Rockstar Bringing New Law to Red Dead Redemption's Multiplayer

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rockstar Bringing New Law to Red Dead Redemption's Multiplayer

The West is getting a little less wild as Rockstar tackles online outlaws.

Following what it calls "isolated incidents of abuse," Rockstar is adding some new features to Red Dead Redemption to deal with online cheaters and griefers in a title update scheduled for release within the next month.

Those who are being bullied in Free Roam mode will have the ability to get heck out of Dodge by transporting to an area of their choice on the map. In addition, any player who gets a kill streak of six or more in Free Roam will earn the dubious honor of being "Most Wanted," which means that every other player is alerted to their activities, and the game sends NPC lawmen after them.

When it comes to actual cheating, Rockstar says that anyone found to be cheating "without a shadow of a doubt" will be banned from the game for an unspecified period. Rockstar adds that it will continue to monitor Red Dead Redemption's multiplayer and will continue to release updates as necessary.

It's always good to see a developer taking anti-social behavior in a game seriously, and hopefully this update will make the game more enjoyable for people who had had a negative experience in the past.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/rockstar-cracks-down-on-rdr-cheats]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
NOW THIS IS WHAT THE GAME NEEDED.

I was tired of free roam devolving into a giant deathmatch.

Now, just add a "free roam PvP damage: OFF" option.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
Rockstar has just gone up another notch on my 'respect' list.

Shit, they can't hear me clapping can they?

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
I still haven't got into online yet. I was just starting when I bought Demon's Souls, and that game has been sucking my game time away for over a week now. Maybe when I get bored that, I'll eventually come back and try it out, lol. Good to know they're trying to crack down on this as I've heard some horror stories.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
FUCKING RIGHT

I remember killing some guy out of defense, because he thought it would be fun to try and kill me. So the dude adds EVERY OTHER FUCKING PLAYER to his possee and they start to hunt me down. Since you respawn so close to your corpse, they just chased me and killed me. Sure I killed the odd man, but I had six people gunning for me. Most of them were really high levels and had great horses.

So I just logged off and never touched multiplayer again

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
I just want to be clear here...

The game about outlaws, where you are an outlaw, and there's even an achievement for tying a woman up and dropping her in front of a train... this game is punishing you for acting like an outlaw in multiplayer?

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Azuaron said:

The game about outlaws, where you are an outlaw, and there's even an achievement for tying a woman up and dropping her in front of a train... this game is punishing you for acting like an outlaw in multiplayer?
Not acting like an outlaw, like an asshole. People will literally hunt people down like they did with me. Kill someone, wait for them to respawn (you only respawn about 10 feet away from where you died), and killing them again. Over and over and over...

No you log on, have that happen and tell me you're having fun

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
Azuaron said:

THE STATUS QUO HAS SPOKEN!

That's why I just play with friends on LAN or friend only invites. No douches aloud. People need to make more friends I guess or just add options of how you want YOUR server to be and lock trophies/achievements that are no longer applicable.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Azuaron said:

Spawn killing isn't being an outlaw, it's being a douche.

OT: Sweet! I might just jump back into multiplayer once this drops!

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Baby Tea said:
Spawn killing isn't being an outlaw, it's being a douche.
I hear ya on that one. Every time I even feel like jumping into Free Roam, BAM; shot dead on spawn. I keep having to quickly switch to Private Free Roam, but that's no fun because I don't have any friends available to play with. So the whole thing defeats itself >_>

InvisibleMilk

Nov 19, 2008
Oh god, I'm so guilty of murdering players OVER and OVER again.

In my defense, one time it was a twelve year old. And often, the other guy starts it.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Nice to see they are taking some action on it...I dont play it myself, but, I knew alo of my friends were getting a little miffed...

BeefSteak

Oct 3, 2007
Yeah, the second time I played I wound up with a level 50 killing/hunting me as I spawned on his damn Zebra-Donkey of Doom. I was around level 11 at the time, so I had pretty damn munch nothing to defend myself with. Luckily I had a few posse members and we eventually took him down a few times, got some of the better guns off his body... then started to give him hell.

It's amazing how the tides can turn once one person managed to grab the High Powered Pistol / Buffalo Rifle / Sniper Rifle.

That said, great change. Props to Rockstar on trying to address the situation.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Ahh, I still have fond memories of the time some jackass started picking on our mate so we possed up and spawn killed him to Mexico. He came back a while later after posseing (is that a word?) with some of his mates and ambushed us while we were fighting the Mexican army in the fort/jail, devolving our decent plan into a three way gunfight. It was, without a doubt, one of the most awesome things I've ever seen in a game.

I know Rockstar are bringing this in to combat griefers, but I'll admit, my first thought is bring on the three way duels! Closely followed by 'where's the goddamn train?'

Also, with Red Dead Redemption being what it is, I'll put money on there being challenges based on being Most Wanted for a certain time limit/ number of times.

ButterFunky

May 12, 2010
Well, there goes our scheduled posse vs posse weekend horse dogfight. We all get members in our posse, get on a horse armed with only a stick of dynamite and charge straight forward to the other guy riding a horse. But then, it had to be done. I, myself, hunt down individuals who did me wrong, going as much as switching to the game he's playing just to make him apologize because he led his posse and tried to steal my carriage when there are 2 right there. They chased me, we ran all over the map. I eventually had to throw a stick of dynamite into my position and use the transport thing, which was beside me, and the guys who chased me went to the dynamite and they called me a hacker for using the transport thing. Funny thing is, the one who ordered the attack was a racist, 9 year old. I tried to get answers from him nicely. All he did was to make fun of me being 1/8 Nigerian and left the room to play MW2(obviously). I followed him and I asked why he did that. Again he said the same thing but he didn't know that his mother was watching him. I can literally hear the shouting. "Karmaic justice" I tell myself. Now Rockstar can do my job of keeping the West clean, one 9 year old racist at a time.