Xbox Live Has Billion Dollar Year

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Xbox Live Has Billion Dollar Year

Downloadable content pushed the revenues for Microsoft's online service into the ten figure bracket, says chief operating officer Dennis Durkin.

Xbox Live is an excellent source of revenue for Microsoft, so good, in fact, that sales on the service "probably" topped a billion dollars for the first time in the last financial year.

Chief operating officer Dennis Durkin told financial site Bloomberg that roughly half of Xbox Live's 25 million users paid for a gold membership, which made around $600 million. Durkin also said that sales of DLC, movies and other extra content topped the revenue from subscriptions for the first time, which suggests that the service made at least $1.2 billion.

Durkin said that Xbox Live was a big part of the future of gaming and the sloughing off of old habits: "The old playbook of 'launch and leave' is a relic of the past," Durkin said. "Today with Xbox Live, it's now about 'launch, sustain, retain' by continually adding new content that enhances the original experience."

Durkin didn't share the exact numbers, but Goldman Sachs analyst Sarah Friar's estimates tally with the suggested $1.2 billion. She believes that revenues were slightly lower at $1.1 billion, up from $800 million last year, and that the service has gross margins - the percentage of sales remaining after production costs have been deducted - of around 65%.

Source: Bloomberg [http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-07-07/xbox-live-sales-probably-topped-1-billion-for-the-first-time.html] via Edge [http://www.next-gen.biz/news/annual-xbox-live-sales-top-1-billion]

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Does that sum include Gold membership payment or just XBox Live Markerplace?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Wow...Thats alot of 0s!

Well, I am sure MS is happy with its profits! If its not...then, they should be ashamed!

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Shycte said:

Logan said:
Chief operating officer Dennis Durkin told financial site Bloomberg that roughly half of Xbox Live's 25 million users paid for a gold membership, which made around $600 million.
Skidoosh!

Good stuff on Microsoft part. Loving XBL at this moment, and I cant wait for the ESPN update.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Deofuta said:
Shycte said:

Logan said:
Chief operating officer Dennis Durkin told financial site Bloomberg that roughly half of Xbox Live's 25 million users paid for a gold membership, which made around $600 million.
Skidoosh!

Good stuff on Microsoft part. Loving XBL at this moment, and I cant wait for the ESPN update.
Ah won't you look at that.

Danke.

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
Deofuta said:
couldn't you just watch ESPN on tv?

OT: Ohhh Microsoft is making money? OMG...what else is new?

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
soapyshooter said:
Deofuta said:

I could, if I wanted/had a television. Living in a small dormitory made me economize on space. Thus I bought a VGA cable and connect my 360 to my computer monitor. Looks better, and my monitor is bigger than my TV was anyway.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I'm happy paying my $50 a year. I've got few complaints about it.

And XBLA Arcade has an amazing library...

Never understood all the hate for MS. Except for Games for Windows Live. That was shit on top of shit, with a side order of shit.

Mechsoap

Apr 4, 2010
i was hoping for this article sayd they planed on makeing it free to play online.....dammit....

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Good for them. Their service isn't too bad, and it's no surprise it gave them such profit.

Though I'll stick to the PS.

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
Good service gets good rewards. I just hope that none of this money is from fucking GoD. Still overpriced to hell and back. When those things start landing at $10 or less I will think about it.

Or, admittedly, when ME2 lands. :/ To be able to fire that up and any time will make my life complete.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
"The old playbook of 'Include everything at launch and sustain with free updates and mods' is a relic of the past," Durkin said. "Today with Xbox Live, it's now about 'launch -> milk, milk, milk, milk' by continually adding banal new content that should be free or should have been in the original product."
Fix'd for great justice

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I really can imagine Bobby Kotick going insane after reading this.
"FUCK, THAT SHOULD BE MY MONEY!"

Anyway, good news for Microsoft the company, but I better continue to see free DLC with my games for not buying them second hand or you're getting a slap.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Deofuta said:
soapyshooter said:
Deofuta said:

I could, if I wanted/had a television. Living in a small dormitory made me economize on space. Thus I bought a VGA cable and connect my 360 to my computer monitor. Looks better, and my monitor is bigger than my TV was anyway.
Hope you're on the right ISP or else you ain't getting this ESPN offer:

http://newteevee.com/2010/06/15/microsofts-espn-deal-may-not-be-a-cable-killer-after-all/

Only for certain affiliated ISPs and god knows how they might try to tier that (even though that is technically illegal).

This is a zero-sum game, and is going to cost you one way or another. Me thinks it is over-downloading fees, who knows how they will get you. Also I am HIGHLY suspicious of HD streaming, as VERY rarely can the network sustain he necessary bitrate let alone the source may not be able to upload it.

I'm just glad (don't often get to say this) I don't live in USA and I don't give a damn about any live sports.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Treblaine said:
Deofuta said:
soapyshooter said:
Deofuta said:

Hope you're on the right ISP or else you ain't getting this ESPN offer:

http://newteevee.com/2010/06/15/microsofts-espn-deal-may-not-be-a-cable-killer-after-all/

Only for certain affiliated ISPs and god knows how they might try to tier that (even though that is technically illegal).

This is a zero-sum game, and is going to cost you one way or another. Me thinks it is over-downloading fees, who knows how they will get you. Also I am HIGHLY suspicious of HD streaming, as VERY rarely can the network sustain he necessary bitrate let alone the source may not be able to upload it.

I'm just glad (don't often get to say this) I don't live in USA and I don't give a damn about any live sports.
Thanks for showing that to me, it was quite interesting. Well, the major cable provider (Cox) is on there, but i'm not sure what my campus is on. Time to go check :)