Insane Physics Engine Will Blow Your Mind With Dirt

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Insane Physics Engine Will Blow Your Mind With Dirt

Move over, Havok and PhysX. The Lagoa Multiphysics engine is in town, and it brings with it stunningly realistic dirt (and melting bunny rabbits).

[vimeo=13457383]

When you get down to it, physics engines are really just a way to make the things that don't matter in a game look extra pretty. Unless you're the kind of gamer who actively looks for it, you're not going to be paying attention to the realistic way the curtains waft in the breeze while you dive through them firing madly at your enemies.

But that doesn't stop the above video from being jaw-droppingly spectacular. From the way the dirt breaks on the edge and the layers of cloth sliding off a ball, to the water splashing into a container and the bunnies melting in some rather disturbing imagery, this may well be the most insanely impressive physics engine I have ever seen.

I'm not going to pretend I know much about physics engines. I don't know how this works. For all I know it has a bunch of tiny little gnomes inside the code actually turning heat lamps onto chocolate rabbits - it's purely awe-inspiring through and through.

Honestly, I don't know what sort of gaming applications Thiago Costa's physics engine will have with its "high friction granular materials, incompressible fluids, elastic structures, plastic deformations and more." I do know that I'd gladly shell out $15 on Steam to just play a game where I threw dirt (and other assorted objects) at a wall.

Somebody make it happen? Please?

(Via CrunchGear [http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/07/20/one-of-the-most-amazing-physics-engines-ive-ever-seen/])

Beltom

Professional Lurker
Sep 8, 2008
That looks like it would be a devil to process in real time on anything other than a top of the line rig. The frame-rate on an older or lower spec computer would be atrociouis.
Still amazing though, hope this manages to get some use somewhere.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Thats is impressice! Now...lets see it implemented in something other than a tech demo!

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Nick of Blades said:
That looks amazing, but as BloodSquirrel said, what can it do in real time?
By the looks of it (at about 2:00 mins in) it can, although i think some of the bigger bits are rendered to hide any FPS lag.

Iznat

Feb 13, 2010
I am fairly impressed.

Didn't like the rabbits being squishied and thrown around tho ._.

Mr. Purple

May 1, 2008
<color=purple> Lol, someone will make a game with this that nobody can run. But it will be awesome.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Amazing. While you're right that it's mostly used just to make pretty games look more pretty. Some games could actually have some use for it. Maybe when Little Big Planet 3 comes out, they might use this, and then some creative persons can figure out how to use it properly.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
DAYMMMM! That's an impressive physics engine! I'm sure it's the unknown offspring of the CryENGINE meaning it'll beat the hell outta your graphics card.
I suspect that this engine will be used almost exclusively for movies as rendering that in real time would be a ***** and a half.
Christ I can't wait to get out of college so I can use real engines instead of having to make my own.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
That was amazing.
Seriously, get to stream-lining that code and put that in games. Right now.
The dirt alone was just epic. Can you imagine a beach-storming level where the dirt is flying, craters are being formed realistically with clumps whizzing past your face? Sweet merciful cheese on a stick in an oven...sign me up.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
BloodSquirrel said:
Neat, but what can this engine actually do in real time?
Think of what we had say... fifteen years ago.
That's a tech demo for the PS1. As in, "Look at what our hardware can do!" demo.

I think we all know that we're going to be getting this kinda technology relatively soon.
And it will be Sweet.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Well, the question is, how many flips can I make someone do when I shoot them in the face?

Think about the important things, here.