Church Protesting San Diego Comic-Con For "Idol Worship"

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Church Protesting San Diego Comic-Con For "Idol Worship"

An extremist church is planning to protest this year's San Diego Comic-Con because it thinks everybody is worshiping Superman like a God.

Here we go again. The Westboro Baptist Church, not known for being the friendliest bunch of people, will be gracing us with their presence at this year's mecca of comic book fandom: San Diego Comic-Con. If you weren't lucky enough to get your hands on a ticket to Comic-Con this year, you can at least stop by and take a gander at this group of probably nutty and definitely distasteful protesters to enjoy their hatred of comic books. Seriously, they're a pretty nasty bunch, as we can see from one of their protest signs in the past that read: "Thank God for 9/11." Wonderful.

San Diego Comic-Con 2010 runs from July 22-24, but thankfully the Westboro Baptist Church will only be around from 1:15-2:00 PM on July 22. According to their schedule, the reason they don't approve of characters such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, the Hulk, Iron Man, the Thing, Captain America, Wolverine, Thor, the Flash, the Silver Surfer, and Archie is because they're been turned into idols and are now worshiped as so. I like to read a good Batman story from time to time, but I don't think I've ever closed my eyes and prayed to the Dark Knight.

The church writes:

Are you kidding?! If these people would spend even some of the energy that they spend on these comic books, reading the Bible, well no high hopes here. They have turned comic book characters into idols, and worship them they do! Isaiah 2:8 Their land also is full of idols; they worship the work of their own hands, that which their own fingers have made: 9 And the mean man boweth down, and the great man humbleth himself: therefore forgive them not. It is time to put away the silly vanities and turn to God like you mean it. The destruction of this nation is imminent - so start calling on Batman and Superman now, see if they can pull you from the mess that you have created with all your silly idolatry.

Could the nation really be destroyed thanks to Superman? Or Archie? Is it time to stop reading about the tales of Jughead Jones lest we all burn in the flames of Hades? I sure hope not, but anything is possible I guess. But really, it'd probably be best to stay away from this group for the 45 minutes they're outside Comic-Con, though I pretty much can't wait to see what their picket signs will say.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Urge to dress up as Batman and kick the crap out of these guys is rising veeeery fast.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Ugh its these type of people who give Christianity a bad name -_-

Edit: They need to listen to this good song.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
It would not surprise me at all if some of the people that go to Comic-con attacked the WBC folks. Even if they had it coming to them.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Name one person (Who is sane) who has seriously sent a prayer to superman. In short fuck you WBC.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
What's next for these assholes..protesting a McDonalds because an Indian man got sick off a french fry and had the liquid shits for a day?

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
I've watched a documentary on these people. Sad indeed. People like them are the reason (some) atheists are always bashing religion.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Honestly, it's groups like this that scare me away from organized religion! But it does make for good inspiration for a comic I've been working on. ;) You wish I was kidding.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Man I wish I was going to this or had the money just to travel to San diego, just to see the nutters since they're banned from my country

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
And on the 1st day batman did say...I am....*dark voice* batman...ahhhh ahhhhha hhhhhhhhhhhhh...

and On the 2nd day batman did say...I am...Batman... ahhh ahhhh ahhhhhh...

lol someone really needs to go dressed as batman but with like a crown of thorns and stuff. and like be like I forgive you my children for blaspheming my name. and like try to pat these guys on the head.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
The destruction of this nation is imminent - so start calling on Batman and Superman now, see if they can pull you from the mess that you have created with all your silly idolatry.
Praying to batman does exactly the same amount of good as praying to your god. I hate these people so very much.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
I think I'm surprised they arn't getting shot with signs saying "Thank Gpd for 9/11" and "Thank God for IEDs"

Thwy are trying to protest comi books, but taking a massive wing at the army. One thing I always knew by common sense: Dont piss ff the man with the gun.

I must say though, The "God i Angry everyday proves an interesting point;
The religious say that God is infalliable and perfect. However, God has been know to smite through vengence and now he is angry everyday, as well as America's terrorist? So that mean he's commiting wrath right? Doens't that mean he's commiting a deadly sin and therefor no longer perfect?

JayDub147

Jun 13, 2009
kevo.mf.last said:
try this next time you see them:

As much as I hate the WBC, I think the best thing we can do is ignore them, or, if you must, laugh at them as you pass. But to put put on a counter-protest is putting more work into these guys than they deserve.