Rumor: Capcom and Namco Making Pair of Crossover Fighters

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Rumor: Capcom and Namco Making Pair of Crossover Fighters

Word on the street is that the Street Fighter, Tekken and Soul Calibur casts will be mixing it up in not one but two crossover games.

The EVO tournament series is one of the biggest - if not the biggest - fighting game events of the year, and it was no surprise that the people who made the games in question were out there in force. During a speech [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHeiWprU0yM&feature=player_embedded], Namco Bandai's Katsuhiro Harada (producer of Tekken 6) and Capcom's Yoshinori Ono (producer of Street Fighter IV) joked with the crowd and offered a teaser: There would be a fighting game trailer unveiled Saturday, July 24th, at San Diego Comic-Con.

GameInformer [http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/07/19/rumor-namco-vs-capcom-not-one-but-two-games.aspx] did some investigating, and turned up an interesting claim: As one might expect, Ono and Harada were teasing a new "Versus" game in the style of Marvel vs. Capcom and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. Only they weren't just teasing one game, says GI, but two of them.

According to GI's sources, Namco and Capcom are currently collaborating on a pair of games - Namco will be developing Namco vs. Capcom, and Capcom will be making Capcom vs. Namco. Both games will supposedly play in the style of their parent company's premiere series (Tekken and Street Fighter respectively), goes the rumor, so expect NvC to be a 3D juggle-tastic brawler where CvN will be a 2D affair more about special and super moves and aerial strings.

As always, this is a rumor so take it with a grain of salt, but it's a really cool rumor. The last time the two mega-developers mixed it up was in the strategy game Namco x Capcom [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namco_%C3%97_Capcom], but their properties are just ripe for a crossover fighter.

Capcom's Versus games mean that, if true, we have a pretty good idea of what games might be represented in its roster: Street Fighter, Darkstalkers, Mega Man, Devil May Cry, and maybe some Dead Rising and Resident Evil (sadly, I won't hold my breath for Ace Attorney).

Namco, on the other hand, has its fighting game series like Tekken and Soul Calibur, but also a staggering amount of other franchises and IPs that might work well in a crossover fighter. Just think about it: Tales of and Xenosaga are just begging for the action treatment, and there's always the off chance that they could throw Pac-Man and the Katamari prince in there to mix it up (super attack: Katamari Roll).

Personally, I'm holding out for a Gundam myself. And now I'm going to be sad if this isn't true - but we'll find out one way or another this Saturday.

(GameInformer [http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/07/19/rumor-namco-vs-capcom-not-one-but-two-games.aspx])

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
As long as I see a Wii release...I don't mind who's in it/what type of fighter it is. I'll buy them both.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Dude! That would be awesome. I'd love to see Capcom vs. Namco.

If this happened, I would be soooo happy.

Rogue 9

I, Jedi
Jun 22, 2008
Damn, that sounds truly awesome. I'd love to see Street Fighter and Darkstalkers characters throwing down with Soul Calibur and Tales of characters. I'd probably go with the Capcom vs. Namco game if the two options do turn out to exist though. I've never really gotten into Tekken. Much more a fan of Street Fighter and the Vs. games.

ImpostorZim

Jan 7, 2009
Man, what a crazy rumor! I have to admit, I've imagined it more than once. Namco could do a lot with this. Urban Reign, Katamari Damacy, Kill.Switch, Soul Calibur, Tekken and then other stuff like Naruto and Afro Samurai! Wooo!!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Please bring Namco's characters from the "Tales" series of RPG. PLEASE!

I'd love to throw down as Kratos!

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
Marvel, SNK, Tatsunoko, and now Namco. This is the second game that has Capcom and Namco (first was Namco x Capcom, an PS2 RPG game only for Japan) together. At least this one will be released in America. But before I get my hopes up, I'm curious to see a trailer of both games.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Dammit Capcom you're supposed to do Nintendo versus Capcom first! (No I will not stop pleading for this game until they make it)

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
LeonLethality said:
Dammit Capcom you're supposed to do Nintendo versus Capcom first! (No I will not stop pleading for this game until they make it)
Now THAT I would buy in a Heartbeat

Leonbelmont64

Jun 7, 2010
Well they did say Nintendo vs Capcom was a possibility way back, though I'd love to see Konami Vs Capcom, Silent Hill vs Resident Evil characters and Castlevania vs Darkstalkers sounds fun.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
That would be great fun! kick some butt with the SC characters against the likes of Tekken! Once and for all proving Soul Caliber is superiour! =D

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Leonbelmont64 said:
Well they did say Nintendo vs Capcom was a possibility way back, though I'd love to see Konami Vs Capcom, Silent Hill vs Resident Evil characters and Castlevania vs Darkstalkers sounds fun.
Oh would Gigaguy64 Love that. He's a big Darkstalkers fan. I'll assume you are due to your avatar.

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
I approve of this though it may be odd playing with Tekken characters on Street Fighter's engine and vice-versa.

Still I love the potential for characters this has. I vote KOS-MOS for God Tier.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Arisato-kun said:
I approve of this though it may be odd playing with Tekken characters on Street Fighter's engine and vice-versa.

Still I love the potential for characters this has. I vote KOS-MOS for God Tier.
It would be weird. But at least I'll probably like tekken just a little with the Vs style.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Interesting but given that very few Crossover games of any sort make it to the US for a number of reasons it's hard to get excited. "Namco x Capcom" for example never seemed to have a US release. There are a lot of reasons for this, both the public ones that are expressed, and other darker ones according to my reading, but the bottom line is that I've long ago learned to not get too excited about what Japan does unless I'm likely to ever see a release of the game in anything like a timely fashion.