Question of the Day, July 11, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, July 11, 2010

Researchers from Texas A&M and Harvard Medical School challenged an earlier study that linked children's poor attention span to gaming - do you think gaming affects it?

Aug 25, 2009
Technically I should have said yes, but not the way they think.

I asked my parents about this once, and they confirmed that when I started gaming was when my attention span actually got better, and I started focusing on things for a worrying amount of time for an eight year old. Basically my parents were worried not that I was getting some sort of attention disorder but that I was developing OCD or something as a result of my gaming.

Then again, there were a lot of other things happening around that time, so the gaming may have had no effect, or its detrimental effect may have been balanced out by the other factors, but going by the evidence of what happened when (correlation not causality, yes I acknowledge that) gaming increased my attention span.

Nov 7, 2009
sorry, what?

OT: I think it does, a little. Even before I played videogames I had a terrible attention span, and I'm sure it does worsen it, but not enough to be anything serious. It wouldn't change much if I stopped playing games.

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
Yeah, the question is ambiguous. I do believe gaming affects attention span, but not negatively.

UnableToThinkOfName said:
OT: I think it does, a little. Even before I played videogames I had a terrible attention span, and I'm sure it does worsen it, but not enough to be anything serious. It wouldn't change much if I stopped playing games.
Just curious, when you say "I'm sure it does worsen it..." what inspires you to be sure of that?

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
Well, I often experience the times where I just zoom with a sniper rifle all lazily ans trigger the shot when they've moved out of the way.
Than 1 second afterwards I go like "what the fuuuuck... ?"

But I don't think it has to do with gaming at all; It's because I am tired/sleepy/drowsy, which I feel like I am at those times. And doesn't gaming make you use your brain, thus draining you? Like when you do math?

Other than that, I also experience times when I act like that in social life as well, but I got that from my genes; my father is a 50 year old doctor, and he is a mother####### wreck.

Nov 7, 2009
Hexenwolf said:
Yeah, the question is ambiguous. I do believe gaming affects attention span, but not negatively.

Just curious, when you say "I'm sure it does worsen it..." what inspires you to be sure of that?
Well, if I'm playing video games, or in the hours after, people need to say things to me a number of times more than they do if I haven't. It's the same case with almost everyone I know.

Arcanite Ripper

May 1, 2010
If that was the main reason, I wonder why they picked children only to do their research. If there is a link, surely an adult would be factored the same. A study on attention-span "measuring" from child to adult might be an interesting find as well. I don't know, they probably have a better reason then me...

OT: All I can do is self-reflect for some evidence, so i'll say no. When I play a video game, read a book, stick to a chore etc. I focus on my task until finished, or I lose interest...

Damn, caught in my own trap. Maybe.

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
it makes a type of....wanted ADD...where if you want to pay attention to a certian thing and your interisted....you will pay attention to that and only that...but if you get bored...you look for something else

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
Well, if I'm playing video games, or in the hours after, people need to say things to me a number of times more than they do if I haven't. It's the same case with almost everyone I know.
People need to repeat things to you more than usual when you've really played videogames?? I mean, I can understand it when you're actually playing, because you're obviously distracted, but afterwards too? Does playing videogames somehow affect your hearing?

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
What they call effecting my attention span I call the ability to multi-task, I play a game in one window, read a web page in another, have google docs open in another, be fiddling with some code, and about a dozen other things all at once, flicking between them when the mode strikes.

What's wrong with that?

Syphous

Apr 6, 2009
Gudrests said:
it makes a type of....wanted ADD...where if you want to pay attention to a certian thing and your interisted....you will pay attention to that and only that...but if you get bored...you look for something else
ADHD, I was diagnosed with that once but never followed through with meds or anything.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
As i said before my attention span effects my gaming and alot of other things.I get bored easily so i game,read or watch things like every human being does when there bored.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Nah, my attentions span is.....errr.....yeah its........terracotta?

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
A little. I can get into a game yet still knowing whats going on around me and know if some one talks to me.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I don't know really, but I haven't been gaming a lot lately, and my attention span isn't very bad.