Crytek Designer Talks About Guns in Games

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Crytek Designer Talks About Guns in Games

Crytek [http://www.crytek.com/] graphic designer and real-life gun guy Pascal Eggert says weaponry in videogames are all about "looks, sounds and cliches," but that authenticity is an important part of the process too.

Have you ever really thought about all those various implements of death you've waved around in various shooters over the years? Most gamers don't; they go boom, people die, we move to the next level and that's pretty much the end of it. But it's a business that some folks take very seriously; folks like Pascal Eggert, for instance, a new addition to the Crytek design team who also happens to be a "firearm enthusiast" in real life.

In a guest column for The Firearm Blog [http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/07/21/on-guns-in-video-games-guest-post/], Eggert wrote that the wildly fantastical nature of many videogame weapons has established a "common misconception" that game designers don't know anything about guns. The truth, however, is that designers "are not trying to simulate reality but are creating products to provide entertainment."

To illustrate his point, Eggert suggested that readers think of modern shooters as similar to a chess game with "hyper-realistic" pieces. "In real life horses don't move in L shapes like knights do on a chess board. The chess game rule governing knight movement is designed to make the game fun and challenging, not to replicate the movement of a real knight riding on a real horse," he explained. "It is the same with guns in games, there is no fun in holding virtual breath and nobody (other than The Firearm Blog readers) wants to watch how a revolver is reloaded cartridge by cartridge. The game gun is a visual representation of a game rule."

But he noted that a little bit of realism doesn't hurt, either. "Reloading for example is something that is a great game rule because it creates tension as well as it's an authentic behavior," he added.

Eggert also looked at the technical side of the weapon design process, beginning with a detailed model created by a 3D artist that's eventually handed off to animators, effects artist and coders. A good result requires a good initial reference, he said, but added that designers who are serious about replicating firearms should get some experience with them in the real world.

"You should hold a gun in your hands, fire it and reload it to understand what does what," he said. "At that point you will realize, there is nothing on it that does not have a function - because guns are tools for professionals. Lot of weapon designers in the game industry get that wrong."

Eggert's comments may resonate with gun enthusiasts but I'm not sure this is something the average gamer really cares about. As long as it looks vaguely gun-ish, makes lots of noise and kills bad guys, I'm happy, and the weapons I tend to remember are the ones that have no grounding in reality whatsoever, like the Land Shark Gun, the giant cannon from Serious Sam [http://www.amazon.com/Serious-Sam-First-Encounter-Pc/dp/B00004ZB7P/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279743527&sr=8-9] and of course the most famous fictional game gun of all, the BFG-9000. Realism is great, but given the choice between that and the ability to pin a dude's skull to a wall from across a room, I'll take the Ultra-Fire Nail Gun any day.

cschraer

Jul 14, 2010
I think it depends on the type of game. How much realism are you expecting from Team Fortress 2? Not much. On the other hand if you're playing a Tom Clancy game, like Rainbow Six, the expectation for real looking and operating guns is there. In the early Rainbow Six games you couldn't even see your gun.

Another example that seems extremely relevant is America's Army. The detail placed into weapon design there should be as close to real life as possible.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Authenticity is fun, but, all I want is something that will shoot, kill, and win the battle!

Hense...where is my BFG? =D

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Hate to point this out, but the Land Shark Gun is from Armed and Dangerous, not Serious Sam.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
This is actually the sort of thing I think about when I've got absolutely nothing to do. Nice to have something that finally validates my thoughts.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
I really hope this guy's creations(linked at the bottom of the TFAB article) get put into Crysis 2. The rifle that can be configured to throw out 12 noobtube grenades at once will be interesting to balance and his 5.56mm P90 lookalike would actually be practical*.

