Rumor: Matt Smith Quitting Doctor Who After Second Season

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rumor: Matt Smith Quitting Doctor Who After Second Season

Will Matt Smith soon be handing in his TARDIS key?

Matt Smith's first season as the Doctor ended a few weeks ago in the UK, and wraps up next week in the US, but according to a British newspaper, we might not have much longer with Smith in the lead role before he regenerates into a new actor.

The Sun reports that sources close to the actor say that Smith will depart the show after he's done filming the next season, as he wants to try his hand at movies. The BBC neither confirmed nor denied the rumor, saying that Smith is filming the Christmas episode and then the second series, but that it wouldn't speculate beyond that point.

Smith's departure from the show certainly isn't outside the realm of possibility, although it would be a shame to see him go so soon after taking on the role. Smith has said in the past that he would like the keep playing the role as soon as possible, but that's not necessarily a guarantee that he's staying beyond that second season.

There's also the possibility that this isn't actually news to the BBC. It was strongly hinted at in the episode "Flesh and Stone" that River Song had killed some future version of the Doctor, and that was the reason for her incarceration. Perhaps Smith had only ever planned to do two seasons, and the writing team has been teasing his departure for nearly his entire run.

Source: The Sun [http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/3056595/MATT-SMITH-is-ready-to-quit-as-Doctor-Who-to-crack-Hollywood.html] via Blastr [http://blastr.com/2010/07/british-tabloid-says-matt.php]

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
The Sun bullshits 99% of their Doctor Who 'news'

As far as we are aware Matt Smith has signed up to do 3-4 years. With a possible 5th if he wants to.

Frequen-Z

Resident Batman fanatic.
Apr 22, 2009
I take comfort only in the fact that The Sun is to journalism what McDonald's is to fine cuisine.

I expect this to be false. I shall be incredibly disappointed if it is not.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
The Sun in the UK is like The National Enquirer in the US, you know, Bat boy and all that.

Also you have a grammatical error in there:

Smith has said in the past that he would like the keep playing the role as soon as possible, but that's not necessarily a guarantee that he's staying beyond that second season.

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
Ah, 'The Sun'. It's one step above the 'Daily Mail'. Pretty much everyone has said it, best ignore it.

Smith is a damn good Doctor though. I like my Doctors to be quirky.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
He signed up for five seasons. I highly doubt he'd quit after just two.

I did hear rumours the Beeb might push him, because apparently his ratings dropped (why can't people just let go of Tennant) but that seems not to be the case.

I love him as the Doctor and think he has a bright future in front of him.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
OH I HOPE ITS TRUE!!! BRING BACK DAVID! Matt smith is one creepy mother fucker, I'm sure he's a good actor but I just can't stand to look at him

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Oh come on, please, we already went through the traumatizing departure of Tennant as the Doctor don't make us go through one with Smith just yet! It's too soon dammit, too soon!!

I mean come on, you have no soul if this doesn't make you at least want to shed a tear.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Quiet Stranger said:
OH I HOPE ITS TRUE!!! BRING BACK DAVID! Matt smith is one creepy mother fucker, I'm sure he's a good actor but I just can't stand to look at him
Oh yeah me to.

i even have this perfect senario for him to degenerate. He gets hit by the time energy and never exists, that way david can come back. (Im behind some of you so dont tell me what happens)

But really Matts not bad its just that david was incredable.

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
tomtom94 said:
I did hear rumours the Beeb might push him, because apparently his ratings dropped (why can't people just let go of Tennant) but that seems not to be the case.
Yeah, because it's inconceivable that people might not actually like Smith's Doctor. Nope, the only explanation is they're all still hung up on Tennant.

Please.

OT:I'm rather indifferent on this, Smith does an alright Doctor, but if he leaves now we edge ever closer to the day the Beeb pulls a massive Deus ex machina to get past the twelve regenerations rule.

Swarley

Apr 5, 2010
He can't leave, he hasn't made bow ties cool enough yet!
Mr Cwtchy said:
OT:I'm rather indifferent on this, Smith does an alright Doctor, but if he leaves now we edge ever closer to the day the Beeb pulls a massive Deus ex machina to get past the twelve regenerations rule.
Since Tennant did a regeneration in Journeys End, doesn't that make Matt Smith the last one? I know he didn't get a knew face, but it did happen...

Of course I suppose they could
just say that since Amy brought him back he's "new" if they really wanted...

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Matt Smith is excellent as the Doctor, whereas David Tennant's constant shouting and running around got really fucking old, really fucking quickly.

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
Whoo! Bring on someone who is good for onc- It's the Sun. Great...

I really dislike this doctor. He's a slimey git who is incredibly cocky, and seems to think he is god's gift to mankind. In the episodes he gets angry all the time, seems to look down at everyone, whilst also requiring the "humans" to help save his hide. Hell in the second and third episodes, the day was saved by Pond.