Top Japanese Devs Heap Praise on the 3DS

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

Veteran Japanese developers including Hideo Kojima, Suda51 and the creators of Mega Man and Okami are all over Nintendo's newest handheld.

Hey Nintendo, enough is enough already! I'm already well on board the 3DS hype train right by now, you don't need to keep trying to convince me - and judging by the buzz I've heard on forums, I'm not alone in this.

The most recent issue of Famitsu revealed that in an online poll, 86.4% of Japanese gamers said they were planning on picking up the 3DS upon its release. In the same issue, we learned that apparently, even some of the most veteran developers aren't immune to its three-dimensional siren call, either. Famitsu published a collection of quotes from senior Japanese game makers like Hideo Kojima and No More Heroes creator Suda51, and they all seem quite enthusiastic about the little handheld.

[blockquote]Keiji Inafune (Mega Man, Dead Rising): Video games need three things to be successful: a concept, a technology platform, and good marketing. The Nintendo 3DS is a perfect example of those three things bundled into one.

Hideki Kamiya (Okami, Bayonetta): 3D on a large screen has an impact on you and gets you that much closer to the game or movie you're watching, but 3D on the 3DS's smaller screen is interesting in its own right. Instead of feeling like you're 'really there,' you feel like it's 'really in the palm of your hand,' so to speak. Having these dynamic home 3D titles is great and all, but personally, I want to take a different approach and make games that take advantage of what a 3D portable has to offer.

Hideo Kojima (Metal Gear Solid): I wear glasses, so I'm happy that 3D glasses are not needed. I directed the E3 demo. It was based off Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater, but the backgrounds and character modeling were all redone in high polygon. It's not finalized, but we're thinking about CO-OPs and other things - elements fitting of a 3D and portable game machine.

Goichi "Suda51" Suda (No More Heroes, Killer7): It really makes me feel the speed at which the history of video games is unfolding - like, 'We've really made it this far, huh?' You have a living, breathing world you can touch right in your hands. I think we've finally gone from an era of constructing virtual worlds from pixels to one where the world is truly, honestly there. If I had to sum up the sort of game I'd like to make, I would simply call it 'the next game,' because the 3DS marks the arrival of the 'next platform.'

Shu Takami (Phoenix Wright): As a creator, I feel that a new challenge has started...I'd like to show a mystery in a 3D space.[/blockquote]

These are some big names in the Japanese industry, and I'd love to see what someone as legendarily insane as Suda51 or Hideo Kojima could whip up using the 3DS - imagine the Psycho Mantis scene from MGS1, but in 3D.

It's probably unlikely given the relative unpopularity of Western games in Japan, but I'd be curious to see what would happen if Famitsu went to big-name Western developers like Gabe Newell, John Carmack, and Will Wright (and so on) with the same question. I mean, other than Warren Spector saying it "changed his life," [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101676-Warren-Spector-3DS-Changed-My-Life] anyway.

Like I said, Nintendo, I'm already on board. Stop teasing me with all this stuff. If the next things I hear about the 3DS are "how much money" and "when it will come out," I will gladly give you my money, Mr. Iwata.

(Andriasang [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3180378])

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
dang cant wait to play the new kid icarus, metal gear, and assasins creed legacy

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Is the 3DS going to come with a little camera like the DSi? If so, I am 100% sold, if not I am 99% sold.

John Funk said:
imagine the Psycho Mantis scene from MGS1, but in 3D.
He reaches out his hands to me and screams "I can take a hold on your mind! I have a hold on your soul! You aren't ready, go back to completing Kid Icarus." Probably would be one the scariest moments ever.

Calumon: LET ME HEAR YOU *Hug*

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
I am really hoping that this will live up to the sheer amount of positive hype it's garnered. If developers are showing this much interest early on, then the games we're going to get for it should be incredibly amazing. Let's just hope it gets decent third-party support early on.

Also, in the next PR statement, they will announce the 3DS's feature to dispense chocolate chip cookies on a regular basis. (3DS Oven sold separately).

