Rumor: Atari's Resurrecting Even More Classic Games

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Rumor: Atari's Resurrecting Even More Classic Games

According to Gamefly, Atari's planning to release revamped versions of two classic games next year.

Atari seems to be on a revival kick this week. A few days ago, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102073-Atari-Reanimates-Its-First-Ever-Survival-Horror-Game>it was revealed that the publisher is planning to re-launch its survival horror game Haunted House. Now it seems that more classic videogame revamps are in the works, thanks to an accidental reveal on Gamefly.

Gamefly, the mail rental service for videogames, has listed both Centipede as upcoming titles for both the PS3 and 360. While gamers are likely familiar with Centipede, Star Raiders <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Raider>might require a little explaining. The game is a space dogfight title, much like Wing Commander was. Released in the late 1970s and early 1980s, the game was <a href=http://www.atariarchives.org/creativeatari/The_Atari_Machine.php>criticized by some as being too violent, but it was often used in stores as an example of how powerful the Atari systems' graphics were.

According to Gamefly, Star Raiders is set to be released in January 2011 with Centipede arriving in in March. While Atari hasn't confirmed any of this news, Gamefly is usually pretty accurate when listing upcoming titles. Still, until the publisher makes an official announcement, it's probably best to treat this as a rumor.

Source: Siliconera

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Deofuta said:
Wait a moment, is that a TIE Bomber right there?
A poorly-veiled rip-off, yes.

I will take a knock-off TIE Fighter though. I would love a decent space dogfighter designed for modern systems.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Virgil said:
Deofuta said:
Wait a moment, is that a TIE Bomber right there?
A poorly-veiled rip-off, yes.

I will take a knock-off TIE Fighter though. I would love a decent space dogfighter designed for modern systems.
hehe, I suppose it makes sense, coming out near the same time as the movies right? Only real breakthrough of SF at the time.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Star Raiders, sure. That's at least got the potential for a game... but are they seriously saying they want to make a full-fledged, full price game based on Centipede? or is it going to be a revamped version for the digital download stores? The page seems to make it look like the former, but I dunno.

I guess I could see it as a top-down shooter type of game, but I'm still wary. We'll see when we see.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
This reminds me, did anyone play Pong: the next level released in 1999?
I LOVED that game, it was great!

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
AC10 said:
I still have it, and even play it from time to time.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
ShadowKatt said:
AC10 said:
I still have it, and even play it from time to time.
cool! I completely forgot about it until this post jogged my memory!

Jun 6, 2009
My dad used to play Atari 2600 like mad back in the late 70's with his older brother. Man, I now have a way to get him back into videogames. Other than Red Alert and Civ.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
I liked Star Raiders, but personally I spent a lot more time playing its Activision-flavored cousin, Star Master.

Jack_Uzi

Mar 18, 2009
Yay! Wing commander is back! That game was good! I must admit that I'm looking forward to it.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
They seem to be all about thi revamp stuff at the moment...well, cant say its not welcome!

Con Carne

Nov 12, 2009
Not really looking forward to those titles, but I am anxious to see what other titles Atari will remake.

capt.fodder

Sep 6, 2009
Star Raiders inspired one of my all-time favourites: Elite. If someone gives me an Elite-style game on my PS3, my family may never see me again...

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
They're remaking Centipede? They already did that. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centipede_%281998_video_game%29]