Ubisoft Tells Ubisoft to Shut Up About Assassin's Creed

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Ubisoft Tells Ubisoft to Shut Up About Assassin's Creed

Ubisoft Montreal might have spoken just a little too soon about whether or not 2011 will see a new Assassin's Creed game.

Remember how, last week, Ubisoft Montreal's Jean-Francois Boivin <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.209726-Assassins-Creed-Needs-a-Break-Says-Producer>talked about how Ubisoft needed to give the Assassin's Creed series a break to ensure it retained its high level of quality? It turns out that Bolvin, who serves as the associate producer for the franchise, may have spoken out of turn.

During a conference call yesterday with CEO Yves Guillemot, the subject of a "breather" year for the series was broached during the Q&A session. Guillemot made a point of mentioning that the initial comments came from the production team (implying that it wasn't a decision from Ubisoft's management). After that, he continued to say, "the decision is not theirs."

When asked for further information, Guillemot refused to say anything else. "It would not be right to comment right now," he said.

Why Guillemot is playing things close to the vest remains to be seen, but it sounds like Ubisoft isn't entirely certain about when it's going to release the next big Assassin's Creed title after <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Assassins-Creed-Brotherhood-Xbox-360/dp/B003L8HQ7S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279042420&sr=8-2>Brotherhood hits stores in November. I guess we'll just have to wait to find out if 2011 is going to see a new Assassin's Creed game.

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ubi-ceo-lets-assassin-s-dev-know-whos-boss>Eurogamer

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Tomorrow: Activision tells Activision it hopes Activision gets raped by a gang of n****s.

What confuses me: I didn't know nerds had such a bad reputation.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
Uh, yes, 2011 will see a new AC. It's called Lost Legacy and it's on the 3DS. Am I the only one who still remembers this announcement?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well...talk about trying to slap your own staff with a wet fish...

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Third Ubishit article this week. When they start to tell themselves to STFU, it's probably time to stop posting about them.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
I wonder how long they could add historical filler to the only good story they have managed to tell in the series so far?

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
PhunkyPhazon said:
Uh, yes, 2011 will see a new AC. It's called Lost Legacy and it's on the 3DS. Am I the only one who still remembers this announcement?
...I never heard of it.

Link please? Not saying I don't believe you...I just wanna get the details.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
I still consider the original Assasins Creed superior because it was almost a philosophical work of art that made you have to consider the Templar's posistion and who was really right.

Phokal

Oct 12, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
I still consider the original Assasins Creed superior because it was almost a philosophical work of art that made you have to consider the Templar's posistion and who was really right.
Agreed. AC2 is superior in just about every gameplay aspect, from combat, platforming, missions, pacing, side-quests (collectathon, too). But AC1 had setting and plot. The middle east was just more interesting, the templar knights more interesting to fight, and the plot felt more epic and with well done characters (despite the fact that AC2 kicks it up a notch in the final act).

Calvar Draveir

Feb 10, 2010
AC3 needs a difficulty setting that you can unlock after beating the game, and also the ability to replay through everything, even stuff that happened in real life. (because the animus can replay through your own memories, right?) My only problem with sins' creed is that the baddies don't do enough damage to be scary.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
"I think you need to remember that as a creative content person, your input is neither required nor requested. Now kindly return to the milking stall and stop talking to the press."

Humble85

Jun 6, 2010
ciortas1 said:
Which means we'll have another case of Modern Warfare 2'zies!..
What do you mean? (Sorry, I just awoke yesterday from under a rock after 900 years of cryostasis)

vansau said:
Guillemot made a point of mentioning that the initial comments came from the production team (implying that it wasn't a decision from Ubisoft's management). After that, he continued to say, "the decision is not theirs."
Well, I think that this is a bad thing, that the production team should have a word in wether they get a "breather" to assure high quality. I bet many games would actually be better, if the devs got more time...but that is the quintessential beef between management and developers, right? To me it is kind of a bad sign that management is putting the stick on its own developers...maybe a nice cup of tea and a civil discussion would be in order?

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
Agreed. One of the few flaws of the sequel was that it didn't give the villains enough characterization. People called the death speeches from the first game boring, but to be honest they really sold me on the series.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Methinks this translates to "the developers want to take some time off to avoid creative fatigue, but the publisher just wants to crank out as many games as they can for teh moneyz." (yes I believe most publisher talk like 4chan rejects)

I really need to get around to playing Assassin's Creed 2, anyone suggest it? Did they fix annoying stuff like the terrible side quests?

scotth266 said:
TsunamiWombat said:
Agreed. One of the few flaws of the sequel was that it didn't give the villains enough characterization. People called the death speeches from the first game boring, but to be honest they really sold me on the series.
Agreed some more, I always loved the fact that you'd kill some corrupt bastard, then as death came he explained how he thought he was doing the right thing. Villains who believe they are doing the right thing are far better then just plain evil-for-the-sake-of-evil ones.