EA Forms Development Dream Team for New RPG

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
EA Forms Development Dream Team for New RPG

It's like a fanboy's development dream team: EA, 38 Studios, Todd McFarlane, and R.A. Salvatore are joining forces to make a new RPG.

It's been a while since EA amazed us with a new RPG &mdash aside from anything BioWare's put out recently &mdash but the publisher seems to be making up for lost time, since it announced today that it's working with <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99489-PAX-East-2010-How-Big-Huge-Games-Barely-Survived>38 Studios on a brand new title. The game, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is going to be the end result of a collaboration between 38 Studios, Todd McFarlane (co-founder of Image Comics and the man behind Spawn), and fantasy novelist R.A. Salvatore.

At the moment, the game sounds like standard fantasy fare, according to EA's description. "Reckoning is a single-player RPG that sets players on a heroic journey to unlock the mysteries of Amalur. Amalur is a magical world, filled with strange landscapes, exotic cities, colorful characters and terrifying creatures."

According to Ken Rolston, the man directing the game's development, the game is going to be a combination of classic RPG elements and a new type of combat. "We built the open-world exploration, vast narrative and character customization fans expect from the best RPGs. And we've added something new that we've always wanted from the genre &mdash a fast-paced, graphically stimulating action combat experience with fluid control and immersive, discoverable gameplay fans haven't seen before in other fantasy RPGs."

While Todd McFarlane is a talented artist, the man's track record with video games is pretty spotty (the best Spawn game was mediocre at best, and <a href=http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/mcfarlanesevilprophecy?q=McFarlane's>McFarlane's Evil Prophecy was pretty horrid). Salvatore's writing has made him immensely popular with fantasy fans, largely thanks to the man's creation of Drizz Do'Urden. Salvatore also wrote the <a href=http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/forgottenrealmsdemonstone?q=demon%20stone>Demon Stone videogame in 2004, which was met with mixed-to-positive reviews. Rolston, meanwhile, was the lead designer of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

This Thursday, Comic-Con attendees will have the opportunity to learn about the game from McFarlane, Rolston, Salvatore and 38 Studios Chairman Curt Schilling. Aside from a panel discussion about Reckoning, the group will unveil the game's debut trailer, which was directed by McFarlane.

Those interested in the game will probably want to check out its official website. For the moment, the site only has a title and placeholder artwork, but it will likely be updated after the info session on Thursday. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is due to be released in Fall 2011 for PC, PS3, and 360.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
R.A Salvatore is also somewhat infamous as the author who wrote Chewbacca's death in the New Jedi Order.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Slapping RPG elements in an action game dose not make it an RPG.....................
/curmudgeon

Mattox33

Mar 3, 2010
Maybe this would be exciting if McFarlane could, you know, draw. Right now all I've seen of his is extremely well rendered imaginative garbage.

tarislan

Jan 25, 2010
I'm kinda confused by anything that includes the words "RPG" and "Dream Team" but doesn't include the word "Bioware." Or, for that matter that does include "Todd McFarlane."

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Always happy to hear news on new RPGs! I am curious as to how it willl develop and will be watching it closely!

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
THIS! Finally! I love Bioware, but honestly...apart from Obsidian making me at least somewhat more interested in a different approach and a few tidbits from developers like 2K Boston and Bethesda - it was about time that another developer popped up (made an incredible comeback more like given the link!) that gives it their own spin on these things.

Granted it might not be a clear-cut RPG (like many old-school peeps might prefer), but if it manages to provide the action in the proper frame with good lore and maybe, JUST maybe, some types of choices here and there...this'll definately be a step away from the homogenization that has been growing steadily as of late!

Harshael

Mar 8, 2010
McFarlane?

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/5/5/

Salvatore wasn't ultimately responsible for Chewbacca's demise. It was a stupid way of killing him, but just pick up any of the man's books to see how inferior a writer he is.

38 Studios has never made a video game.

I don't understand what this title is supposed to mean. Oh, I get it. Fanboys are illogical and have bad taste, so it would make sense that they would dream about whatever interactive abortion this game is destined to be.

Next creative genius to be added to the team: Rob Liefeld.

Outamyhead

Feb 25, 2009
Sounds like EA wants another Dragon Age game...just not called Dragon Age...but exactly the same idea as Dragon Age...yet different...in no way at all apart from the story being slightly different, like the character names.

I'll stick with Bioware, when it comes to single player RPG's

worldasmyth

Jun 7, 2010
Perhaps the author of this article believes the year to be 1992, which was perhaps the last time that anyone would have been excited about this combination of creative forces.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
Hmmm.. I think I'll stick to BioWare, Bethesda and Square Enix for my RPG's thanks.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Todd "Puking Hyenas" McFarlane doesn't belong on any dream team.

edit: Actually, having played Demon Stone and most of the elder scrolls games (except for 1), and knowing BioWare this doesn't sounds like a dream team so much as a monument to mediocrity.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
R.A. Salvatore.
Well that got me intrested.
Harshael said:
I don't understand what this title is supposed to mean. Oh, I get it. Fanboys are illogical and have bad taste, so it would make sense that they would dream about whatever interactive abortion this game is destined to be.
Don't be such a buzzkill.

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
All I heard was Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. Oh! And some other stuff.

I'll wait till I see some gameplay footage before I even consider purchasing this... as I do with most anything else.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Harshael said:
Salvatore wasn't ultimately responsible for Chewbacca's demise. It was a stupid way of killing him, but just pick up any of the man's books to see how inferior a writer he is.
This is the R.A. Salvatore that basically made what Forgotten Realms is today, so I really wouldn't say inferior.

Harshael

Mar 8, 2010
matrix3509 said:
Harshael said:
This is the R.A. Salvatore that basically made what Forgotten Realms is today, so I really wouldn't say inferior.
Having endured many a game session in the FR setting, I stand by my original comment.

Giftmacher

Jul 22, 2008
I'm mildly interested, hiring on proper story tellers is always heartening to hear. It certainly seems to work for Bioware.

Gift.