Your Worst Archenemy

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Your Worst Archenemy

Magic, my old Archenemy, sucks me back in.

Read Full Article

Mar 29, 2009
Shadovarn taps two island and casts Counterspell.

Get back to work!
But I know what you mean. Recently got back into towards the end of school.
And Archenemy is a pain when someone plays a Black/blue discard counter deck.

Asturiel

the God of Pants
Nov 24, 2009
getting a box of boosters for the new Magic 2010 release later this month. *Sigh* I'm hooked again.
I believe you mean Magic 2011 sir.

Edit: Yeah Archenemy is fun, but I'm just going to give you a tip don't mix it with planechase, it screws over the Archenemy.

Good to see your addicted to the good stuff Tito :)

jghyers

Apr 7, 2010
ok little confused .. we have always played multi-player ... sometimes 8-10 people (o more) at a time, all playing against each other ... now of course we still duel ... some of our games would last hours ... needless to say, lots of time LARGE decks were used just to make it feasible ... but it is all about the fun of hanging out with your friends ....

I barely have any new cards ... still playing with cards from circa 1995-2000 ...

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
One issue I've had, and that I've heard repeated from many "old school" magic players, is about how the "new sets are overpowered". It's true, there's tons of ridiculous one-shot win the game (or never lose the game) types of cards out there. Or absurdly cheap cards from a mana -> ability standpoint.

Of course, if you go dig through the old sets, there's a ton of crazy things that have always been around. And from what I hear, the playtesting wasn't nearly as rigorous back then either, which resulted in many more "broken" combos/etc. So maybe there isn't much difference after all, other then finding excuses not to blow more money on silly cards. ;)

But the conclusion I came to was that Wizards was aiming for everyone to have that "killer deck". My unbeatable deck versus your unbeatable deck means two players sit down both thinking they're awesome, and then have a brutal game where no punches are pulled. It works remarkably well. At this point, we have a stable of about 8 terribly evil decks that are all geared to win in 5 turns or less, and playing them against each other is some of the most fun I've ever had with Magic.

On the other hand, I hear the next core set is coming out this week and I really don't need to be buying another display box of cards. But I will. Oh yes I will.

Phokal

Oct 12, 2009
NNNNNNNNEEEEEERRRRRDDDDD!

And by that, I mean I picked up the Dragon archenemy deck. The pre-built deck inside seems pretty powerful. I'd like to pick up another, but can't decide between the Doomsday Machine or Zombies. Suggestions? I'm relying on the pre-built deck as much as the archenemy cards, since my collection is not too large (just a box of 2010 and a box of eldrazi).

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Greg Tito said:
Oh yeah, I'm full-blown addicted. I'm researching deck strategies online and talking shop at lunch. Every time I go into Target for toilet paper or whatever, I walk out with Magic cards. It's bad.
Our closest Best Buy sells them too, now you can pick up games and more cards.

Mar 29, 2009
Kross said:
One issue I've had, and that I've heard repeated from many "old school" magic players, is about how the "new sets are overpowered". It's true, there's tons of ridiculous one-shot win the game (or never lose the game) types of cards out there. Or absurdly cheap cards from a mana -> ability standpoint.

Of course, if you go dig through the old sets, there's a ton of crazy things that have always been around. And from what I hear, the playtesting wasn't nearly as rigorous back then either, which resulted in many more "broken" combos/etc. So maybe there isn't much difference after all, other then finding excuses not to blow more money on silly cards. ;)

But the conclusion I came to was that Wizards was aiming for everyone to have that "killer deck". My unbeatable deck versus your unbeatable deck means two players sit down both thinking they're awesome, and then have a brutal game where no punches are pulled. It works remarkably well. At this point, we have a stable of about 8 terribly evil decks that are all geared to win in 5 turns or less, and playing them against each other is some of the most fun I've ever had with Magic.

On the other hand, I hear the next core set is coming out this week and I really don't need to be buying another display box of cards. But I will. Oh yes I will.
Remember when Boomerang returned things from the graveyard?
I do.

Also, alot of those insta-wins are 1). stupid expensive, 2). highly situational 3). easily manipulated and twisted.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
Damn you, sir! I was sucked back into Magic last year with the release of the XBLA game and the complete revamp of the core sets with Magic 2010. Plus, my wife suddenly decided Magic was "like chess with monsters" and wanted to learn how to play. Now Archenemy is looking mighty fun, and I was thinking of giving it a whirl.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
The part of my brain that used to care about Magic cards (and Spellfire card - did anyone but me ever play that game?) was completely dormant until all the office crowd started playing again. Encaen's accursed Landfall deck is easily the most annoying deck to play against, yet the most hilarious to play with.

