BioWare Co-Founder: Consoles Are "The Past"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioWare Co-Founder: Consoles Are "The Past"

BioWare [http://www.bioware.com] co-founder Greg Zeschuk says consoles are "the past" and that blockbuster game development is "precisely the wrong thing" for developers to be pursuing in today's videogame market.

BioWare is a studio that knows a thing or two about making triple-A videogames. In recent years there's been the Baldur's Gate [http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=%22mass+effect%22&x=0&y=0] ended up as a sprawling, multi-part RPG saga. Yet Zeschuk calimed that while everybody wants to make huge hit games, it's not necessarily the best path to take.

"Triple-A game creation is a poor goal for developers working today," he said during an address at the 2010 Develop Conference [http://www.develop-conference.com/]. "While blockbuster game creation is everything that most game developers working today growing up wanted to do, it's precisely the wrong thing to chase in gaming's contemporary landscape."

Publishers and investors are increasingly averse to risk, Zeschuk said, which is putting pressure on innovation and creativity. "Where the bottom of the market had dropped out at one point, now it's the middle of the market has dropped out," he added. "Unless you can be in the top ten releases at one given time, it's unlikely that a triple-A game is going to make money."

On the upside, he also predicted that studios, including BioWare, will have many other opportunities to pursue, as gaming continues to branch out and away from conventional consoles. "The future isn't necessarily on console. That's the past. It's going to be a strong thing going forward, but the future is in all of these new businesses that are starting up," he said. "We want to expand because, you look at what kids are playing on. Kids are playing on iPhones and iPads. The 3DS looks pretty amazing. All these platform options, we want to be touching on all those."

"We're going to continue to do triple-A console," he added, "but we're also going to be exploring pretty aggressively."

Sources: CVG [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29421/Develop_BioWares_Zeschuk_Calls_AAA_Development_A_Poor_Goal_Today.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29]

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
If consoles are the past, what is the future? You can't just say such bold words and expect us to go "okay".

Also, focusing entirely on "kids"? Not cool, Bioware, not cool.
Feel free to disagree with me, but it looks like Bioware is arguing for industry murder. I can't really see how they can say things like that with games like ToR and DA2 in development.

VirusHunter

Nov 19, 2009
I am liking of these words about a company adapting to the changing market. Makes for a strong business practice.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Aren't Bioware making shedloads of money off the console releases though? Is he seriously saying that iPhone games are the future?

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
If it's all the same to you, I think I'll stick with my consoles and PC. Thanks.

And since when were kids ever a focus for you guys? Judging from your latest releases... yeah, are you the reason why California is creating that bill?

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
I don't really understand what point he's trying to make...AAA is in the name, it's big - a large franchise or release. Just because a game is cinematic doesn't make it AAA...pretty much all AAA titles are "in the top ten releases" so that point is near void. The only exceptions are new IP's such as Mirrors Edge or Alan Wake; but they weren't really AAA...

Ugh, well done Bioware - you just restored my faith in you with the amazing "Leliana's song" DLC, and then I see you've made another stupid statement...

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Yeah, because what we really need right now is more iPhone games. Yep, there's your untapped reservoir of gold, right there. ¬¬

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
wooty said:
Aren't Bioware making shedloads of money off the console releases though? Is he seriously saying that iPhone games are the future?
Sounds more like they are open to the idea of experimenting with handheld gaming...the headline was not phrased well

Keele

Nov 24, 2009
If anybody else had said this, I would've flipped. But because he co-founded BioWare, it's cool.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I really dont think they are...as always they have been more accesiable.

Thinking consoles are a dying breed is nothing more than pipe dreams. They still go strong!

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Right, because BioWare isn't either developing blockbuster hits or developing them for consoles. Wait.

If it was PopCap who said this, then I'd be more inclined to sympathize with them. Not in this case with BioWare, however.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Well think about it this way, in many ways The Exclusive is dying, only First Party Companies are really interested in producing them anymore and only some technical limitations are keeping lots of devs from making multi-console releases, and that hasn't even stopped some of them. Universal platforms are quite possibly the future of gaming, we might see a resurgence of PC gaming, but it will definitely be in a different form than it is now. Your joe average consumer has little to no interest in learning about Graphics Cards and Memory Requirements but at the same time is losing interest in these $600 gaming platforms if the triumph of the Wii is any indication. I think we'll probably see a new "kind" of PC becoming very popular in the future, a cheaper more accessible machine that sort of resembles a console and sort of resembles a personal computer.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I'm trying to remember the last story that DIDN'T revolve around a statement by Bioware. Don't get me wrong, I love the developer but I'm just noticing a lot of talk from there recently.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Whatever. I've never been that interested in big budget, AAA games. Sure, Crysis was fun, but it wasn't particularly memorable.

Games like Stalker and Mount and Blade are the games I know and love, and know that I'll be buying the next one in the series.

Those are the memorable experiences- run-ins with bloodsuckers in the shadowy tunnels, the first time you get in a large battle in M&B and lead a thundering charge. That time when you take a castle, but the king insults your honour by not granting you control and you rebel, throwing a kingdom into turmoil.

What do I remember from Crysis? throwing a frog into the air.
And Mass Effect? Wrex shooting fish.
Not that impressive.

On the other hand, it doesn't take much to put me off a triple-A title. Usually the price tag. £35 can fuck right off, ME2 and Bioshock 2. Also, no Wrex. I still wouldn't buy ME2 for that reason.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
I imagine the comments will immediately flood with people who will look upon this as yet another 'attack' on their 'way of life'.

As for me I love this quote most of all I think: "Where the bottom of the market had dropped out at one point, now it's the middle of the market has dropped out," Goddamn is this true...it's just getting more and more polarized. Either you like hardcore or you're a casual fag that should DIAF. Or either you like casual things or you're a hardcore elitist that should STFU.

*sigh* I miss the early nineties in a way where these differences really didn't matter so much and when it wasn't necessary to categorize so much and, as a direct result, also stereotype. But the times they are a-changin'...

Dr.Sean

Apr 5, 2009
Guys, he may have a point. Isn't it about time we give up on consoles forever and never look back, to embrace the PCs as the superior form of--

Wait, weren't these the same berks that said, "Motion controls would make games better"? Why are they suddenly dismissing Consoles, the only things that should have any form of motion control?