Blizzard Dropped Over $100 Million On StarCraft II

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Blizzard Dropped Over $100 Million On StarCraft II

Getting StarCraft II out of the door was an extremely costly venture for Blizzard, not that it matters in the long run.

Blizzard's style of making a videogame that is ready "when it's ready" sure costs a lot of money. The Wall Street Journal is StarCraft II [http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704682604575369093457494042.html] cost more than $100 million to develop. Add in other expenses such as advertising and such, and StarCraft II becomes quite an expensive game to bring to market.

Don't forget that some of that advertising budget included putting StarCraft [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101628-Fly-the-Unfriendly-Skies-in-the-StarCraft-747] was still making its way into the top ten of PC game sales more than ten years after it was released in 1998, and has sold more than 11 million copies to date. StarCraft II has the potential to move just as many copies as the original, if not more.

Blizzard President Mike Morhaime told the Wall Street Journal that he hopes to recoup some of that $100 million investment by bringing in players from World of Warcraft, which is more popular worldwide than breathing. "We've brought in a lot of new players in the beta testing who've been playing World of Warcraft but have never tried Starcraft," he said. Including an exclusive World of Warcraft pet in $25 for a mount [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99804-StarCraft-II-Collectors-Edition-Revealed].

Activision-Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick has described StarCraft II as one of the company's seven "pillars of opportunity," which could each provide more than $500 million and up to even $1 billion in profit over the total product life span. With millions of copies expected to sell this year alone at $60 a pop, StarCraft II could be in the black before we celebrate 2011.

We can't ignore that the release of StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty is the first in the StarCraft II trilogy, focusing on the Terran race for now and moving on to the Protoss and Zerg later, so yeah, I don't think $1 billion is crazy to expect at all. In fact, it might be a little low. With these crazy amounts of profit, why not spend even more in the future? I wonder what a $200 million game would be like?

StarCraft II will begin to amass its massive profits on July 27.

[UPDATE]The Wall Street Journal admitted it made an error with the $100 million figure. It turns out that amount was spent on World of Warcraft, not StarCraft II. Blizzard hasn't released its budget for StarCraft II, but it probably cost somewhere between $1 million and $1 billion.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
i'm sure the nation of korea will singlehandedly make that entire amount back on day 1.

but regardless of korea, it certainly justifies that 60 dollar pricetag, i'd think.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
So that's what, $10m per year? ;)

I'd really be curious to see the breakdown of expenses here, to get a feeling for how much it'll cost them to make the expansions. Obviously they have the core engine and units and the like, but they still need to do CGI (mmmm, Blizzard CGI), voice-overs, new animations, etc.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
John Funk said:

I'd really be curious to see the breakdown of expenses here, to get a feeling for how much it'll cost them to make the expansions. Obviously they have the core engine and units and the like, but they still need to do CGI (mmmm, Blizzard CGI), voice-overs, new animations, etc.
well i'm sure a LOT of this had to do with redesigning battle.net, as well as creating a lot of structure for the multiplayer and the overall engine. i'd think that hte expansions, sitting on existing architecture, should be significantly cheaper to produce.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
Korea will make most the profit on the first day, If not all considering its a damn sport over there. As never trying the first StarCraft I don't know what to expect but I am going to buy the second. Yet 100 Million in it lets hope its good.

Rakkana

Nov 17, 2009
I'm going to play starcraft 1 until it's cheap.

Take that blizzard! Pull this crap on diablo again and I'll boycott you for good!

sune26

Not sure what to put here
Apr 13, 2009
I sure hope they don't take as long making the expansions as they did making Wings of Liberty. I don't think they will since they have the the engine and battle net 2.0 which took them so long.

JerrytheBullfrog

Dec 30, 2009
Rakkana said:

Take that blizzard! Pull this crap on diablo again and I'll boycott you for good!
Pull this crap?

...spending lots of money and time on a game until it's great? That's kind of their schtick you know.

Or did you mean the $60 price (which was also for WC3 and Diablo 2) and expansions (which every Blizzard game has had)?