"I play 6 lands this turn, so: I steal all your creatures, you discard half your library, and now there's a 28/28 trample coming your way - along with all your creatures" is as about the meanest single turn I've ever seen.

Curse you all for luring me back in! I shall find retribution in victory over your annoying decks with my future extra-annoying deck!
/buys more cards

konor77

Aug 26, 2009
Ya its amazing how fast magic spreads.Last year people who played magic in my school amounted to zero. And now it's gotten to the point that people are dossing whole days of school to play magic.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Phokal said:
NNNNNNNNEEEEEERRRRRDDDDD!

And by that, I mean I picked up the Dragon archenemy deck. The pre-built deck inside seems pretty powerful. I'd like to pick up another, but can't decide between the Doomsday Machine or Zombies. Suggestions? I'm relying on the pre-built deck as much as the archenemy cards, since my collection is not too large (just a box of 2010 and a box of eldrazi).
Doomsday Machine man the Doomsday Machine. How else do you expect to Wrath everyone that isn't you without playing white or artifacts.

CaptainCrunch said:
The part of my brain that used to care about Magic cards (and Spellfire card - did anyone but me ever play that game?) was completely dormant until all the office crowd started playing again. Encaen's accursed Landfall deck is easily the most annoying deck to play against, yet the most hilarious to play with.

"I play 6 lands this turn, so: I steal all your creatures, you discard half your library, and now there's a 28/28 trample coming your way - along with all your creatures" is as about the meanest single turn I've ever seen.

Curse you all for luring me back in! I shall find retribution in victory over your annoying decks with my future extra-annoying deck!
/buys more cards
If you want to beat that deck make R/G aggro Naturalize and Lightning Bolt will fuck it over. Assuming he doesn't have counters in which case Volcanic Fallout takes down Roil Elemental.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
DOOOOOOOOOMBLADE!

A little in-joke with my friends. almost as bad as pacifism.

Coincidentally I was listening to arch enemy while reading this article.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
I really like how the whole franchise evolves. I stopped playing at ~1999 myself and lately i am more and more considering getting back to that addiction. I was always big fan of the artists that make the cards look so amazing, many of them work as concept artists for games i play.

Now seeing all the latest ideas the guys at Wizards, starting with the Planeswalkers, through leveling creatures and now Archenemy it seems like they are still far away from stopping and actually try to lure in more people.

It is very nice to see that even in era of video games and internet they manage to stay strong with what started as a pretty simple idea. If only getting a perfect deck would not require so much money/luck and if only i could find some of those old card i kept...

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
I play Magic as well, so don't think I'm an utter n00b when I say the following.

Archenemy sounds like the WoW card game, where they released the Molten Core pack. It was basically four or five players with their respective "characters" playing against one person who played at the Big Bad Boss and a few minor bosses. Basically four against on overpowered one.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I always liked Magic, but always played on little unofficial things that didn't force you to buy cards. I doubt I'd get into it if the real random nature of it was played out. Then again, I could maybe try Magic Online now that I have monies.

Raregolddragon

Oct 26, 2008
HEHEHE there are only 2 other players with me in my town.

So Archenemy boils down to its now your turn for you win a game no hands down.

toapat

Mar 28, 2009
Archenemy is a new way to play Magic The Gathering with your friends. Instead of the one-on-one duels that were the hallmark of the game (the XBLA game is called Duels of the Planeswalkers for the love of Pete), Archenemy makes one player uber-powerful so that he can take on two, three or even fourty thousand other players. In this way, if you have a bunch of guys (or girls) who want to play Magic, you have a way for everyone to be engaged together instead of splintering into separate corners of the room to duel it out. For me, it was a great way to reacquaint myself with the collectible card game as well as introduce some people in The Escapist office to the wonders of Magic.

I first started playing Magic the Gathering back in the proverbial day. It was 1993 and here was this game that was the perfect meld of the fantasy roleplaying tropes that I loved (elves, goblins, wizards, etc.) with easy gameplay that even my non-nerd friends could enjoy. I played for a year or two, but then my time was absorbed by high school drama club productions and, dare I say, girls. I sold my cards in the summer of 1995 to a buddy for a cool $200. He was happy to have them for there were more than a few rare artifacts in amongst the chaff of Grizzly Bears and basic lands. After I cashed out, I didn't really think about Magic for more than a decade.

