New Zealand Commercial Mimics Kevin Butler Ad

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
New Zealand Commercial Mimics Kevin Butler Ad

You may not know the product that this New Zealand TV spot is advertising, but you'll recognize the commercial nonetheless - Sony's Kevin Butler did it first.

Do you recognize the above advertisement, produced by New Zealand's TV3 to promote its Monday night lineup of assuredly excellent television? No? Then you clearly haven't been following Sony's splendid Kevin Butler ad campaign, as it's almost a word for word imitation [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZhPK7IR-qU] of a February ad starring the fake Sony executive.

Call it an homage or call it a rip-off, either way it's downright identical - only, the TV3 ad doesn't have Kevin Butler which makes it completely inferior.

As Sony itself [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/20/kevin-butler-commercial-cloned-in-new-zealand/].

Smaller advertisers generally don't take ideas from the big dogs for fear of reprisal, which is why it feels a bit strange that TV3 would run a nigh-identical ad spot to Sony's massive Kevin Butler campaign.

Oh well. I guess The Butler was just too cool to resist.

(Joystiq [http://buttonmasher.co.nz/blog/2010/07/20/tv3-rips-off-kevin-butler/])

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Only Kevin Butler can get away with splitting montage into two words.

This man must now die!

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Oh well, it really doesn't matter cause nothing can top Kevin Butler anyway

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Can people trademark advertisements or advertising styles? o_O I know that'd not actually the issue here, but it certainly seems like it could turn out to be.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
NOOO! His delivery is completely wrong!

Shame on you, hairy-guy-on-tv!

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
i got a good laugh at it.
but it would of been ten times cooler of Kevin Butler came in at the end with the hair band getdup.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
We shall call this "The Butler Effect"

Heh, well at least they have style if they are following in its awesome

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Only Kevin Butler can get away with splitting montage into two words.

This man must now die!
I agree! DEATH TO THE PRETENDER!

*loads shotgun*

triorph

Aug 5, 2008
As a New Zealander I support the comments here against this man. His name is "Dai Henwood" and I don't know a single person who thinks he is funny, despite the fact that he keeps getting on TV as a comedian.

Luke Cartner

May 6, 2010
Given that we havn't seen the Kevin Bulter ads here in New Zealand and Australia and given that the ad format in question is hardly original I suspect it has less to do with Kevin Bulter and more to do with advertising companies recycling their ideas..

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
triorph said:
As a New Zealander I support the comments here against this man. His name is "Dai Henwood" and I don't know a single person who thinks he is funny, despite the fact that he keeps getting on TV as a comedian.
Dai Henwood is awesome! Every one of my friends think he's hilarious