"Blue Holes" Could Hold Clues to Alien Life

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
"Blue Holes" Could Hold Clues to Alien Life

Could a special kind of sea cave give scientists an insight into what life is like on other worlds?

When someone says that he or she is going diving, the first thing that probably comes to mind is coral reefs and tropical fish. What you might not immediately think of is a submerged inland cavern cut off from surface oxygen, but these "blue holes" may contain vital clues in the search for extra-terrestrial life.

In a blue hole, a layer of fresh water sits on top of the salt water and prevents any oxygen from entering it. This creates an unusual environment that researchers believe might mimic submerged pockets of water on Mars, or Jupiter's moon Europa. Exploration of the blue holes in the Bahamas revealed unique ecosystems in each one, with no shared species. Astrobiologist Jenn Macalady believes that if scientists can understand how microbes survive in that environment, they would have a good idea of what to look for on other planets.

This research could contribute to one of the most important scientific discoveries of all time. All it will take is the discovery of a single microbe on another planet to prove extra-terrestrial life once and for all, and these blue holes might just help us find one.

Source: io9 [http://io9.com/5589807/could-blue-holes-offer-clues-about-the-forms-of-extraterrestrial-life/gallery/]

(image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/catherinetodd/3323549464/])

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Hell yeah. Science is awesome.

I fucking love science.

Alien life IS out there....all we gotta do is find it...... as though that's easy.... heh.

Qracle

Jan 20, 2010
As an avid scuba diver, and a chemist, these "blue holes" that I have never heard of before are extremely exciting. I'll be interested in seeing the research that comes out of them.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
SnipErlite said:

I fucking love science.

Alien life IS out there....all we gotta do is find it...... as though that's easy.... heh.
There really shouldn't be a doubt that there is some form of life out there. The problem is people confuse alien life with intelligent life.

Noodle99

Cynical Englishman
May 18, 2009
Just reading the title of this article I thought that they were talking about a specific area of a blue skinned alien, I'm sure that reaching in there would probably enable you to "hold clues to alien life".

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
if im not mistaken there is such a thing called anaerobes where the organism perform anaerobic respiration for it's lifetime or am I missing something out from this article?

besides we know that life can survive the most extreme and the most usual environments because of the virus (Archaea) particles that can be found in Yellow stone

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
I really want to go to one, they look awesome.

Not really fussed about what they find in them, they just look and sound fun to go to.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Could somebody explain how the fresh-water prevents the oxygenation of the salt-water? I'm genuinely interested. Is it something to do with diffusion gradients?

Jul 27, 2009
Noodle99 said:
Just reading the title of this article I thought that they were talking about a specific area of a blue skinned alien, I'm sure that reaching in there would probably enable you to "hold clues to alien life".
If the blue skinned race we are talking about happen to be Asari, then count me in!

OT: This discovery is awesome! One step closer to finding other life in the universe...go Science!!

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
manaman said:
SnipErlite said:

I fucking love science.

There really shouldn't be a doubt that there is some form of life out there. The problem is people confuse alien life with intelligent life.
Ah this is true, although I personally think it's a ~certainty that there's also intelligent life. The sheer size of the Universe............meh. Who knows :)

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
it's like no one watched Planet Earth, they said this same thing years ago... still though I am happy that they are making correlations like these. Now if the solar system or the planet can survive long enough to find life on mars, that is the question!

Radioactive Bob

Jul 12, 2010
Im not much of a science person, but even this is really exciting to me. Hopefully this leads to some incredible discoveries, even if it's just a tiny bit of bacteria on another planet, it will completely change how people see life. :D

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
ciortas1 said:
Blue holes? What's next, orange holes?
If you entered one would you come out the other?

[img/]http://www.aeropause.com/archives/images/portal-thumb-410x378.jpg[/img]

Furious Styles

Jul 10, 2010
I have heard of this thing called something like the great blue hole
here's a link to a picture of it. it's pretty awesome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Great_Blue_Hole.jpg