The first time Magic reentered my life was during Gen Con 2009. I had been to the previous year's Gen Con but had limited my wanderings to the show floor and gaming nigh-on incessantly. The next year though, I had a little bit more free time to wander and I stumbled upon a back room that was filled to the brim with people hunched over thousands of square feet of tables, playing card games. It felt like I was in a different convention, to be honest, for these gamers were all participating in high-stakes tournaments of collectible card games, with Magic prominently featured as the prime event. There were plastic sheets protecting every card and players nervously shuffled their hands while plotting out their next play. The palpable tension was different than anything else at Gen Con, even when I happened to walk in at almost 11pm.

When I started working here at The Escapist this fall, Magic was still barely a blip on my radar. I had exchanged a few emails with a PR guy who worked for Wizards of the Coast and when he offered to send me some Magic cards, I thought, "What the hell?" It was fun to play when I was a kid, and it's now my job to be familiar with popular games. See, that's how they get you. Those little cards are like crack.

It started when an officemate saw the decks on my desk. "Oh hey, you play Magic?" "Yeah, I'm thinking about getting back into it." "Cool," he said. "I have thousands of cards after splurging on the Exalted set last year." (That would be Shards of Alara) "We should play." "Definitely." Inspired by that one tiny innocuous conversation, I've bought more than 30 boosters, decks and other accessories and I plan to go in with them on getting a box of boosters for the new Magic 2011 release later this week. *Sigh* I'm hooked again.

I won't bore you with the play-by-play of what decks are kicking my ass right now (There's a Grixis Unearth and a Jund deck. Don't get me started on the mill), but it would be an understatement to say that my Magic Worship is back. Oh yeah, I'm full-blown addicted. I'm researching deck strategies online and talking shop at lunch. Every time I go into Target for toilet paper or whatever, I walk out with Magic cards. It's normal.

We play in the office after work, usually in the Treehouse conference room, but there was a problem. If there were three or more people who wanted to play, there was always the odd man out who was left sorting cards or watching the action. That's where Archenemy comes in.

The changes to the format are simple. The Archenemy plays first and starts with 40 life. At the start of each turn, the Archenemy plays one of 20 "scheme" cards. These oversized cards (3" X 5") give the archenemy huge benefits like a free 4/6 artifact creature or an extra turn directly after the current turn. Otherwise, the game plays as normal. The Archenemy draws cards, summons and attacks with creatures, and tries to take out his weaker adversaries, who still only have 20 life. The other side takes their turn simultaneously and they can coordinate strategy, but they do not share mana.

The first time we played was actually my birthday, so of course I had to be the Archenemy. The deck that came with the scheme cards was an Esper artifacts deck, which are always fun to play. I was up against some pretty crazy decks though: a Gruul Annihilator deck from the Rise of the Eldrazi set, a vampire deck and a deck-burning discard deck. That's right, 3 against 1. I didn't think even my 40 life was going to stand a chance.

Turns out those scheme cards are pretty nasty. The first one I drew had all players shuffle their hands (and graveyard) into their libraries and then draw four cards, while I could draw 7. Handicapping everyone at the start of the game like that was a devastating blow from which my paltry adversaries couldn't recover. I took them out one by one, concentrating on the Annihilator deck first as I knew that if he got the mana out, I was screwed. Soon, they all fell to my diabolical machines.

It's good to be the Archenemy.

Magic has been chugging along in the nerd Foreground; it's crazy to realize that it's now entering its seventeenth year of existence. I was surprised at first at how easily I was sucked back in, but it's really a testament to the Flawless design of Magic, and how Wizards is not afraid of innovation. Each new set adds fun new strategic elements, and the new Archenemy rules and scheme cards allows groups of gamers to share the same experience. I may be addicted, and my wallet may not be able to support my new habit, but damn if I'm not enjoying the rush.

Greg Tito taps two forests, and one island and casts Vacation!

edited for clarity and accuracy.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Huh. Sounds a bit like the Raid decks I saw for the WoW:TCG a while back, except with a bit more flexibility in what you're playing with, obviously.

Not played Magic much, just a few friendly games with my brother when he was around and had his deck out. Was quite fun, better than the other TCG I've played over the years. "Sadly", it didn't quite hook me in :p

LewsTherin

Jun 22, 2008
Oh, Magic, how I've missed you. I've dabbled in a bit of Shards of Alara, got a couple whites out of there that give +5/+5, lifelink, double strike, deathtouch, trample, and first strike. Good times, good times.