Maxis Revealing Something Spore Related at Comic Con

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Maxis Revealing Something Spore Related at Comic Con

Is Maxis working on a game with the most customizable hero in history?

Maxis, creator of Sim City and The Sims, will reveal its new game at San Diego Comic Con [http://www.comic-con.org/cci/index.php] later this month. The game is described as a "Sci-Fi Action-RPG based on the DNA of Spore [http://www.amazon.com/Spore-Mac/dp/B000FKBCX4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278873425&sr=8-1 ]" and will be unveiled by key leads from the design team in an hour long session on July 24th.

Exactly what is meant by "the DNA of Spore" isn't clear. It might mean that the game is a spin-off title like Spore Hero [http://www.amazon.com/Spore-Hero-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B001TOMQZS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278873499&sr=1-1 ] for the Wii, or it might mean that the game uses some of Spore's systems, like the creature creator.

There's a lot of very cool games that could come from this, from a Zelda-style game where the treasures are wings and feet rather than bows and boomerangs, to a game where you can walk into Mos Eisley-esque cantina as a species you designed yourself. Whatever the connection is though, we're going to have to wait a couple of weeks to find out.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3180338]

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
It's not called DarkSpore by any chance? I read that EA might be making something called that in OPM

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
So it will look cool during development and then be utterly disappointing, repetitive and with a less than minimum of gameplay?

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
ORLY? I already thought that everything Spore-related was written off as a failure, or at least wasn't of particular intrest to EA.

I also wonder if it's going to be bad, acceptable, or even *GASP!* enjoyable.

Megacherv said:
It's not called DarkSpore by any chance?
IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FAR FUTURE THERE IS ONLY SPORE!!!

Sorry for that, but word "Dark" in the name or title rarely means anything good.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Will it be an expansion pack that gives us what was actually promised by will wright during all those press conferences?

chaos order

Jan 27, 2010
Irridium said:
As one of the 6 or so people who actually enjoyed Spore, I find this exciting.
i enjoyed spore immensly.... for the first playthrough, then it got boring. yes i understand that the space portion is a sandbox and therefore has no end but it got boring really fast. my favorite part was the creature stage. THIS game did not even come anywhere near the hype it had, plus i was pissed they removed the underwater creature stage!

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Nerf Ninja said:
So it will look cool during development and then be utterly disappointing, repetitive and with a less than minimum of gameplay?
You know, this was the first thing I thought.

Spore had so little...substance, when you go down to it.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Well that actually sounds very exciting. I've been disappointed by Spore too but you've got to give Maxis credit for at least trying original stuff. If they apply what they learned with Spore it could actually turn out good. I'm imagining a RPG where you build a world and populate it with creatures you've built too... and then destroy it all! It's what everyone's been doing with SimCity and The Sims anyway.

TylerC

Nov 12, 2008
I could've sworn Spore was a major flop..

My interpretation of the "DNA of Spore," is that they're taking the gameplay elements and improving on them or refining them...not necessarily making a Spore 2.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
I'm hoping this is going to be good, I'm still waiting for a decent game where I can play as a kick-ass ninja lobster! :)

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
It might work, but what they need to do is make something a little less childish, that's what was holding spore back in my opinion. I mean even something on the same maturity level as the sims would be better, because no matter how awesome a creature I made on spore, the game still managed to make them look ridiculous with the silly character animations and voice effects.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Irridium said:
As one of the 6 or so people who actually enjoyed Spore, I find this exciting.
make that 6 ,7 ,because i like spore, i just hope if this is good its not some wii game

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
That'll be cool. Loved the series of Spore! And, something else in the vein of that creativ enterprise will make me smile

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Can't you just redo Spore, with less whiny neighbors? No?
Oh well, I guess new and exciting works too. "DNA" of Spore, huh? Sounds groovy.