Review: N3II Ninety-Nine Nights

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Review: N3II Ninety-Nine Nights

That?s about ninety-eight nights too long for this one.

Read Full Article

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Looks like I'll be giving this a miss...might rent if bored though

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
That just sounds like the first game with less health potions and easier combat.

Would you laugh at me if I told you I couldn't beat the forest level of Inphyy's campaign in Ninety Nine Nights?

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Soooo, you wouldn't recommend it then?.

Wasn't all too interested in this game to begin with if I'm to be honest with you. I'm not really for these type of game and I played the demo of the first game and got pretty bored with it before it's conclusion. I mean if the demo bored you, that doesn't spell good for the rest of the game. The second game sounds worse and I imagine it will be at the bottom of a bargain bucket before long.

The game sounds like it's tried to be bad, went through the check list of making a bad game.

Bland uninteresting story: Check
Poorly written dialogue: Check
Poor voice acting: Check
Bad lip-sync: Check
Boring combat: Check
Bosses that are only difficult because they are cheap: Check

Heck the warning lights go off when you rushing to the ending, skipping to the checkpoint to get the game done with as fast as possible. At that point you've got to be thinking to your self "Why is it that I'm enduring this game... Why haven't I turned the power button off yet".

Thanks for the review.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Nice that you got given such a choice game for your first review eh Steve!

played Demo for the first one and honestly surprised it did well enough to merit a sequel!

Also how did this 'game' manage 2 stars surely this is a 1 star game

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
I expected as much. The first one was one of my first games for the 360, and the enemies were just...weak. It was fun a short while, and thank God the campaigns were short, I couldn't endure more than that. And then came the gynormous bonus boss fight that was impossible to fight. I am not surprised this one was just as bad.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
My brother got the first game as a gift. He never touched it again after he found actual good hack and slash games. I tried playing it only to find out just how awful it was. Looks like this is going to be the same (minus us actually getting it).

My big question here is this: Why did they not rename this? Most people have forgotten about N3 as well as who developed it, so this was an opportunity to actually sell more before the reviews came in. People looking for a new IP would buy it, as would people who liked the cover, or other strange reasons some people buy games. You didn't have to name it as a sequel. Look, the people who buy sequels are more often than not the people who played the original. If the original was bad, most of those people won't buy the sequel, even if you improve it a lot (who here is going to give Two Worlds 2 a chance?). Even though a lot of games these days are sequels, that doesn't mean all of them have to be.

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Ha! This is my second review. Blur was my first.

I was planning on going for 1 star on this one, because this game is unashamedly crappy. The Escapist's review scale suggests that a 2 star game is merely terrible but a 1 star game is terrible and also broken. Since the fun was only thing about N3II that was actually broken, I couldn't fairly give it 1 star.

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
Flat-mate bought the first one a couple of month ago. Played it for about 40 minutes before never touching it again. I didn't think the second one would be much better.

The only good thing about N3 is the <url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh0uSMbXDOc>hilarious Tak Fujii.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
So terrible but not broken = 2 stars. Alright.

I played the demo for the first game and forgot about it shortly thereafter. I'm surprised the first one pulled in enough sales for a sequel, honestly.

Pikeperch

May 3, 2010
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Steve Butts said:
Why are you giving a "Do not buy this game ever" two stars?
One for the special effects, one for the busty elf maidens.

That'd be my guess.
Or rather one star per busty elf maiden. Special effects only get you so far, after all.
That being said, I'm not surprised. I played the first one for for a full ten minutes or so and got bored. However, do you think those select few who DID enjoy the first could get something out of this or is it below even that standard?

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Wow what a shame, I really enjoyed the first one the characters were different. The hulking idiot was actually just an animal, the extra female character was a little girl on a bombing broomstick and the two main characters were likable (mostly). Still might give it a look but this is mainly because the genre does not give me alot of options. I've played 6 of the Dynasty/Samurai Warriors Orochi games and know the basic story by heart now. I might give this Kingdoms Under Fire a look as I have heard good things.