Clicks and Giggles: Storytelling

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Clicks and Giggles: Storytelling

For as long as we can remember, humankind have been storytellers. We tell stories in celebration and in remorse; to entertain and to educate; to preserve and to destroy. With the advent of the Internet, what might have taken generations - the creation of a single story - we can now do in a single forum thread.

The Escapist boasts a thriving creative community, and we want you to come together and create your own story. Here is how it will work: We will start the story and then the next person writes 1 or 2 sentences to continue the story. From there, people just keep contributing. Feel free to write multiple posts but not one right after the other - give others a chance to chime in! And please, no vulgarity or sexual references.

By the end of the thread, we will have created a stellar story, certain to be sung about for years to come.

It begins ...

Grant and Sully were planning to meet up with online friends later that night, and enjoy a relaxing, quiet game of Team Fortress 2. Unfortunately for Grant, an epic spill the night before had rendered his keyboard completely useless. Before heading home, Grant and Sully stopped by the game store to purchase a new keyboard.

Upon entering the store, they were greeted by a sales clerk. Though the clerk was polite, Grant and Sully both noticed that there something a bit odd about the gentlemen. As they were led to the computer department, Grant noticed the clerk had an interesting tattoo behind his left ear - but where had he seen that marking before?

BrailleOperatic

Jul 7, 2010
It looked like a large flamingo, spewing fire from its mouth, and rolling what appeared to be two twenty sided dice. It was hypnotizing, this flamingo. He found himself unable to look away. Even if he wanted to, he was much to enthralled in this strange, arcane bird's visage to refocus his brain onto anything else. But...but he had to...he needed his...keyboard...

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
What the hell just happened? Grant thought to himself. And where's Sully? Hell, where am I? It was a large warehouse, full of long rows of shelves with unmarked boxes on them. Definitely not the back room of the game store.

Grant looked around, trying to find a way out. But then, he heard footsteps to one side, and low voices. Instinct told him he did not want to meet these people... instinct, or strangely, the flamingo tattoo. It seemed to tug at his skin, pulling him away from the approaching strangers to hide somewhere...

Jun 26, 2009
The flamingo hid him behind some boxes and Grant looked out behind them.
It was Auron. 'where did that mainiac go?' he said Grant continued to hide behind the boxes when Auron smashed them. 'AHA! I found you!' Suddenly Grant lashed out controled by the tat and ran for it.
Auron of FFX

Sam G

Jul 14, 2009
"Damn it..." Grant mumbled. All he had wanted was a keyboard, and now he had a demon tattoo and a JRPG character to deal with...
Running would get him nowhere. Auron was pimp enough to outrun a jaguar on rollerskates; he knew that. Grant's only option was to fight.
Quick as lightning, the victim of fate spun on his heel, whipping a pair of handguns out of his pockets and aiming them at the incoming badass. "Bring the pain!" he yelled, trying to appear more confident than he felt, and blotted out the shadow of the other man in a storm of bullets.

BrailleOperatic

Jul 7, 2010
But Auron would have none of that. The man's grievously overpowered Final Fantasy skills seemed to be insurmountable, as he tucked in and out of the rain of bullets. He hefted his katana high above his head and swung down in a massive, over elaborate slow motion sequence, giving him time to think. What did I do to deserve this, he thought to himself, what kind of bizzaro world did I get sucked into? This all wrong. So wrong. Wrong wrong wrong wrong WRONG!

And suddenly, the flamingo tattoo lit up.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
The flamingo leapt off of Grant's skin, it's hooked beak spewing flame at Auron. The two dice flew through the air before coming to stop on twin twenties. The bird's savage attack simply dissolved the video game warrior into wisps of pixelated smoke.

Grant just stared at the scene, disbelieving. The flamingo collapsed back into two dimensions and took it's new place on his skin.

As Grant continued to try and make sense of all this, a figure stepped from the shadows of a high shelf. "So, it's true... the rumors of the great power that it holds..." He gestured to the bizarre ink that now marked Grant...

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
What do you know of this flamingo Playa!(Grant spoke in jive when he became angry)
Grant shouted at the man who stood before him.

The stranger replied as he stepped back into the shadows,
My friend that question is for another day

Grant now confused and alone prayed to Lee Van Cleef to save him or at least rid him of the undoubtable evils of the Tattoo scared onto his skin.

Suddenly Grants phone rang, It was Sully.........

Rasputin1

Don't panic
Apr 6, 2010
"Dude, what the HELL happened? One minute we were buying a keyboard, the next I wake up at home in my bed. Where you at?" Sully asked.

"Oh, you woke up at home? Well lucky bloody you, I've just had a run in with Auron, and then this .. this strange tattoo sort of... Ate him? I don't fucking know. All I do know is you need to get me the hell outta here!" Grant replied, his voice rising with panic after every sentence.

"Haha, that's a good one mate, a tattoo attacking Auron.. We both know Auron could stand against a whole army and not suffer a scratch. Anyways man, I gotta head off, got some shit ta see to."

"No wait!" Too late, Sully was gone.

BrailleOperatic

Jul 7, 2010
"God...freaking....NINE THOUSAND!" He yelled as he crushed his cellphone in his hand. He threw the device away, its small clattering echoing weakly in the large warehouse. He collapsed down into an awkward squatting fetal position, gripping his head tightly, desperately trying to make sense of what was going. No, no, NO, he thought angrily, lashing his head from side, trying to deny his situation out of existence. This is just too weird, this can't be happening. It can't, it can't, it can't!
Then, in a deep baritone, there came a voice. "Need some help, friend?"

