Review: Singularity

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

It's like BioShock and Half-Life 2 had a kid, but it wasn't quite as excellent.

Read Full Article

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
So, it's like Ratchet and Clank: Crack in Time meets Bioshock? I loved both, but I'm really not much of an FPSer. That, and with time and money constraints, I doubt I'll ever get it, and if I rent it, it won't be anytime soon. Time manipulation and funky guns that do cool stuff are always welcome in my life, so it was an interesting review nonetheless.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Definetly look at giving it a rent, could burn over a weekend pretty nicely!

Jul 22, 2009
I seriously think comparisons can kill a game in the review stage... Yeah singularity borrows slightly from Half Life 2 and has a feel of Bioshock.

But I was watching this game for months before buying it on release and I do not regret it.

A brilliantly fun story mode with lots of quirks and a very well thought out online that surprised me that it was actually a lot of fun.

But comparing it just makes the game seem cheaper and not its own in my opinion...

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I myself hated the game.

It's not bad or anything, just incredibly generic.

Anah'ya

a Taffer
Jun 19, 2010
Hubilub said:
I myself hated the game.

Generic maybe. But so is the wheel. What Singularity had what many other FPS don't, was a pretty immersive way of telling it's story by just using the game world and keeping up with a believable pace.

That, and the most fun level I've seen for a while. Who doesn't want to rush through a ship that's falling apart around you?

... which, I guess, boils down to personal taste here. So I shall go and bug someone else.

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
Anah said:
Hubilub said:
I myself hated the game.

Generic maybe. But so is the wheel. What Singularity had what many other FPS don't, was a pretty immersive way of telling it's story by just using the game world and keeping up with a believable pace.

That, and the most fun level I've seen for a while. Who doesn't want to rush through a ship that's falling apart around you?

... which, I guess, boils down to personal taste here. So I shall go and bug someone else.
I think it told the story pretty shit.

It used audio-logs like in Bioshock, but you couldn't pick the things up, so you had to stick around and listen to the damn things.

And there were waaaay too many audio-logs.

And the rest was simply people talking to you through a radio.

Bioshock had a much better narrative (as did Half-Life 2 if we're going by the games that "inspired" this one). This felt inferior, and as a result, much more disappointing.

Also:

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
I plowed through the game in a weekend and it was quite a fun game. I enjoyed it greatly, and the Seeker is just an awesome weapon....and I still hate those fucking phase ticks. Although after playing it, I felt that it was ultimately held back by something I just can't put my finger on. Something about just made it feel 1 notch jsut under greatness, but aside from that it was fun from start till finish.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Hmm, might check it for a rental or when it's cheap. It certainly looks novel enough with the weapons and time manipulation...

Anah'ya

a Taffer
Jun 19, 2010
Hubilub said:
The audio logs are not story elements, they are gimmicks and the means to flesh out the world around you. In fact, these things were the only gripe I had about the game. That, and everything being in English. There I pretend that Renko translates for me. Anyway. IMHO, the story is what your character experiences; the moment he gets involved until the moment the situation is resolved. Half Life 2 and Bioshock were games with good narrative (not the best and not the first to apply their methods, thus making them "generic" as well)--but Singularity had a way more personal touch.

I couldn't get a hang of the main character in Bioshock, while Renko was easy to get. More so, the story began and the beginning, and did a very fluent full circle until it's conclusion. It didn't become washed out in-between, or show any signs that the devs were running out of time, money, or ideas. It was consistent from beginning to end, which is what most FPS (hell, not just that) lack nowadays.

Not pointing at Half Life, not pointing at Bioshock (well, Bioshock 2 maybe, but I digress, I hated that game).

Personal taste again. Singularity wasn't the best thing out there, I still value a whole army of games way above it (System Shock Series, Thief Series being the untouched classics). But it was satisfying to play. Solid.

Personal taste, eh?

.. and no, you are right. This thing is not very entertaining. However it fulfills its purpose, being a wheel and all.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
GamesB2 said:
I seriously think comparisons can kill a game in the review stage... Yeah singularity borrows slightly from Half Life 2 and has a feel of Bioshock.

But I was watching this game for months before buying it on release and I do not regret it.

A brilliantly fun story mode with lots of quirks and a very well thought out online that surprised me that it was actually a lot of fun.

But comparing it just makes the game seem cheaper and not its own in my opinion...
That's because a lot of things in the game AREN'T it's own. That doesn't mean they're not good ideas or not implemented well.

Really, being told "It's not as good as Half Life 2 or BioShock" is not a bad thing because both of those games are legendary :p

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
Anah said:
I think there is one thing we can both agree on.

Bioshock 2 did suck mayor ass.

Otherwise, yeah, I guess it's up for personal taste.

Anah'ya

a Taffer
Jun 19, 2010
Hubilub said:
I think there is one thing we can both agree on.

Bioshock 2 did suck mayor ass.

Otherwise, yeah, I guess it's up for personal taste.
That we can, good Sir.

/tips imaginary hat

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Raven has been lifting and mismashing things for the last decade...... sadly..... Quake 4 and woldenstine were so half assed..... then again epic pretty much sucks as well......

After laying SS2 audio logs have never bothered me they are just elements to the game, I can handle having little or no story, hell string together levels that move from one design to another with different weapons and large well made layouts and puzzles and I wont care about the story...its just a shame graphics and story seem to get the most time/effort and level layout/game play design get the least....

Jul 22, 2009
John Funk said:
I suppose. I just find the initial statement
"It's like BioShock and Half-Life 2 had a kid, but it wasn't quite as good."
sets up for a bit of a bad start. It's evident that's not the case if you read the review and watch the video I just think it would be a shame if people were put off this game because of comparisons.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
John Funk said:

It's like BioShock and Half-Life 2 had a kid, but it wasn't quite as excellent.

Read Full Article
Nice achievement, Funk.

Never thought I'd see one unlock in a review video, to be honest.

If I wasn't so utterly sick of shooter after shooter, I'd pick this up in a heartbeat. Maybe in a few months...when I'm sick of my massive backlog of unfinished RPGs.