Activision Exec: Call of Duty is This Generation's Star Wars

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Activision Exec: Call of Duty is This Generation's Star Wars

There's no doubt that the Star Wars [http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=%22Call+of+Duty%22&x=13&y=25&ih=12_2_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_1.52_371&fsc=-1].

Comparing something - anything - to Star Wars is just asking for trouble. Are you daring to suggest that the objection of your affection can somehow compare to the 1977 masterpiece that revolutionized the movie industry and redefined what it meant to be a sci-fi nerd? Or are you admitting, even if only subconsciously, that your work is unmitigated garbage, like the execrable "prequel trilogy" that followed? It's pretty clear that Hirshberg is shooting for the former, but come on, really?

"The Call of Duty franchise is a force of nature. I think it is the closest thing this generation has to a Star Wars," he told IGN [http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/110/1106151p1.html]. "I think it's unique and bigger than any musical act or any movie franchise in that capacity."

See? It's a lose-lose situation. At best, you end up with people like me making jokes about "Meesa Soap!" and at worst, you gently remind people that maybe your stuff isn't quite as awesome as you say it is after all. Hirshberg did, however, admit that Activision [http://www.activision.com] can't just coast on the success of the past games if it wants to keep the series relevant. "The challenge with any franchise like that is staying a step ahead of people and keep surprising them and keeping it fresh," he said.

Hopefully Activision will have better luck with that than LucasArts has. The newest addition to the Call of Duty series, Call of Duty: Black Ops [http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=%22Call+of+Duty%3A+Black+Ops%22&x=0&y=0&ih=16_6_0_3_0_1_2_1_2_1.1_109&fsc=-1] is scheduled for release on November 9 for the PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Wii.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Star Wars changed the movie industry by focusing it in a direction that would later lead to endless sequels, unimportant merchandising, and spiralling prices.

The videogames industry already has those things.

Nightfalke

Just this guy, you know?
Sep 10, 2008
Really? REALLY?

I remember back in the day it was EA making stupid claims like this and Activision sitting on the sidelines and chuckling quietly to itself.

My how times have changed.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Um, no.

This Just in, Activision Exec proclaims: "CoD is bigger than Jesus!"

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Hahahahaha... Call of Duty is no where near Star Wars... Star Wars is a classic still relevant 40 years later. Ask any kid who Darth Vader is and they will know. In 40 years no one will remeber CoD.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Nightfalke said:
Really? REALLY?

I remember back in the day it was EA making stupid claims like this and Activision sitting on the sidelines and chuckling quietly to itself.

My how times have changed.
Yeah... EA's pretty cool now, aren't they?

Calumon: Ubisoft are still silly. :p

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Activision: so full of themselves, they shit eachother.

Seriously tho, that's garbage. What a dummy. Yeah, MW2 had amazing sales. But there's also been massive community backlash, and I don't think everyone's going to stay on the bandwagon.

I think they got a bit lucky with MW2, it was released perfectly. PS3 sales were way up with the Slim out (pretty much why I got MW2), there was a slight dry spell of big budget FPS at the time, and they beat BFBC2 to the punch. If the release dates were switched, my money says that BFBC2 would have had all the massive sales.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Um... No, just no. The Original Trilogy was groundbreaking in technology and scope when it came out and it inspired millions for decades. I fail to see how any generic FPS like CoD could begin to even get close enough to SW to grovel at its feet. It's not revolutionary and if it wasn't for its stream of games would likely be forgotten. There are games that might stand the trials of time, bringing about a gaming revolution and earn the right to stand alongside SW as a true genre and media changing force but I see the slightest chance of any Activision game that follows the same formula time and again ever reaching that.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
He's right though. I did just get done reading one of my hundred or so Call of Duty expanded universe books after watching a video about a group of nerds dressed up like Call of Duty characters and preforming iconic scenes from the series in public. The similarities are uncanny.

Apr 28, 2008
Halo already got that comparison. As did Mass Effect, and a few other games.

Its not like Star Wars in terms of success. Call of Duty didn't exactly revolutionize anything, except maybe WW2 battles.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
Now I am really starting to hate Activision even more. Making claims of games we obviously do not like, making statements without any reason to be made or simply without any sense, depreciating the PC community, for me Activision is the worst company even now.

Ubisoft was close to that title in 2008 and 2009, but not really now that Activision has got the trophy. Every game they released for the PC just seemed like a somewhat lazy console port (FC2, AC2, SC Conviction).

EA has been getting a lot more better than in comparison to it's past, they are making good games in comparison to Activision and Ubisoft.

Razavn

Jun 2, 2009
Fuck it thats it...I am most definately not getting another CoD game (I have COD4 and MW2). With the desire to add subscription fees, the problems withe the game itself, and the overall arrogance of the publisher, I have no desire to get another one.

Granted I will be getting Starcraft 2 but I will not get another CoD game...its just riduculous. Imagine the hate the Halo series would get if it did this? (More so than the hate it already gets)

P.S. I actually like Halo I am not bashing it.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
This generation's Star Wars?

I thought that was, y'know, Star Wars.

Silly noisy activision, I seem to remember Microsoft saying the exact same thing about Halo some time between two and three coming out. You don't get to be 'this generation's Star Wars' for another 25 years you morons!

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Yes.

A series ruined by too many sequels in a vain attempt at making ungodly amounts of money.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
...That will sooooo get a backlash if the wrong people hear it...

Put your trumpets away, and, just work on your silly lil' game! And leave the grandiose statements away