SC1 is a great game to play tho :)

Rakkana

Nov 17, 2009
JerrytheBullfrog said:
Rakkana said:

Pull this crap?

...spending lots of money and time on a game until it's great? That's kind of their schtick you know.

Or did you mean the $60 price (which was also for WC3 and Diablo 2) and expansions (which every Blizzard game has had)?

I mean the price and the mucked around release date.

I've also heard their releasing each character class in a different expansion pack. So we have to may extra for full content. Don't know if it's true or not but my previous reasons are enough for me to be pissed.

Also you don't know if it's great yet. All we have is a few game play videos.

GoGo_Boy

May 12, 2010
JerrytheBullfrog said:
Rakkana said:

Pull this crap?

The older games may have cost 60$ as well but it's obviously Koticks fault *trollface*

On a serious note, I think it is actually more. Regarding the development time and amount of people working on all the different stuff. 100$? I'm quite sure it's more.
Also, where do these guys get their information from? Don't tell me they just made them up...

Edit: Lol Rakkana. We're playing the Beta, you know? Just finished playing ChessCraft against a friend. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS_6P_PNS04
Full functional chess game with sweet units. Should remind you about Magic / Wizard Chess from Harry Potter ;o

The game is in fact awesome and it gets two normal expansions. Where is the frigging problem? Did you see the campaign previews? If so, you should now why they did go this way. And expansions where pretty much set before they even started development. This time they just wanted to improve their campaign by making 3 epic ones for each race and Game / Add-on.

And Blizzard Add-ons have always been worth their price so... again no point in being angry about the oh so "greedy" Blizzard.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Rakkana said:
JerrytheBullfrog said:
Rakkana said:

Pull this crap?

I've also heard their releasing each character class in a different expansion pack. So we have to may extra for full content. Don't know if it's true or not but my previous reasons are enough for me to be pissed.

You're joking, right?

And yes, SC2 is great.
uppitycracker said:
John Funk said:

well i'm sure a LOT of this had to do with redesigning battle.net, as well as creating a lot of structure for the multiplayer and the overall engine. i'd think that hte expansions, sitting on existing architecture, should be significantly cheaper to produce.
True. I wish they'd spent more on B.net 2.0 though. Kinda a mess right now.

Rakkana

Nov 17, 2009
John Funk said:
Rakkana said:
JerrytheBullfrog said:
Rakkana said:

Pull this crap?

You're joking, right?
Yeah I didn't have much faith in that rumor...

I'll shut up now.

Enzeru92

Oct 18, 2008
I'll help blizzard out and buy the game even though I've never played Starcraft besides am a WoW player as is so i hope I get something cool lol

Volafortis

Oct 7, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
StarCraft II will being to amass its massive profits on July 27
Found a typo for you.

And I'd assume most of the budget went to advertising. I mean, they licensed 747s!

John Funk said:
True. I wish they'd spent more on B.net 2.0 though. Kinda a mess right now.
Also, I agree here. It seems like it has less overall functionality than the original Battle.Net. It has more bells and whistles, for sure, but it's missing a lot of core features that made WC3, SC1, and D2 BNet great.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
Just Wow. I will probably play it somewhere next year, as I cannot buy any computer component or game this one, so yeah. Hopefully it won't disappoint, which would be surprising if it does since Blizzard never has.

Sir Bob

Jan 14, 2010
sune26 said:
I sure hope they don't take as long making the expansions as they did making Wings of Liberty. I don't think they will since they have the the engine and battle net 2.0 which took them so long.
Legacy of the Void will be released 2 months after Wings of Liberty, and Heart of the Swarm will be unleashed 2 months after that. The point is that they already have all the models etc, they just need to add new missions, a few units and all the specials that come with the missions.

If Avatar the movie can pass the billion marker, so can Starcraft 2, if you look at the cult status part 1 has, especially in Korea.

T_ConX

Mar 8, 2010
$100 Million to develop, and it still only comes with one campaign?

For a while, I was concerned that this was going to be the game that I would break my Activision Boycott for. After I heard about 'premium' map packs and the campaigns getting split into three games, I realized that nothing, not even Starcraft, was safe from Bobby Kotick.