Preview: Mafia II

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Preview: Mafia II

Russ Pitts gets a look at Mafia II and likes what he sees ... and hears.

Read Full Article

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Furburt said:
This looks fucking great. That's pretty much all I can say on the matter.

I loved, scratch that, adored the first Mafia game. It remains to this day, one of my favourite sandbox games.

Nothing I've seen of Mafia II has convinced me that it's going to be any less brilliant.
Well said.
Mafia is, to me, the shining example of a story done right in a sandbox game.
Even if you disregard the amazing period sets and cars, the satisfying gun play, the fun missions, and the amazing music, the story alone lofts the first Mafia above so many other sandbox titles. GTA4's story, lauded as the best in the series, has nothing on Mafia's tale. I can only say that I teared up at the end. No joke.

I'm very much looking forward to the sequel!
It'll be a day-one buy for me, no question.

Great preview Russ! I'm incredibly jealous.

RoyalWelsh

Feb 14, 2010
Cannot wait for this game. The first Mafia was excellent and from what i've seen and heard, the second one is going to be just as good, if not better.

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
Sounds interesting. I never played the first one, but I'll be checking this one out.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Sounds pretty good and immersive. like the use of music to get the mood going. GTA was more realistic but getting in a car after giving a serious beatdown only to have that inane chat radio wash over did soil the mood somewhat.

Oh and also that song is pure awesome grew up with a CD with that on....off to iTunes methinks

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Personally I don't see what all the fuss is about...

WHO AM I FUCKING KIDDING?!

The past 3 years since it's announcement have been absolute agony; I would sell my soul to play this game right now.

No game beats the original Mafia in story, ambition or characters. It's my all-time favourite, and this looks set to beat it's (God)Father.

Dhatz

Aug 18, 2009
third paragraph said:
"Everybody says 'driving around listening to music,'" says Denby Grace, Senior Producer of Mafia II, talking about what gamers appreciated most about Mafia.
I cannot appreciate what I don't enjoy. quote from Special Teamz-big top:
the music you puttin out sucks, so what's the purpose?

Sampsa

May 8, 2008
Finaly The Day is drawing closer! Played trough the firts game five times. And while waiting for the sequel played the Godfather series twice as well Max Paynes. Finaly Mafia is coming back. Just have to wait untill the end of the next month.

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
Wish it would be available via Steam though. Just checked, it doesn't appear in the Steam Store. I prefer steam for a few reasons:

-No CD/DVDs to worry about - whether its a dvd check, or a year later I want to play/reinstall and who knows where the discs went in the meantime.
-Automatic patch updates
-And sometimes the DRM scheme is removed in favor of Steam's inherent drm.

Alpha Centauri said:
Anyone know where I can get my hands on Mafia 1?
Go to Amazon... multiple platforms are listed there through some of their resellers. If you've never used their resellers before, I have. Fully reliable. No worries. Including returns if you're not happy - though of course, you usually can't return a game due to piracy issues. Just saying, in general, the resellers are a perfectly safe buying option.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Played the first game, didn't enjoy it. Who knows, maybe I was too young to appreciate the atmosphere
I'll definitely give this one a try.

Weird coincidence: I'm not a big fan of radio, but the one station I actually like in my country is - you guessed it - Delta Radio.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Every time I see this game, I'm overcome with excitment

Then I forget about it...again. It's taking too long, dagnabit!

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Oh my god... being as music-centric as I am, this sounds like one of the most fantastic things... I really, really want to get this game now. The concept of that is ingenious, and because so much of the game is built around driving, they can pull it off without it seeming forced. I should play the first one to get ready for it maybe.

H0ncho

Feb 4, 2008
Do they ever write anything critical in previews?

It's just that every preview I've ever read on this site reads like a godforsaken advertisement. Now I realize that is how it has to be in order to be invited to play them but come on now this is getting ridiculous.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
H0ncho said:

It's just that every preview I've ever read on this site reads like a godforsaken advertisement. Now I realize that is how it has to be in order to be invited to play them but come on now this is getting ridiculous.
Did you not read their last preview of Final Fantasy 14?

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
H0ncho said:
This is something we've talked a lot about in the office here. The problem with previews is that they're very limited in terms of what the publisher is showing, and they're almost always going to show you the best parts of the game. So, unless the game completely sucks (in which case they won't do a preview) it's hard to spotlight the terrible bits.

We try to make up for that by focusing on the experience of playing the preview, rather than the graphics and other elements. And by keeping in mind that the final review may be different.

At the end of the day, it's a preview, not a review. You couldn't buy the game right now even if you wanted to. So, if you want to read about it, we write about it. And we ask that you come back when it's review time so that we can tell you if it really is worth your money.

Also, if you're telling me I didn't write anything negative about this preview, then you didn't read it closely enough. That boxing mini-game was kind of lousy.

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
I'm not swayed. Is there still a market for this sort of thing? It just feels to me that these type of games are the washed up remnants of the PS2 era, the sort of thing that gets released at the end of a consoles life to scrape up those last few sales from the people who don't plan to upgrade their system right away.