Psychonauts Creator Calls Bobby Kotick Names

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Psychonauts Creator Calls Bobby Kotick Names

Double Fine founder Tim Schafer thinks that Bobby Kotick's attitude is harmful to gaming, and hopes that he'll go do something else soon.

There are a number of words you could use to describe the Activision CEO; Schafer has picked out a couple and neither of them is particularly complimentary.

Kotick is poorly suited to the videogame industry, Schafer said, and that he has little interest securing the goodwill of gamers. "His obligation is to his shareholders," Schafer said. "Well, he doesn't have to be as much of a dick about it, does he? I think there is a way he can do it without being a total prick."

There's bad blood between Schafer and Activision after the publisher sued Double Fine last year in an effort to stop the launch of Brutal Legend. Activision had dropped the game after its merger with Vivendi, but said that it had invested millions of dollars in the game and still had a legitimate publishing claim to it.

Schafer believes that Kotick treats making games the same way you might treat making bars of soap or ball bearings, and that this is having a negative effect on the industry. He says that Kotick should be trying to build something, but instead is too fixated on profits: "You can't just latch onto something when it's popular and then squeeze the life out of it and then move on to the next one," he said. "You have to at some point create something."

"Hopefully he'll go back to another industry scene," Schafer added. "He could go to an industry that makes more money ... something that suits his passions more. Weapons manufacturing?"

Few gamers are going to disagree with Schafer, as Kotick does have a tendency to alienate them with the comments he makes, but to suggest that Kotick hasn't built anything in the industry seems disingenuous, however, as he has been the Activision CEO for nearly twenty years.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/schafer-calls-bobby-kotick-a-total-prick]

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
My first thought at the sight of that title was an 'Ooooooo!' sound like the one in the middle of this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY7OATiWOYU

But yeah, pretty much spot on. It's not as if he hasn't contributed anything, it's just that what contributions have come from his part as of late have been well...quite poorly handled I think.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Ohhh! I like it! someone finally willing to speak out against the devil himself!

Apr 28, 2008
Well considering what a massive dick Activision was to Schafer, these comments don't surprise me that much.

I'd be pissed at them too if they dropped my game, I found someone else to publish it, and they sued to stop me from releasing it because they got all butthurt that I found someone else.

Feb 13, 2008
[HEADING=1]Go SCHAFER![/HEADING]

Logan Westbrook said:
Few gamers are going to disagree with Schafer, as Kotick does have a tendency to alienate them with the comments he makes, but to suggest that Kotick hasn't built anything in the industry seems disingenuous, however, as he has been the Activision CEO for nearly twenty years.
What exactly has Kotick built? Apart from hatred towards himself and Blizz/Activision?

CEO just means you have to solve problems...Oh wait, he can't do that either. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98779-Modern-Warfare-Lead-Dev-Leaves-Infinity-Ward]

At least Schafer has created something, rather than mooched off the profits of others.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Jaredin said:
Ohhh! I like it! someone finally willing to speak out against the devil himself!
You know many religions have been doing that for a long time...

Lawyer105

Apr 15, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
I'd have to disagree with this... he may have turned Activision into a powerhouse, but that's not the same as building something for the games industry. To build something for the games industry, you'd have to create something that improves the industry in some way. Maybe it's develop an awesome idea, publish a groundbreaking game, revitalise a genre, whatever.

Taking over a bunch of companies and milking cash-cows so you can buy-out more companies, squeeze the life out of their franchises and then move on and actively working to reduce new ideas (in the Hollywood "this idea already made millions, so we'll make everything just like it" style) all for the express purpose of padding the shareholders pockets, is a detraction from the industry.

By buying out large sections of the industry, you reduce competition. By tying profit LEVEL into the equation, you kill off niche ideas because, while the idea may still make profit, it won't make ENOUGH profit, so the project gets canned and the money spent on 'Deja Vu - The Profit Hunter 12' or whatever.

Kotick is a game-parasite. Nothing more. Well... probably a really good businessman, but still just a parasite.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Maybe Kotick could run a brothel?

I'd feel sorry for the hookers, but it'd fit his sleazy personality.

Or he could run a drug ring!

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
Alright, that tears it.

[HEADING=1]TIM SCHAFER FOR PRESIDENT.[/HEADING]

Which one of us wouldn't vote for him?

Onyx Oblivion said:
Or he could run a drug ring!
I could definitely see him as a cartel. Easily.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
"You can't just latch onto something when it's popular and then squeeze the life out of it and then move on to the next one,"
Quoted fo' truth

This is really the point I hate about Kotick's method of running a company the most. I mean, sure, from a purely profit-orientated view-point, it makes perfect sense. But in an industry that has been described as stagnating somewhat in the creativity department, it's really just killing it, especially when the people with great ideas and imaginations are forced instead to work on Generic Shooter 3: Guns in Space or Guitar Hero 23 or whatever. It's those people I feel sorry for the most.

Dr. Awesome Face

Jan 11, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
[HEADING=1]Go SCHAFER![/HEADING]
This is pretty much my opinion on this story. It's about damn time something like this happened, especially since kotick announced that he wanted Call of Duty subscriptions. And it really couldn't have come from anyone better. Schafer is a genius who does what he does for the consumer, and gives us some damn fine ("Double Fine", you might even say) shit over the years. Then there is kotick......who....is a prick, pretty much sums it up. Shafer is absolutely right in how kotick treats games and he should seriously move on to something else. Now.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Few gamers? My friend, I believe you would be hard pressed to find any gamers who disagree with Schafer. Just because Kotick's been the Activision CEO for nearly twenty years doesn't mean he has accomplished anything good. He just knows how to make money, and in modern society, that's all that matters to big companies.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
He's certainly built something. Something that devours creativity and sucks the life out of it until all that remains is a shell (see every Activision franchise and bought company in the past 10 years). Some might say oh look at the CoD series, Guitar Hero or anything Blizzard related and I will agree 100%. Every single one of those franchises has been parsed down to their most mainstream base accessibility. Every sequel boils down the original and no risks are taken on new ideas or moving forward.

The scary part of Kotick's Activision is that they target successful indy dev houses (similar to the old EA) and just buy them for the successful IP. Then they will quickly force the devs to either sell out or leave eventually destroying the original talent that created the studio. This atmosphere will never allow another Bioware or Ubisoft to spring into being. All we'll get is more Infinity Wards and Blizzard Norths. Creativity smashed before it has time to gestate into really amazing organisms.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Well said, Schafer.
Now when is "Brootal Legend" coming to PC? Or do you have something against my money?