Microsoft Confirms Kinect for $149

gregoryg

Mad Scientist
Jul 13, 2010
Microsoft Confirms Kinect for $149

Microsoft has confirmed the price of the Kinect motion controller and announced a new Xbox 360 bundle aimed at mainstream consumers.

Despite the lack of a formal announcement from Microsoft, pre-purchase options began to pop up at major retailers such as Amazon and Walmart pricing the device at $150 shortly after the device and its launch lineup were shown to the public at this year's E3. It seems that the retailer speculation was spot-on, as Microsoft has finally confirmed that the Kinect will launch in the United States on November 4th at a price of $149.

The $149 package contains the controller and a pack-in game, Kinect Adventures. A number of other games, such as Kinectimals, Kinect Sports, and Dance Central will be available on or around the launch date. For those that are curious, Microsoft has confirmed that there will be no way to buy the Kinect unit without the included game, at least for the remainder of this year.

Kinect, which allows players to control their games using only their natural motions and voice commands, has the potential to make gaming more accessible for consumers put off by the sheer number of buttons and triggers on modern controllers. Anticipating the fact that these potential customers are unlikely to already own an Xbox 360, the manufacturer has announced a new hardware bundle for release on the same day.

This $299 Kinect bundle comes with the slimmed-down Xbox 360, a Kinect controller, and the Kinect Adventures mini-game collection. Rather than the 250 GB harddrive of the standalone Xbox 360, this bundle unit comes with 4 GB of on-board flash storage. For potential buyers, one thing to keep in mind is that Microsoft has yet to release harddrives compatible with the slim Xbox 360. The 4 GB of storage will be fine for many, but feels small now that many Xbox Live Arcade titles weigh in at over one gigabyte each.

Aaron Greenberg, director of product management at Microsoft, doesn't believe that this is an issue. He notes that users can expand their storage by using USB sticks of up to 32 GB, adding that "you'd have to be pretty bad at making decisions" to purchase the Kinect bundle and immediately want a 250 GB harddrive.

When pressed about the fact that Microsoft's central competition, the Nintendo Wii, is priced at only $200, Greenberg pointed out that unlike the Wii, consumers won't have to pay for extra controllers or attachments. The Kinect will recognize multiple players automatically without the need for extra controllers.

With all three major manufacturers hedging their bets on their respective slightly-different takes on motion-sensing this holiday season, it will be interesting to see which approach comes out on top.

Source: Game|Life [http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2010/07/microsoft-kinect-pricing-and-release.html]

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Unless the games on it are really, really awesome, I'm not going to get this.
Just too much money for a HD version of the Wii, one of which I already have and enjoy thoroughly.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Aaaand this goes on my Christmas wish list. It's certainly not for everyone, but I like it, and I'm going to get it (Unless, obviously, the reviews upon it's release are terribly scathing).

JaymesFogarty

Aug 19, 2009
Well, there goes any chance of this taking off. I own a PS3, but I understand how ridiculous that is. Motion controls couldn't be less appealing to me.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Why am I not surprised? I wasn't going to get it anyway, but with this price I doubt anyone else will either.

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
I posted this in another thread, but it still applies:

This is way too much.

Potential buyers who see the console + kinect for 300, are going to buy the wii instead, and MS has been going on record saying "this isn't really for hardcore gamers", despite the fact that the hardcore crowd are the ones likely to drop 150$ on an accessory for a system they already own.

This is a poor decision. If they'd gone to $99, or even $129, they could have at least said, "we were thinking about 150, but we wanted to offer a better value to our customers" to save face.

Weak play, microsoft.

-m

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
It's too expensive.
One of the main reasons the Wii was so much more popular than the other two consoles was that the console (with Remote, Nunchuk and game) was much cheaper than the other consoles. Even the MotionPlus addon was only £35 with another game.

But £200 for a 360 and then £100 for Kinect? No, especially as it's basically a slightly more efficient EyeToy.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
If that reported 100ms delay time is still in effect, this is definitely overpriced.

That said, I will probably end up getting it (and a projection screen) to play Child of Eden if it ends up as amazing as it looks.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
No way in hell is any gamer going to pay that for an accessory that is a glorified Wii console. I hope this shows to Microsoft and Sony that many gamers are not interested in motion control or at least shows that it is too expesive for most

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
4Gb flash? My 360 died and my girlfriend convinced me to wait for Kinect to come out. As I was gonna trade up to the Slim anyway, she said wait for the Kinect to come out and buy the (one would assume, cheaper) bundle...but...if I can't transfer all my shit over from my old 360...I now have to explain to my girlfriend that our arrangement will have to change...

Thanks Microsoft...if I don't have a girlfriend tomorrow, I'm blaming you!!!

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
sunami88 confirmeds not buying Kinect for any price.

Zing! But seriously, that's kinda insane.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
4GB? 4GB of storage? Fuck off Microsoft, you seriously thought that that was a good idea?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
And I vet it is gonna b £150 here...

Well, still not impressed to get it. Ill be keep my distance!

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Thats actually lower than I thought it would sell for. Still an awful lot for what is essentially a controller though.

Whats this about too many buttons on a modern controller though? 6 buttons, 2 triggers, not exatly difficult to use.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I was thinking "huh, the $299 bundle isn't actually too bad at all!" Until I saw the lack of hard drive...

Really? 4 GB? They think that that, plus 32 GB on a usb will be enough for ANYBODY in this day and age? Such a lack of storage should be a thing of the past, to be honest...

As for the price, this isn't exactly unexpected, but its a hard blow for Microsoft... I certainly wouldn't get it, even if I had a 360.