Trailer: Kingdom Hearts Re:coded Adds Unexpected Gameplay Styles

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Trailer: Kingdom Hearts Re:coded Adds Unexpected Gameplay Styles

Square Enix's upcoming Nintendo DS Kingdom Hearts title will feature genres of gameplay not seen before in the series.

Kingdom Hearts: Re:coded is a Nintendo DS remake/port of Kingdom Hearts: coded, an episodic game released in Japan on cellphones. Re:coded's E3 2010 trailer may have whet our appetite for the game, but the latest video should make stomachs grumble even more.

Re:coded apparently includes gameplay modes not typically found in the Kingdom Hearts series, which normally plays out as a third-person action-RPG. While Sora will still be whacking enemies in plenty of Keyblade action, he'll also be engaging in turn-based combat, side-scrolling action, top-down hedge maze sneaking, and a third-person Space Harrier-style shooter.

The game is said to take place in a virtual world, so these new forms of play seem to fit into its style. Cloud is even shown in the turn-based portion for anyone that's been dying for the type of action the Final Fantasy VII star was first known for. Though we don't know how deep these gameplay portions are, this trailer at least makes Re:coded worth a closer look for those that thought it'd be a simple port. It'll be out on October 7 in Japan, and though it is planned for release in other regions the dates haven't been revealed yet.

Via: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2010/07/20/kingdom-hearts-recoded-trailer-may-surprise-you/]

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Eh, some of those look appealing, but for the most part, I'd wish they would keep the gameplay as it was.
While I enjoyed Kingdom Hearts, I found it to only be above average, so I'm hoping that this doesn't push it too far down to the "unappealing section" of my list of games that I might buy.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
This is pretty much along the lines of Chain of Memories - a review and re-take of the events of Kingdom Hearts, modified by new gameplay gimmicks and arc-plot. Expect to see all the same locations and Disney characters as Kingdom Hearts, only with a new "debugging" mode and some strange meta-plot.

If I remember correctly, the original translation of the sentence in Jiminy's Notebook was "We must return to relieve them from their suffering".

newfoundsky

Feb 9, 2010
I didn't play Chain of Memories because I didn't want to muck about with this crap. Why can't they just keep it a third person wack em up?

Metalteeth9

Apr 16, 2009
I am saying this as a big fan of Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2.

SquareEnix...stop fucking releasing side games. Make 3. I don't want to play a cellphone game. I don't want a game on BOTH the PSP and DS. I don't want you to remake side games. Re:chain of memories? Re:coded? How about just 3.

tmujir955

Oct 12, 2009
Metalteeth9 said:
I am saying this as a big fan of Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2.

SquareEnix...stop fucking releasing side games. Make 3. I don't want to play a cellphone game. I don't want a game on BOTH the PSP and DS. I don't want you to remake side games. Re:chain of memories? Re:coded? How about just 3.
Re: Coded is actually pretty important. It reveals the contents of the letter. Yes, THAT letter.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Nice to see they are not been afraid to mix things up a little. Im pretty excited, well, intrested to see how it will work

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
this is once again a recap of the first one. I played both 368/2 days and birth by sleep both games, but this one does not look good. I am skipping this one.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Well at least their keeping the gameplay fresh by putting about 6 different playing styles in there.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
I can't blame Square for adding some variety to KH since the series was starting to get boring, but some of the new stuff just looks iffy to me. Please show me wrong Square.

Kirch Libre

Jun 22, 2010
Oh boy... Another Kingdom Hearts game I can't play because I don't have a DS. Way to go Squeenix.

SalamanderJoe

Jun 28, 2010
Not to moan or anything, but why are all the newer Kingdom Hearts games on handheld game consoles? No offense Square-Enix but there are fans with PS3s and 360s as well y'know?!

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
Yea, I'm sick of it too. The plot of Kingdom hearts games are damn hard to follow. How about a simply releasing three, with a plot that actually makes sense?

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Ok, for starters releasing the trailer for this before birth by sleep has even been released in the states is just being mean. (6 months delay people!! WTF!?)

Secondly, why is it that they seem so fixated on re-telling the story of the first game over and over? I mean cripes didn't we already do that in chain of memories? If I'm following the logic right we'll now be playing a game that recaps the story from chain of memories which was already recapping the story from the first game.

That my friends is logic capable of giving Vulcans aneurysms.

BlueHighwind

Jan 24, 2010
Uch... Do we really have to wait a whole year for this game to come out here? I hate waits... I've been waiting for this game personally for like four years, do I need to wait another one?

Vladamir69

Dec 18, 2008
I don't understand where all the hate for this is coming from. I think that this is a very interesting change of pace for the series. Also I think that it will shed a little bit of light on what happened to Riku between the 1st and 2nd games. I will be eagerly waiting for its release as well as Birth by sleep. I just hope that KH3 will come out for something other than PS3,

SolracTheSin

Jun 11, 2010
I agree with most. Stop messing around with side games and just make #3 already. Sucks I cant play any since I dont have a DS or PSP.