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
As a strange muscular black fellow with a trench coat on and a patch over his eye approached him.
"Nick Fury?" Grant asked as if this bizzare day couldn't get any more so. "What would you know about the tatoo or what ever it is thats flipping everything on its head?" he asked before Nick opened his mouth to say....

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
"Please, call me Ishmael"
Nick spoke with the rolling grace of a cat in a tumble dryer.

Grant stood shaking off the Auron dust he had been rolling in and walked to Nic....Ishmael.
"Let's get out of this wearhouse, I hear on a full moon that it can turn into a wolf!"

Little did Grant know one such of a moon was looming behind a cloud. [small]That had a rather large sword[/small]

Knight of Cydonia

Sep 22, 2008
Grant hastily remembered that gaming still was his top priory. No matter what happened he was still going to play that team fortress 2 game dead or alive.

He quickly yelled at the top of his voice 'Hey, Ishmael. This all happened because I needed a keyboard and nothings stopping me from getting it, not even you.' Ishmael Stared at him for a second and replied with.....

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Thrown by a shockwave, Grant flew through the air and landed in a conviniently placed dumpster full of bubble wrap.

"Oh, fucking great" - he thought to himself. "Here i had someone who could have explained this all to me, or at least help. And now he goes boom."

Grant glanced at what he's landed in. He popped one bubble, then another. He was about to forget everything and lay waste to this rich deposit of bubble wrap, when he heard some sound coming from the sky. The roar of airplane motors, punctuated by the sonic boom of jets flying overhead. Faraway explosions. Then the music: the electric guitar buildup over the sound of boots stomping on a pavement and first riffs as someone shouted through a megaphone. There was no doubt - it was the sign of an invasion, the anthem of pure evil and destruction...

Sgt_Jakeman214

Jul 19, 2010
And so, Grant saw his chance to fulfill his destiny, to save the world in real life as he had done in games innumerable. He jumped out of the dumpster and saw sitting next to it, a Gibson Les Paul guitar. Grant took the guitar, and walked towards the landing zones. He knew that the only thing that could defeat the Soviet invaders from the past was the power of ROCK 'N' ROLL!!!

And High above, Jesus saw Grant in his plight, and decided to aid him. He clapped his hands, and delivered to Grant an Army of bands, old and new, grand and small. All who rocked gathered behind Grant. The army stopped, now facing the assembled Soviet invaders. Grant looked around him, and sighed. "How the hell did all these people get here? Oh well, time to save the world!" And with that, he took his guitar and began to play the opening riff from one of Rock's greatest songs.

He began to play ... FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK (WE SALUTE YOU)!

And as he played, the army of bands behind him started as well.

AND EPICNESS WAS BLASTED TO THE FOUR CORNERS OF THE GLOBE!!!

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
Pulling out his copy of the necrnomicon, Grant began chanting the words
"Klatu Verda Nicto"

A rumble shook the ground, cracks appeared and climbing forth from the very depths of awesome stood tall the legends of rock to save the earth again.
Jimi Hendrix, Elvis Presley, Jim Morrison and Many others took up their weapons and charged at the evils of this musical world for the final EPIC battle.

BrailleOperatic

Jul 7, 2010
The two sides clashed in a battle that raged across the globe.
Elvis went toe-to-toe with the Lady Gaga, their battle ravaging the Atlantic Ocean. He worked his Pelvis and his new-born rock the way only a true King could, but he was unable to read her Poker Face and the two were locked in a stale mate, the would threaten the very fabric of Atlantic society.
Hendrix hit one note on his guitar, and Miley Cyrus was blown away in an instant--like her career will be when she reaches adulthood.
But Bieber, proved most powerful of all the villainous tumours upon society. His and Morrison's fight rolled across the Asian continent--ironically centering in North Korea--as the struggled for dominance. But no matter how hard Morrison rocked, how sweet his chords were, or how epic his skills were, they were never quite enough to overpower the sheer force of suck emanating from him. Without the weight of testosterone to slow him down, he sucked circles around Morrison. His suck created a massive hurricane, swallowing Morrison whole.
Leaving Jimi Hendrix the only one left--with Elvis still locked in his eternal battle with Lady Gaga--to fight Justin Bieber.

Sgt_Jakeman214

Jul 19, 2010
Suddenly, a great thunderclap tore the sky asunder, and the heavens themselves opened. From the clouds descended a stairway of pure awesome, and a lone figure appeared, walking down it. With one guitar. And on that guitar the soft sound began to flow, the opening bars of Led Zeppelin's immortal song began to flow down upon the mortal plains, aiding Jimi Hendrix in his battle against the epic suckness of Justin Bieber.

Not to be outdone, The devil cracked open the groung below Lady Gaga, revealing the Highway to Hell. With the aid of AC/DC's epic rocking, Elvis was able to gain the upper hand in his battle with Lady Gaga, breaking her Disco Stick into pieces and burning them in the Fire and the Flames of Dragonforce.

However, Justin Bieber remained as sucky as ever, and refused to be beaten. Drastic measures would need to be taken.