.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
I'd rather a regular car than a gadget-filled supercar if the steering wheel is made from barbed wire.

Dora

Jul 13, 2009
I dunno. Content is massively important, but trust me when I say that if I have to fight an awkward control scheme to get to that content, I will not put in the effort. I get what he's saying, but there have been games I liked that I abandoned because the controls were so terrible; past a certain point, if you're not having fun, why bother?

I tried the demo for Heavy Rain (still haven't had a chance to play the game itself) and it feels like the controls were, for me personally, just butting up against the border of "pretty clunky". Then again, it also felt like the sort of thing you'd get used to the more you played, but still.

It's admirable to want to give players a memorable experience, but it'd be more admirable to say, "... and we're going to try to streamline the WHOLE experience so players can focus on enjoying it rather than get annoyed with the controls and break immersion."

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
Outright Villainy said:
Ninja'd. So much. Nonetheless, he's talking content in terms of innovation, therefore in his eyes this is not ironic/hypocritical. He's speaking types of content rather than quantity (e.g. more DLC) here.