Feast Your Eyes on the World's Most Exclusive Arcade Cabinet

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Feast Your Eyes on the World's Most Exclusive Arcade Cabinet

If you're a gamer with expensive tastes and a bank balance to support it, you need to check out the Arcade 80s Trunk, the ultra-luxury stand-up arcade cabinet from French designer Fred Pinel.

Among gamers, owning an arcade stand-up is a real status symbol. They're not cheap, you can't just nip over to the local Walmart to pick one up and they demand a relatively significant amount of otherwise-unused space in the home, so obviously they're not for everyone. But true luxury is a matter of degrees and while your Neo-Geo cabinet may be cool, it's got nothing - I mean, absolutely nothing - on the Arcade 80s Trunk from Pinel & Pinel [http://www.pineletpinel.com/pinel-en/index.php].

This game-room bad boy comes in two versions, "Classic" and "GT," with glued and stitched leather, a chromium-plated dashboard, customizable colors and calfskin dressing, with crocodile and shagreen available upon request. On the tech side of the equation, the Arcade 80s Trunk features a 1080p LCD screen and a 1400 watt "very high definition" sound system with an iPod dock that will rattle your teeth at 110 decibels.

And what's an arcade cabinet without some games? The Arcade 80s Trunk includes 60 "unforgettable" classics including Pac-Man, Space Invaders, 1942 and, judging by the promotional image, Galaga.

So how much does something like this cost? If you have to ask, you can't afford it, so prices are posted. Here's a hint, though, just to give you an idea of what you're dealing with: The French edition of Vogue for December 2009 features an exclusive Courchevel ski set designed by Pinel & Pinel, with bindings, poles, gloves, mask and a glove box. The price: $64,500.

via: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5587526/would-you-buy-this-arcade-cabinet]

Feb 13, 2008
$64,500...

Little bit pricey. Even for an original Rolling Thunder.

Anyway, what's the fun of playing a game that doesn't have coke and fag ash spilt all over it, with that musty smell of decade old armpits?

C'mon...if you want to get the REAL experience, go for broke.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
... with glued and stitched leather, a chromium-plated dashboard, customizable colors and calfskin dressing, with crocodile and shagreen available upon request. On the tech side of the equation, the Arcade 80s Trunk features a 1080p LCD screen and a 1400 watt "very high definition" sound system with an iPod dock that will rattle your teeth at 110 decibels.
I'm really glad someone can play Pac-Man and Galaga on that. Because those games really need that kind of hardware.

For that kind of money, I'd fill a room with originals instead.

Sougo

Mar 20, 2010
As far as arcade machines go, this ones kinda ugly.

Um ... does it come in black?

Xiorell

Jan 9, 2010
So, essentially, I can get stuff that does all that, and does it much better (110dB...and what?), for a lot less money? Hmm let me think

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Xiorell said:
So, essentially, I can get stuff that does all that, and does it much better (110dB...and what?), for a lot less money? Hmm let me think
I'd be willing to bet you could build your own cabinet for a lot cheaper. Granted, you'll need some technical and woodworking know-how, but I'd have a lot more pride in one I built myself.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Yeah, this is a product for rich idiots.
I'll shall be avoiding, for I believe myself to have neither trait...
ah well, life.

I'll have the money eventually, but I don't think I shall ever be drunk enough to spend it on this.

wolfister

Oct 20, 2008
I think I would feel like the biggest moron of the year if I shelled out that kind of money for this thing. Also why does the joystick look so long?

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
So it's unattractive, expensive and badly over-engineered?

Galaga's, what, 288x225pixels? That'll look just fantastic stretched over a digital screen at 1080p, ick.

And it really makes no odds how good your speakers are for older games because low fidelity sound is just that.

I can use a high quality CRT monitor, midrange laptop, buttons, joysticks a pile of arcade cartridges and some reasonable speakers and build myself a MAME cabinet that's a solid as most real arcade machines. And my time sure as hell isn't worth the remaining thousands of dollars especially as I'd probably enjoy getting it just so.

Baron Khaine

Jun 24, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
$64,500...

Little bit pricey. Even for an original Rolling Thunder.

Anyway, what's the fun of playing a game that doesn't have coke and fag ash spilt all over it, with that musty smell of decade old armpits?

C'mon...if you want to get the REAL experience, go for broke.
Thats the price of the ski stuff, the price of the games cabinet thing isn't even posted, not even on there website, because if you have to ask, you really can't afford it. I'm thinking 100k+.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Not bad looking, but not something i would put in my house even i could afford it. Seems more like a show-ff gadget. Personally, id just prefer to make the trunk myself, exactly as i like, at just the materials/hardware costs. I'm comfortable enough with woodworking to pull it off with maybe a little help form 1 or 2 of friends.
This just screams as waste of resources and perfectly good chrome.

VirusHunter

Nov 19, 2009
Well most cabinets are around $400-$1500 each so for something as luxurious as this the price is "somewhat" fair...but I won't be splurging on one of these anytime soon. I've got a modded Xbox, I have no need for any other kind of arcade megastation.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
I don't see the appeal, it really doesn't look that good IMO.

Buy a cheaper one for around 1000 pounds or so?

Anacortian

May 19, 2009
I'm just happy that the French stood-up and gave us an answer to the question, "Is it possible for an arcade cabinet to offend PETA?" Could I get this with Cooking Mama and a hunting game?

Now I'm going to go listen to "If I had a million dollars" by the Bare Naked Ladies.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
This sucks. Ugly as hell, looks like a laundry bin and the color was chosen by someone who clearly has very little to do with the 80's. I bet it's uber shitty as a speaker too compared to the audio system one can buy for half its price. Wouldn't buy it even if I had 50M in the bank.

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
The high specs are wasted if it only plays retro games. I saw another arcade cabinet on TV with high-spec PC functionality, and I'm sure it was cheaper than this thing.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
I don't know why, but I can perfectly see that cabinet in the lounge room of a spaceship.