Mafia II Producer Explains Mafia's Infamous "Race Car Level"

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Mafia II Producer Explains Mafia's Infamous "Race Car Level"

The reason the race car level in Mafia wound up being incredibly aggravating is so simple, you may not actually believe it.

"It was brutal," says Mafia II Senior Producer Denby Grace, of the iconic open-world mobster game's infamous car racing level - a level so hard most players couldn't get past it and gave up. He says it was one of the few criticisms he gave 2K Czech (formerly Illusion Softworks) when he joined the team to create Mafia II.

Talk to anybody who played Mafia, and if they agree on nothing else, they'll all agree that damn level can die in a flaming car hurled off a cliff. It wasn't so much that the race itself was hard, but that controlling the race car - the fastest and most difficult to handle vehicle in the game - was next to impossible.

The game was set in a fictional "New York-style" U.S. city in the 1920s-30s era and featured dozens of period-specific cars. As the game progressed, players gained access to newer and better cars, with varying top speeds and handling characteristics, but the "Race Car Level," as it is not-so-affectionately known, threw players directly into the seat of a single-seat, open-top roadster for a "do or die" race mission. Come in first and you complete the level. Come in any position other than first and you have to play the mission over until you get it right.

Grace describes a meeting with the writer and director of Mafia, Daniel Vavra, who asked him what he thought of the game. "Maybe after a few more beers," said Grace.

He says he eventually admitted that he liked the game as a whole, but hated that damn race car level.

According to Grace, Vavra simply nodded his head and said "I know."

As for why that mother-loving level was so hard, Denby says he took a tour of the studio in Brno, Czech Republic and finally discovered the answer: The designers responsible for many of Mafia's original levels - including "The Race Car Level" - were all sitting at computers with racing wheels.

"Those guys were making a race car game," he says, adding that the difficulty curve is an aspect of the original game they've heavily adjusted for the sequel.

Be sure to check out our hands-on preview of Mafia II [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/7850-Preview-Mafia-II].

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
This made me laugh, and with good reason that added that part.
I did finish that part though, it was just a very hard one.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Don't remind me of THAT level.
Even the slightest tab too much left or right and the car could go up in flames

WrongSprite said:
Russ Pitts said:
he liked the game as a hole
Tut tut :)

OT: That was a horrible level, I skipped it in the end.
Wait? It was possible to skip that level?

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Well i cant say its surprising that they love their race sim style mainly because of This [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masaryk_Circuit]

Never played the original Mafia game. Will however be checking out the sequel as it looks like it will be awesome

DominicxD

Dec 28, 2009
I had to get the patch that made the race easier to do it lol.

God I hated that level.

The level before it was a pain too but at least it was pretty tense, the race level was just irritating.

Aug 4, 2009
Oh yes, the race car level. All I have to say is praised be "insert deity of your choice here" for the glitch that basically let you insta-win the bloody thing.

Valkyrie101

May 17, 2010
The level before was a bastard, where you had to steal the race car, but the race itself, IIRC, wasn't especially hard. Then again, maybe that was the sole advantage of the PS2 version.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Man, this level and the level before* it were a total ***** to complete, especially on the PC with keyboard controls. There were plenty of race/chase levels in the game besides it, but this was a monumentally difficult level thrown at you early in the game that led to a ton of rage-quits.

*(The level before involved stealing a similar race car, driving it to a garage to get it sabotaged, and then return it before the time limit was up, all without damaging or even scratching it. It kind of gave you an idea of what to expect in the next level and how the racecars handled, but the time limit forced you to drive like a maniac through the city with insane precision).

DeepComet5581

Mar 30, 2010
Furburt said:
You know, I actually beat that race the first time. Going back to it now, I suppose I must have just been lucky, but back when I did I didn't understand anyone saying that the race was difficult.

Anyway, it seems they're learning from their mistakes, of which there are thankfully very few.

I'm giddy with excitement for this game.
Touché.

Sampsa

May 8, 2008
Man, during the first playthrough that level took several hours to complete. When I played the game later on I just lowered the difficulty setting or something to get it right with one try.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Khaiseri said:
This made me laugh, and with good reason that added that part.
I did finish that part though, it was just a very hard one.
Agreed, by the time I finished, I think it had killed most of the fun I had by that point, heh

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
I never beat that fucking level.

When the game was new, I was still I didn't know of any patches and even if there was I was still using a 56k modem.

Once I invited a friend over to my house who had high functioning autism. The guy was obsessed with cars and driving games which he was Godlike at. I decided to show him Mafia, and let him give the level a test drive. He came the closest I've seen to anyone beating that damn level, making it repeatedly to the final lap, and a few hundred feet from the finish line.

But those glimmers of hope were always eclipsed by the darkness of a slight flip that would send him to his death. After a few game overs I went to the bathroom and came back to see that level had angered him so much he was SCREAMING WHILE SMASHING THE KEYBOARD AND THROWING THINGS ACROSS THE ROOM. This was one of the few times he scared me, and made me feel unsafe.

(Initially I believed the Angry German Kid was real because of him.)

The patches for Mafia (that supposedly make the level easier) always broke the entire game for me, requiring a reinstall. (4 CDs I think) I eventually bypassed it by downloading a saved game.

May 1, 2010
This may have something to do with me playing it on the PS2, but I completed this level for the first time not 3 weeks ago, this being the first time playing the game.

I didn't realise this was the level that caused infurium, I knew there was something but was expecting it later on. I guess I was lucky.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Rex Dark said:
Don't remind me of THAT level.
Even the slightest tab too much left or right and the car could go up in flames

WrongSprite said:
Russ Pitts said:
he liked the game as a hole
Tut tut :)

OT: That was a horrible level, I skipped it in the end.
Wait? It was possible to skip that level?
With the patch they brought out, yes.

Anywho, that certainly explains why that level was such a sudden spike in difficultly.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Actually that was my favorite level of Mafia .... This does not bode well if this means the physics have been murdered. What is so hard about forcing people to learn to drive properly? .. its supposed to be a legal requirement for your licence .. but I guess it will no longer be nessisary anywhere.