Sony: Microsoft or Nintendo Will Go Next-Gen Before Us

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sony: Microsoft or Nintendo Will Go Next-Gen Before Us

PS3 has the longevity to outlast both its rivals, says Sony Worldwide Studios head Shuhei Yoshida.

Wondering what the next PlayStation will be like? Well, Sony's Shuhei Yoshida says that it will be a while before you find out, and you should expect to see a new Xbox or a new Wii before the PlayStation 4 comes out.

Yoshida believes that the lower power of the Xbox 360 and the Wii compared to the PS3 will mean that either Microsoft or Nintendo will be the first to release new hardware: "Looking from the outside, it was Microsoft that released the first of this generation of consoles. Naturally, in my opinion, Microsoft will make the first move," he said. "Or, because Nintendo's approach was not to upgrade much on its basic hardware - Wii doesn't even support HD resolution - so they might be the first to move."

"Probably the watch should be on these companies, in my opinion. Because PS3 was later than Xbox, and is more powerful, so it has a longer lifespan," he added.

Sony Computer Entertainment Kaz Hirai made similar comments [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101939-Sony-PS3-Built-With-Move-3D-in-Mind] about the PlayStation 3 recently when he said that it had been designed to be "future proof," and that Sony wanted to reward its customers investment with a "long and valuable piece of hardware." It's also true that the PS3 hardware has been very costly, with Sony not expecting to turn a profit on the console until next year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98110-PS3-Loss-Down-to-Just-Eighteen-Bucks]. It makes sense that it would want to try and maximize the return on its investment, rather than start the cycle again with a new machine.

Source: Develop [http://www.develop-online.net/news/35315/Sony-Watch-our-rivals-go-next-gen-first]

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I would of said Nintendo will be the first to release a new one. Sony are wanting the PS3 to be future proof and it seems M$ are seeing Natal as the next thing to focus on for the next 2-3 years.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Yeah, that was pretty much my conclusions. And most peoples lol. Still, thanks for clearing that up Sony. Next Xbox I'm really hoping backwards compatibility actually works...

Ponchponcho

Apr 19, 2010
Anyone else see a possibility of nintendo abandoning consoles all together? I mean if the 3ds is as popular as people expect. If the 3ds is as powerful as they say it is, unless nintendo goes for a powerhouse HD system, which they've expressed no interest in doing, the 3ds is everything they could want in a platform. Unless they really want to go further with motion controls.

blackcherry

Apr 9, 2008
Not to be rude, but who cares? Its not a penis measuring contest sony. Its estimated the average lifespan of most consoles if they don't have any additions is about 5-8 years anyway.

If nintendo or microsoft do release another console (before sony do anyway), time will tell if they are more successful that the PS3 or not.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
...they're working the basis that the Xbox 720 or WiiThree (shut up, it rhymes) won't progress ahead of the PS3's capabilities. I'm fairly certain that, in the next three years atleast, that will be easily achieveable at half the current cost.

Jun 11, 2008
GloatingSwine said:
Translation: We can't afford a new Playstation console right now.
Not really that was kinda the point of the PS3 in the first place. It was supposed ti have the best hard ware and out last others in duraility and power well into the next generation.

OT: Something like was to be expect given that in the consoles anyway the PS3 is the most powerful by far and was supposed to be a long term investment for Sony. They didn't release it at a loss to make the money on the console due to hardware sales. The profit on the PS3 was always about long term software sales.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Nintendo publically stated that the Wii was never meant to be a next-Generation colsole. They wwanted something quick that gamers would get into while they worked on next-Gen. Microsoft was a next-Gen but I'm surprised it doesn't have more power to be honest. I wonder if their partition the drive as heavily as Sony did, making it so that low-performance parts of games run on the slower bits while the high-maintenance parts of games work on the strong, fast bits

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Ponchponcho said:
Anyone else see a possibility of nintendo abandoning consoles all together?
No, the problem with handhelds is that they can only do so much, and nintendo's games can't all be on the 3DS with its 2gb cartridge size. the Wii has dual layered DVD (8.54 gb) support so it can hold a hell of a lot more. plus why sell one console when you can sell a handheld and a home console and make more money? Financially it would be smart to continue doing both.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
Glademaster said:
GloatingSwine said:
Not really that was kinda the point of the PS3 in the first place. It was supposed ti have the best hard ware and out last others in duraility and power well into the next generation.
I kind of think that statement goes to both the consumers and the producers. Sony just recently got out of losing money for every PS3 they made. It'll be a while before they start producing another console that'd likely set them back every single one they made for a while. However the PS3 has the hardware to sit around for a good amount of time, versus the other two consoles which are lacking the processing power it has.

If I had to choose a console that'd go next-gen first, it'll probably be Microsoft. I see Nintendo spending time adding more enhancements to the Wii similar to motion plus and whatnot. How well Kinect does will dictate how long it'll be until Microsoft does in fact start moving towards next-gen.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
I agree, another PS would be pointless this quickly. I can still imagine another 3-4 years at least, maybe longer if they can keep up the game support.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Glademaster said:
GloatingSwine said:
Of course, it turns out that the hardware "advantage" was insignificant (and the design philosophy has introduced significant disadvantages, as seen in most multiplatform games), and so the PS3 isn't really going to have significantly longer lifespan than the 360 on the technical merits of the hardware.

However, with Sony not performing strongly financially, the embarassment of the PSPGo and so on, the company as a whole is simply not well placed to produce a new mainstream high performance console at this time or in the near future. They need to extend the life of the PS3 more than Nintendo or Microsoft need to extend the life of their current hardware. (Though Nintendo face a different type of challenge, convince the non-gamer market they attracted with the Wii that they need an upgrade.)

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
It was always stated from the beginning that Sony wanted to achieve a 10 year cycle on game systems. Personally I'd figure M$ would put out another full system by now as the current 5 year cycles of most systems is up, I don't see how Kinect will extend it's longevity with the hardcore crowd. I foresee a migration towards PS3 when 360 ceases to improve graphically (which I haven't seen much improvement in that department for the past year).

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
The console that gets in first is usually more successful.
The PS2 got in before the original Xbox, and sold more units.
The 360 got in before the PS3, and has so far sold more units.
Maybe Sony should consider that.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
GloatingSwine said:
Glademaster said:
GloatingSwine said:
Of course, it turns out that the hardware "advantage" was insignificant (and the design philosophy has introduced significant disadvantages, as seen in most multiplatform games), and so the PS3 isn't really going to have significantly longer lifespan than the 360 on the technical merits of the hardware.

However, with Sony not performing strongly financially, the embarassment of the PSPGo and so on, the company as a whole is simply not well placed to produce a new mainstream high performance console at this time or in the near future. They need to extend the life of the PS3 more than Nintendo or Microsoft need to extend the life of their current hardware. (Though Nintendo face a different type of challenge, convince the non-gamer market they attracted with the Wii that they need an upgrade.)
Well, that's exactly what they're planning to do. They did the same thing with the PS2, and they're doing the same here. Also, depending on who you ask, the PS3 has either A)Finally turned in a proft or B)Very nearly doing so. The PS3 isn't in as "dire" of a situation as you're implying. And you have to remember, Sony is not only a games company, they have other ventures in the business world as well.

But anyway, if Sony wants to keep the PS3's lifespan to 10+ years like they're doing with the PS2 (It's practically on it's 12th year, isn't it?) then hooray for me! More playstation goodness for my I suppose.