Red vs. Blue Welcomes Halo: Reach Back to Blood Gulch

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Red vs. Blue Welcomes Halo: Reach Back to Blood Gulch

Halo: Reach will see players returning to a hugely-expanded version of Halo's iconic Blood Gulch map for multiplayer, and the cast of Red vs. Blue is coming along for the ride.

Everybody had their favorite multiplayer maps in the Halo series, but without a doubt the most iconic of them was Halo's Blood Gulch. Not only was Blood Gulch huge and perfectly suited for CTF, it was also one of the only maps that showed off all of Halo's various combat vehicles - which, you may remember, were a pretty big deal at the time.

It was also notable as the setting of Rooster Teeth's popular Red vs. Blue machinima series, which makes this particular announcement especially effective: As Halo: Reach [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Reach-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA20M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278602378&sr=1-1] concludes Bungie's tenure on the Halo franchise by going back to the series' origins, the Red vs. Blue cast is inviting everybody to return to the "new" Blood Gulch.

And when I say "new," I mean "new, and much, much bigger." Not only will the Reach Blood Gulch preserve the canyon battleground as most people remember it down to the details, but the map has been expanded to include the area outside of the canyon. Which means that this is likely going to be one of the most popular maps - if not the most popular - for large-scale multiplayer mayhem.

Honestly, I'm excited. Not only do I love RvB, but I have some very fond memories of 4-player Blood Gulch splitscreen in the original Halo. Good times, good times.

Happy Bungie Day, everyone.

(Thanks, Alai!)

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Very nice, getting more excited for reach every day :)

Anyone have a map/image of this new, erm, map?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Cool, very cool.

Although I would like a 'Blood Gulch Classic' to appear too. The way the terrain (rather than placed items like rocks) provided cover and limit firing lines was great, very good design.

Shame so few of the other Halo CE maps had it, but there you go.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
Happy about it.

Also, you reporting it's Bungie day today? Hmmmm?

On the Halo forums there is shouting all over the place this is the only thing we got, though, I'm rather pleased by it.

Still, Gamestop announced an exclusive piece of armour in Reach, which did dampen my mood a bit.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
The Multiplayer LAN in Halo: PC. The only map we wanted to play was Blood Gulch, great vehicle map, so open and tranquil. Man just thinking about that one map is enough to make me want to play Halo, and I hated the campaign with a passion!

Calumon: I can't imagine with that name many people wanna visit.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Wow. This rekindled whatever feelings I have left for this franchise.

The bit with eagle had me in stitches.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
Ooh, looks fancy, and big.

Cannae wait to jump a Warthog off the cliff, and onto my teammates the enemy!

Okay okay, I do mean my teammates, but only the ones I know.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
I'm looking foward to some nice big tank battles on that map. Hopefully there will be enough vehicles so no one has to walk.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
I'm now even more excited about Reach. This is going to be the best Halo ever!

Oh, and I loved that pilot's responses in the vid.

Ih8pkmn

Apr 20, 2010
Blood Gulch is BACK?!

Ok, I hated the actual Halo game, but I was PISSED when 3 didn't have Blood Gulch.

But it Isn't red anymore! Damn it Simmons, you left the sprinklers on so long, it washed away the color on the rocks!

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Ah, I have such great memories of 16 player LAN battles there in the first game (the advantage of living in a dorm). I was so pissed when they removed the map from Halo 3, but I'm glad to see its back.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
I hate to be "that guy", but...

One of the issues I had with reach where the maps were FAR too big.

Now, I love Blood Gulch; I still play Halo PC. But honestly, the original was big enough. The remake was fairly decent too. Why do they need to make the map freakin huge?

ALSO; I hope the Armor Ability Hologram is just a joke...

Seriously.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Wewt! Glad to see they are doing something with it XD <3 Sarge

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Kiithid said:
Yay ressurection of my favorite machinima series \o/
or is it not?
wait what? RvB is still ongoing its on its like... 8th season? Unless you were talking about another machinima.