A Whole New Type of In-Game Cinematic

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
A Whole New Type of In-Game Cinematic

The quality and quantity of in-game cinematics can sometimes make you feel like you're playing a movie rather than a videogame, but a community of talented game artists have approached this notion from the other direction.

We've all heard the idea that art imitates life and vice versa, but sometimes art imitates, well, other art. GameArtists.net [http://events.game-artist.net/scene_from_a_movie/index.php], an online community focusing on videogame art, ran a competition that challenged its members to recreate a movie still in a game engine, with nearly $12,000 worth of prizes up for grabs.

The five winning entries are simply stunning, recreating a range of movies from the dark and brooding Blade Runner to the super-sugary Hook. Words can't do the pictures justice, so why not take a look at the winning entries here [http://www.game-artist.net/forums/scene-movie-competition/9540-scene-movie-results.html].

Source: via Fidgit [http://fidgit.com/archives/2009/05/crysis_engine_used_to_render_a.php]

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Can I just say. WOW. Those are brilliant. I wish I could do stuff like that. Do they say which Game engine it is? or can they use any they want?

PurpleLeafRave

Hyaaaa!
Feb 22, 2009
I'm lost for words! Amazing! I remember the cinematics of jack and daxter, when i were a lad they always made me laugh and were pretty awesome...and i used to have to get up before i went to bed...

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
My stupid is acting up again. How do you actually watch them?

EDIT: My stupid is REALLY acting up. Was expecting movies :p

level250geek

Jan 8, 2009
They were all especially well done. I say let the team who did the Aliens still design the next Aliens game.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Amazing, but I only recognised 3. What are 1 & 5?
1 was Blade Runner, 5 was Aliens.

I would think that those would be the most recognizable.

Really great work, though - I wonder what game engine they used and how much resources they had to create themselves?

destroyer2k

Oct 12, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
Can I just say. WOW. Those are brilliant. I wish I could do stuff like that. Do they say which Game engine it is? or can they use any they want?
Blade Runner, Aliens, I am Legend are using cryengine 2, the other two are on unreal engine 3.

chimmers

Nov 18, 2007
Nivag said:

I was expecting the same..thanks for posting first matey

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Can someone tell me how to play the movies.

[edit] Oh I see, it's not really a movie it's just a still frame from a movie. Nevermind.

capnjack

Jan 6, 2009
The appeal of this is completely lost on me. A new type of in-game cinematic? Um, how? It's a new type of art, at best.

I'm sure it's a difficult thing to do, but... I'm basically looking at graphical imitations of movies... which isn't exactly new to video games...

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
Can someone give me a link to some of these videos, please?
I couldn't find a "View Submission" button or anything of the sort.
Specifically, I want to see the "I Am Legend" one.

Oops, nevermind. Guess it's just screenshots.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Why only screenshots, and no movies? Boooo. This is a VERY interesting thing though.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
scotth266 said:
Why only screenshots, and no movies? Boooo. This is a VERY interesting thing though.
Because, with the exception of Keanu Reeves, we don't have any actors who move and react as awkwardly as videogame characters.
Hah, too true. That explains the Hollywood obsession with him.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
scotth266 said:
Because, with the exception of Keanu Reeves, we don't have any actors who move and react as awkwardly as videogame characters.
That explains so much, and made me LOL!
And at first I fell in the trap that they were doing computer rendered videos of movie scenes, then I saw the word 'stills.' A bit disheartening but didn't lessen my appreciation for the work that went into those. Awesome.

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
Nivag said:

It's quite alright, I'm sure you weren't alone in that thought process.

It makes me sad that I only recognized one still, but they all looked absolutely stunning.