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
The 3ds seems like it will work because its a DS. However i am a little tired of seeing new models of the same machine with udpates. Granted this one seems to have the biggest update, but it is still a gimmik to me. i wish that people would just grind out a single machine for as long as possible. If you dont think it will be good enough, dont put it on the market. Nintendo seems to be trying to improve something that i feel works fine.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
silver wolf009 said:
The 3ds seems like it will work because its a DS. However i am a little tired of seeing new models of the same machine with udpates. Granted this one seems to have the biggest update, but it is still a gimmik to me. i wish that people would just grind out a single machine for as long as possible. If you dont think it will be good enough, dont put it on the market. Nintendo seems to be trying to improve something that i feel works fine.
...this isn't the DS. That's like saying the Game Boy Advance was just the Game Boy Color. It's completely new hardware.

Kiithid

Aug 12, 2009
That along OoT:the 3dnator version.
It'll probly kill my wallet and resort to some sort of evil doing (read as dog walking for a year) but boy it really looks promising.

I wonder if I can use it to decode those damn 3d theaters so I don't have to watch the bloody movie with a massive headache (the glasses press the other glasses).

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
I'll buy it for sure, depending on price point. If it's in the $200-$300 range like I'm fairly certain it will be, the big N has a guaranteed sale in me.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
John Funk said:

It's probably unlikely given the relative unpopularity of Western games in Japan, but I'd be curious to see what would happen if Famitsu went to big-name Western developers like Gabe Newell, John Carmack, and Will Wright (and so on) with the same question. I mean, other than Warren Spector saying it "changed his life," [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101676-Warren-Spector-3DS-Changed-My-Life] anyway.

Like I said, Nintendo, I'm already on board. Stop teasing me with all this stuff. If the next things I hear about the 3DS are "how much money" and "when it will come out," I will gladly give you my money, Mr. Iwata.

(Andriasang [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3180378])

Actually considering his work on the phone market I could easily see Carmack taking a bite out of it, remaking Doom on it would take so little time or even bringing the DoomRPG instead.

Also it seem quite fitting considering how influential Carmack was in the creation of 3D gaming enviroments to working on a truly 3D one.

Really I would prefer to see how much Crytek could make it bleed

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
John Funk said:
silver wolf009 said:
...this isn't the DS. That's like saying the Game Boy Advance was just the Game Boy Color. It's completely new hardware.
I admit that it's new hardware I just feel that the market for the DS is still going strong and I feel that this new renovation is not entirely nessecary. Last i checked the DS was still reffered to as printing money

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, its nice to see everyones been positive for it. Sure to seeplenty of 3rd party game then I hope

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
silver wolf009 said:
John Funk said:
silver wolf009 said:
I admit that it's new hardware I just feel that the market for the DS is still going strong and I feel that this new renovation is not entirely nessecary. Last i checked the DS was still reffered to as printing money

The Gameboy Advance and Playstation 2 were both strong consoles when their next iterations were released. Just because something is still doing well doesn't mean a developer should just sit back and let it go until it stagnates and everyone is sick of their old console. Plus, I don't think the DSi and DSiXL really resparked the DS hardware market and good DS game releases haven't really been accompanied by very much fanfare. Factoring in the age of the DS over all its different hardware revisions, it has enjoyed a healthy lifespan but really, we're all craving the gameplay of the DS with the visual wow of the PSP, and Nintendo went above and beyond.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
I cant wait.

So far all the ideas that have been spun about using the Tech on they system sounds great!
And it sounds like they have a good plan to make use of that Tech.

So i completely agree, once i hear how much it is my next reaction will be to pull out my wallet.
No exceptions.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
Still not interested on it though. After all, I never liked handheld devices. Also I do not like 3D.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Man, everybody is getting on board with the 3DS. This may be the single greatest video game system launch of all time.

Big Max

Aug 29, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
Is the 3DS going to come with a little camera like the DSi? If so, I am 100% sold, if not I am 99% sold.
It comes with a camera which can take 3D pictures!

OT: Man, I really wish they'd set a release date so I can just hand over my money.

Jonsbax

May 4, 2010
The 3D gimmick is the last reason why I'm intrested in 3DS, but I'm still pretty damn intrested. For me it's like an improved PSP that has more developers backing it up, so I'm definitely looking forward to it.