Monkey Island Creator Wants to See "Meatier" Downloadable Games

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Monkey Island Creator Wants to See "Meatier" Downloadable Games

Will DeathSpank open the door for a whole new world of downloadable titles? Ron Gilbert hopes so.

When you grab a game from XBLA or PSN, it tends to be a years old classic, or a new game built on a smaller scale. But veteran game designer Ron Gilbert thinks that developers can do more than that with downloadable games, and hope that his new game DeathSpank will blaze a trail for others to follow.

Gilbert says that DeathSpank's design wasn't altered because the game was a download only, and that he doesn't think there's much like it available at the moment: "The game is very different from a lot of stuff that's in the download space," he said. "I'm kind of hoping in a way that it'll open up the door to the Xbox and the PSN having more games with some real meat on them ... and that we can get some really good, interesting games in the download space."

Whether DeathSpank is the title that heralds a new age of downloadable games remains to be seen, but it's hard to argue with Gilbert's vision. Encouraging developers to do new and interesting things is something that few gamers are going to say is a bad idea.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29415/Gilbert_DeathSpank_Could_Pave_The_Way_For_More_Downloads_With_Real_Meat.php]

Zayren

Dec 5, 2008
Eagle Est1986 said:
What the heck is DeathSpank?
An amazing game on the XBLA and PSN. Clicky. [http://lmgtfy.com/?q=DeathSpank&l=1]

Also, I've got a lot of really good games off the XBLA, like Braid, Shadow Complex and Castle Crashers, so it's not exactly like DeathSpank is to be the one to open the doors to Arcade expansion.

heyheysg

Jul 13, 2009
Just got it yesterday, the action elements are pretty decent, RPG has lots of loot. And its funny as hell right off the bat.

And I don't think it's Captain Quark, sounds like him though

Zayren

Dec 5, 2008
heyheysg said:
Just got it yesterday, the action elements are pretty decent, RPG has lots of loot. And its funny as hell right off the bat.

And I don't think it's Captain Quark, sounds like him though
It's not, although it does sound nearly identical. It's uncanny.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
I'm not so sure. Isn't this just extending the AAA arms race of exploding budgets, zero risk and huge hype campaigns to the download services? Making sure the smaller budget and more niche download games don't get any attention.

Ron Gilbert certainly has his own preferences when it comes to games but I find it hard to accept that all these downloadable games are unsatisfying and uninteresting.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
I don't think I want my games to be meatier: I'm a vegetarian.

/terribad pun.

I'm yet to be totally swayed by a download on the XBL Arcade. Maybe I just prefer my game in physical copy, but I just haven't done it yet. Should Deathspank be the first?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I've spent hundreds of dollars on downloadable XBLA titles...And some indie games on PC.

Anyone who says there is only a handful of good games on the Arcade, obviously doesn't play all the trials...I easily have over 40 titles.

Now...the "INDIE GAMES" section of the marketplace...that's flooded with crap like "Baby Maker Extreme", "Avatar Ninja", "Avatar Drop", and "Avatar Avenue". And a bunch of other avatar games. I've only found 5 games worth buying there.

That said, there really isn't any hack n slash RPGs on there. Except for Arkadian Warriors. And that kinda sucked...I mean, it wasn't BAD, it was just bland.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
While I don't care for Deathspank (the humor is extremely forced), I really respect what they've done with the game in terms of design. I'd love to see more XBLA/PSN offerings with that kind of production value and scale.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Im all for it so long as u dont charge me more than $15 :D

Im considering picking up Black Ops Tango Down because of price tag of $15

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I hope so. I've only played the trial and even their Deathspank feels huge for an arcade game. Not to mention it's very funny.

That being said it's not like XBLA and PSN don't have their fair share of titles that I would put head and shoulders above most AAA games, such as Braid, 'Splosion Man, Castle Crashers, Fat Princess, Shadow Complex ect As well as some great cheap titles on indie games like "I made a Game with Zombies Init" or Apple Jack (100 levels for less than a quid). This is just the first time I've seen one as big budget and open worldy as Deathspank.

As long it keeps creating great games I'm happy. Arcade games are one of the few bastians of creativity left in the games industry for me.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Nyeh... it's good intentions, but I don't honestly expect your average X-Box kiddy to have the patience to leave his MW2-Box idle long enough to download a game that's on the same scale as MW2 or L4D. Still, I wish them luck. Every time I say something back about console gamers I hope that someone will prove me wrong. Which... sadly isn't often. :/
oranger said:
And yet somehow, I still don't feel like buying DLC.
Um... this isn't about DLC, it's about full-length games.

oranger

May 27, 2008
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Nyeh... it's good intentions, but I don't honestly expect your average X-Box kiddy to have the patience to leave his MW2-Box idle long enough to download a game that's on the same scale as MW2 or L4D. Still, I wish them luck. Every time I say something back about console gamers I hope that someone will prove me wrong. Which... sadly isn't often. :/
oranger said:
And yet somehow, I still don't feel like buying DLC.
Um... this isn't about DLC, it's about full-length games.
DLC is short for "DownLoadable Content", IE games and content you download, y'know, for money?
I refuse to support it simply because there are no actual quality controls beyond the reviews made by the first handful of suckers to buy the thing.
And by "quality controls" I mean limitations (physical disc, vendor and shelf standards), which creates in part a standard.
Standards aren't always good, sure, but without them you get drek like dragon age.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Zayren said:
Eagle Est1986 said:
What the heck is DeathSpank?
An amazing game on the XBLA and PSN. Clicky. [http://lmgtfy.com/?q=DeathSpank&l=1]

Also, I've got a lot of really good games off the XBLA, like Braid, Shadow Complex and Castle Crashers, so it's not exactly like DeathSpank is to be the one to open the doors to Arcade expansion.
I haven't played it yet, just started downloading it.

Is it possible he means that it is closer to full length than some other DLC? I'd have to compare it to some of the other things I have purchased for similar prices, but if it is longer than say 15-20 hours in one playthrough, I'd say at least in that regard, it would be unique.