Gatchaman Movie Shows Signs of Life

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Gatchaman Movie Shows Signs of Life

Imagi's feature length adaptation of Japanese bird-ninja anime Gatchaman might not be as dead as people think.

When Imagi Studios was forced to close its doors earlier this year due to financial problems, it seemed to spell the end of the computer animated Gatchaman movie it was working on. But the company was able to secure new investment, and this week a new clip from the movie appeared on its official website.

The clip shows the team making short work of a spider robot attacking the city. It's hard to know for sure from just a single minute of footage, but it looks like it's staying pretty faithful to the original cartoon. The uniforms and weapons seem to be intact, as well as the dynamic aerial combat.

What's going to be interesting is when we get some more plot details, because Gatchaman has been translated into English multiple times, first as Battle of the Planets, then as G-Force and then as Eagle Riders, not to mention the uncut dub of the original anime released in 2005. If this movie ever makes it to theatres, it's guaranteed that some people are going to be scratching their heads when characters aren't called what they remember.

Gatchaman is scheduled for a 2011 release, but the movie has been delayed multiple times since its announcement in 2006, so best jot that one down in pencil for the time being.

Source: Film Junk [http://www.filmjunk.com/2010/07/20/gatchaman-not-dead-new-trailer-hits-the-web/]

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
So this has nothing to do with the Ape Escape 3 costume? Aww...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, nice to see this wasnt totally buries. Although only a one min clip, its a sign!

Made me smile~

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
When the Hamster movie came out I thought it was Gatchaman. Then I saw the hamsters and thought to myself...G-Force wasn't about hamsters! Good to see that this is being made though

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
Speaking of names what do yall think their names should be?

I think they should stick with Ken the Eagle, Joe the Condor, Jun the Swan, that group had cool names.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
I've got to say, I was really disappointed when I heard about Imagi's money troubles, they showed real promise as an animation studio.