*Except for the exhaust port in the user's face.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
If you play nothing but, say, Starcraft, for the entirety of your gaming career, the game will get extremely stale whether you want to admit it or not. From any sane perspective, you want to use games to explore a different phase space, to explore new interactions, strategies, and gameplay types. In that same vein, it is absolutely worth playing wildly unrealistic games, same as games dedicating to the closest level of realism imaginable, and everything in between. A game as authentic to real guns as possible would be very entertaining, and Kudos to Crytek for trying.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Realism in games is great so long as it doesn't get in the way of fun.

Crysis 2 really is shaping up in my mind to be the game for 'TEH ULTRA HARDCOAR! DON'T BUY IT IF UR A CASUAL, PUSSY!' You've got the lead writer recently transferred from writing novels and beginning his tenure by slagging off two other popular shooters for their supposedly appalling writing, you've got this fellow here pushing (albiet I will admit far more reasonably this time) for a bit more realism with weapons in games and of course you have the infamous crytek engine that requires all of the cash you got to make the game run half-decently as well as requires your soul to power its graphics to boot.

I'll be interested to see how well this game does upon launch. Because one thing's for sure 'IT DOESN'T PUSSYFOOT AROUND!' - for better or for worse.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Okay I grew up around guns, I hunted, I took part in competition shooting, and I freaking hate "realistic" shooters... Any game where I have to manage my breathing (Ghost Recon 2 for example) while using a scope pisses me the hell off... not to mention the bullshit that is iron sights. I'm (or was at least, been a while since I shot and my eyes aren't so hot anymore) exceptional with real iron sights but it just doesn't freaking work in games, give me a damn cross-hair.

There I feel better.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I dont know, I would have rathered a bit more realism in bad company 2, its annoying to load in a clip while you still have a few rounds left and still load a round in the damn chamber

Larsirius

May 26, 2010
Being a somewhat novice firearms enthusiast, with only a Walther P22 in my weapon's locker, I tend to greif over certain design details of game weapons. Such as the bolt arm of the sniper in Far Cry 2 being on the left side of the rifle, even though you fire from your right shoulder, or the ejection port being on the left side of the weapon while the player fires it from the right shoulder, essentially launching hot metal casing into the player's face.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
xRagnarok19 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Hate to point this out, but the Land Shark Gun is from Armed and Dangerous, not Serious Sam.
I think he meant it as the land shark gun and the giant cannon and the bfg
Yeah, that's three separate weapons there: Land Shark Gun, giant cannon thing and BFG.

I have no issues with "realism" as far as that goes, but let's face it, Crysis, MewTwo, FEAR are "realistic" but hardly realistic. I'll take a good, awesome boomstick any day of the week. Let's face it, what makes a bigger impression: A lifelike experience with a highly-detailed pistol, or SHURIKENS AND LIGHTNING?

I also thought it was interesting that the comments came from a guy who's designing weapons for Crysis 2. Does anyone even notice the guns in that game? It's all about the suit!

iPeg

Mar 17, 2010
Hey guys,

I want to make it very clear that my article was about games that are set in "realistic" environments, like MW, Crysis, CS, BC and so forth. I absolutely agree, that realism is not at all needed in games like UT, Serious Sam etc. The job of the gun-designer in these sort of games is completely different: he has to create an "Icon" or a recognizable shape so the player knows what he is holding without even directly looking at it. Something like the rocket launcher in Q3 or the flak in UT99. This weapon does not need to be designed around internals, but have to have a certain feel for the power and limitations of the weapon. A good "funweapon" is designed around a unique shape, something a kid could doodle on a desk at school. I personally don't like the UT3 Weapons because they are overly detailed and not as recognizable as the original guns. Some other people agree:

http://www.cineris.org/blog/2006/11/26/design-decline/

Very good examples of recognizable shapes in guns (as well as in characters) in the current gen can be found in TF2. But I guess you already know that :)

Cheers,
iPeg

Killerbunny001

Oct 23, 2008
Weapons in games should be fun, period. If that means you have to dial back on realism most people would say go for it. If you fuck up on the weapons and they look and "feel" wrong that game has lost a ton of fans from second one. You can`t expect players to "suck it up" because in a shooter weapons are the star and they are on screen all the time.