Man Sells NES For $50,000 to Pay Bills

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Man Sells NES For $50,000 to Pay Bills

Making money to pay off debt is apparently as easy as listing your favorite videogame system on eBay for way more than it's worth and asking nicely.

Do you have a lot of unpaid bills? Are financial problems getting you down? Simply find an old gaming system and overprice it by a factor of 100 like ronald3868, who was supposedly down on his luck and looked to the world of internet auctions to annihilate his woes by listing a Nintendo Entertainment System on eBay for $35,000 [http://cgi.ebay.com/original-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-package-BUNDLE-/140387605886?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Video_Games&hash=item20afc0dd7e#ht_2379wt_1137].

He writes in the auction:

I am down on my luck need to pay bills living pay check to pay check. this is my price possession the only thing I can say I own 100%. to some a nes system could mean nothing but to me its priceless. I hate to part with it but i need the money. You might say what a ridiculous price but thats how hard it is for me to part with it. I have 100% feedback. whoever buys it can verify that I really need the money. I can show you my bills and credit report to verify it and I will give proof that the bills got paid. I would like to personally hand over the nes bundle system over to the winner and personally thank him/her if possible. God bless.

Ronald3868's NES also comes with 42 games, a Game Genie, a light gun, four controllers, and a neat little carrying case I would probably spend $10-$20 dollars on. This bundle pack seems to have sold for not $35,000, not $40,000, and not $45,000, but $50,000. Who knew it was that easy to sell your old videogame stuff for absurd amounts of money? If Ronald actually gets $50,000, which I sincerely doubt he will, someone out there really needs a punch in the mouth.

Hm. Hi everyone. I'm a down-on-my-luck videogame writer. I have bills that need paying. My prize possession is not a regular old Nintendo, but a Super Nintendo with about 30 games. Does anybody want to buy the whole set for $75,000? That's a sweet deal, and I really need the money, I promise.

[UPDATE]Surprise, the seller didn't get his money. However, he did relist the NES for $35,000. Good luck.

Via: Hot-Blooded Gaming [http://www.hotbloodedgaming.com/2010/07/15/if-this-sells-for-35000-i-will-sht-myself/]

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
Ermmm if he does make this sale (Which I sincerely hope not) he could just go out and buy another one for a few bucks from somewhere else. I scent a con in the air.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
I guess he's cutting his own throat, eh?

Taking all bets, who else thinks it was a joke auctioneer busting the guy's chops?

Sougo

Mar 20, 2010
I have a NES lying around too. Its in mint condition. Not a scratch on it.

I'd like my $50,000 in cash please.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
Nerf Ninja said:
Ermmm if he does make this sale (Which I sincerely hope not) he could just go out and buy another one for a few bucks from somewhere else. I scent a con in the air.
Exactly what I thought.

I don't see the point in having a NES any more, anyway.

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
Hm. Hi everyone. I'm a down-on-my-luck videogame writer. I have bills that need paying. My prize possession is not a regular old Nintendo, but a Super Nintendo with about 30 games. Does anybody want to buy the whole set for $75,000? That's a sweet deal, and I really need the money, I promise.
I'll take it for $200,000.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I have a PS2 that I would like to sell so I can go out and buy one and all the games for it.

(my original post was funnier/more detailed but the Escapist logged me out)

PurpleSky

Apr 20, 2010
So basicaly that was a charity event on Ebay? Wow,very cool,I just hope he wasn't lying.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
...And I were JUST about to forgive my mom for throwing away my NES a few years back...

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Bah I have a Playstation 3 (far more valuable than an NES) I'll accept bids in the region of $1,000,000. I need to pay for Escapism UK 2010 next week.

I'll only accept cheques with Dr Evil's picture on them.

Jack_Uzi

Mar 18, 2009
Who would have thought people pay so much money for a NES? True some old-school game stores sell them for a pretty steep price. But if you keep your eyes peeled, you'll probably find a dozen NES'es on the market for a very cheap price here on queens day.
Almost thinking about selling mine...

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
Duh duh duh, I have a PS3, give me 3 million!!!!!!!
Go read the auction, smartasses. He's willing to show his unpaid bills in person, give the receipts after they're paid and give back whatever he doesn't use to pay his unpaid bills.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
I have a copy of Zoids for the C64. It isn't my only possession and I don't have any crippling debt right now but I think that someone should buy it from me for $10,000 to reward me for being a game player. I would put the money towards alcohol and a new car and would be willing to show receipts.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
EightGaugeHippo said:
Tom Goldman said:
I'll take it for $200,000.
I'm still waiting for other bids I'll let you know.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
*Dusts off Sega Genesis, Sega CD, and game collection*

It's time I bought a house.

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
dusts off the old Fully functioning Atari's and the old Nintendo
now to make up a story and make it up quick

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Okay, playing devil's advocate here but suppose this guy is legit and just a bad speller? Then that would be a great way to pay off your debts: sell off a prized possession to an understanding buyer. Speaking as someone rendered jobless by the economy and sitting on 25K in student debt, I'd like to believe that it's possible.

Of course, if this turns out to be a scam, the seller should be hunted down like a dog. And the buyer should be slapped, preferably with a large fish.