Japan Completes Latest Killer Robot, Assures Our Doom

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Japan Completes Latest Killer Robot, Assures Our Doom

Japan's latest giant robot project is complete, and it is only a matter of time before it devours us all and ushers in the apocalypse - but you mustn't run away.

I think the record will show that generally, I'm a pretty big fan of Japan's new-found obsession with building real-life versions of its fictional giant robots [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101521-New-Lightsaber-Wielding-Giant-Gundam-Finally-Complete], but this? This is different.

Work has completed on the originally announced in May [http://ngeekhiong.blogspot.com/2010/07/life-size-evangelion-bust-amusement.html] and opened a week ahead of schedule. While not a full model of EVA-01 - what with the Evangelion units being much, much bigger than the other mecha Japan has already built - the bust aims to recreate the iconic scene where protagonist Shinji Ikari first encounters the weapon of war.

Fans can visit the statue, take a picture inside a life-sized Entry Plug, or hang out with a statue of the incredibly creepy Kaworu Nagisa - that is, they can do all of that while they're waiting for EVA-01 to go berserk and devour us all.

According to Ngee Khiong [http://ngeekhiong.blogspot.com/2010/07/life-size-evangelion-bust-amusement.html], the bust and its housing occupy 1,460 square meters and cost ~150 million yen ($1.73m USD) to build. I think we can all agree that this is a small price to pay in order to bring about the eventual collapse of the whole of human consciousness into one giant primordial sea of existence, can't we?

And if not, well you can always take pictures with women paid to dress up as bizarrely sexualized 14-year-old girls. Since that is, after all, what Evangelion is all about.

(Escapist Mecha Fans [http://ngeekhiong.blogspot.com/2010/07/life-size-evangelion-bust-amusement.html])

Darktau

Totally Ergo Proxy
Mar 10, 2009
Oh jesus then we get a small child to pilot it then one thing leads to another then we get an apocalypse...

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Furburt said:
Could anyone answer this question for me?

Is this an actual project, funded by the Japanese government, or is it just a private company building it?

Because if the former, don't they have better things to be spending their money on? I mean, don't get me wrong, this is fucking awesome, but they're currently going through one of the worst recessions ever, the Japanese economy is in meltdown and the entire country's basically collapsing.

However, if the latter, than bully for them!
Private company, almost assuredly.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
This is awesome. Thats all that can be said.]

I have to go see this in person.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Berserker119 said:
Because cancer research isn't as important as a giant robot.
Damn straight!

OT: So when will the giant robots actually have weapons with which they can destroy us? And what kind of awesome parent gives their child the name Funk?

Breaker deGodot

Apr 14, 2009
Well, as long as they don't create a life sized Lilith, I'm ok. That thing still haunts my nightmares after all these years.

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
I'm going to go ahead and call this what it is, the best giant robot statue ever! Why isn't anyone building anything this cool my side of the ocean? Don't I deserve the opportunity to be eaten by an Eva when it inevitibly goes berserk too?

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
America must make its own giant robots to retaliate! Then other nations will begin to build there own, and the world will be filled with giant robots! And lets face it people; as deadly as it would be, it would be TOTALY AWESOME!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I am so...so happy...but scared at the same time...<3 Japanese time wasters! Bringing you all your epic mecha!