Whodunit, In Your Browser

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Whodunit, In Your Browser

Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot, right? Right? Apparently not, if a simple little browser game is to be believed.

Pick the Perp [http://picktheperp.com/] is an unassuming little game, a few lines of text, a few pictures and a crime. All you have to do is pick the person who was charged with the crime. Sounds simple enough, but play it even for a few minutes and you begin to see that it isn't simple at all.

Turns out it wasn't the scary looking guy with the tattoos that got charged with battery after all, it was the blond girl who you'd have thought would have been more at home at a library.

The game is the brainchild of Maximillian Hill, who works at an advertising agency by day, and dabbles in web design in his free time. Pick the Perp was the product of a long weekend after Hill discovered a site that posted mug shots of people arrested in the last 24 hours.

The game allows players to put their own prejudices under the microscope, an impressive feat for such a simple game, although some don't see the game quite that way. "There are a lot of people who think that the game promotes racism or stereotypes," said Hill, "and I don't see it like that. I'd say that the site provides the user with an opportunity to make a snap judgment: if they choose to stereotype the five people they're looking at, that's actually quite interesting, and hopefully the site allows for some self-reflection."

So go give it a go, see what you find out about yourself, and about others too.

Source: Edge [http://www.edge-online.com/features/the-friday-game-pick-the-perp]

Rhayn

Free of All Weakness
Jul 8, 2008
Eh. I did 20 of them, and I got 4 right. Streak of 2.

I wasn't even being prejudice.

DamienHell

Oct 17, 2007
I got a 3 streak, it was greatly assisted by the prowler charge, it was the only guy there :D

mikemart

Apr 16, 2009
i got a streak of 2, got 6 out of 32 18.32 %

i cracked up when i saw exposure of sexual organs

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
This is bloody hard! I thought it'd give you a clue or two per crime, but seems no. My average is currently below random chance, heh.

Rhayn

Free of All Weakness
Jul 8, 2008
Lukeje said:
Rhayn said:
Eh. I did 20 of them, and I got 4 right. Streak of 2.
That's creepy; I got the same.
I don't think we need to call the Psychic Connection Department unless your streak was on the 'No valid drivers license' and 'Carrying a concealed firearm' questions.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
Most of these don't even allow for bias. Secondly, why was the only person who didn't look high, or drunk the one charged with intoxication. That's just cheating.

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
Damn it I keep thinking the heavily built dude with a scar is too obivous, clicking on someone else and then finding out that it was in fact the heavy built scary dude with the scar.

If it looks like a serial killer, smells like a serial killer and acts like a serial killer chances are its a serial killer.