New Cloaking Technology Offers Hope for Invisible Objects

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
New Cloaking Technology Offers Hope for Invisible Objects

We may not yet have true invisible armor, but two new breakthroughs in the study of cloaking devices offer hope that such technology is coming sooner than previously imagined.

Two research teams, one based at the University of California, Berkeley, and one based at Cornell, have revealed distinct methods through which materials can be rendered transparent, National Geographic reports [http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/05/090506-cloaking-device-star-trek.html].

The technology developed by the Berkeley team relies on punching scores of microscopic holes in a material. These holes alter the way light functions on contact with the substance, forcing the normally reflected light to instead bend around the object.

The Cornell team however, produced a similar effect by covering a material with many "tiny pillars," effectively rendering the object invisible.

The catch is that so far both technologies only work in near-infrared light. These methods won't yet offer Predator-esque invisibility, but the two research teams hope that with funding and more development time, their methods can be made to function in the visible spectrum.

Scaling the technology up for something larger than the microscopic test objects the teams are currently using as a proof of concept will also prove difficult. Given the number of holes the Berkeley team had to drill into its material, replicating a similar process for something even as small as a BB pellet would prove time-consuming and wildly expensive.

That said, you can almost hear military strategists chomping at the bit to get their hands on something like this. If the only thing more terrifying than robotic death machines is jumping robotic death machines [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91591-U-S-Military-Develops-Jumping-Urban-Hopper-Robots], then the only thing more terrifying than jumping robotic death machines must be invisible jumping robotic death machines.

Not even copious esoteric Lolita references could save you from that kind of mechanized horror.

Sergeant M. Fudgey

Mar 26, 2009
Umm... Yeah, that seems a bit expensive. We aren't going to have anything like that manufactured, even for the army, any time soon.

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
Actually, a researcher turned a raincoat transparent using a similar system to the one that made James Bond's car invisible in Die Another Day.

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
"Somebody call for an exterminator?"

it wouldnt surprise me if they will develop some kind of "Lockdown" technology soon

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
So these guys saved Otacon over Meryll?

I still say Metamaterials is the way to go for rendering things fully invisible. That, or a sombody-else's-problem field.
Like, the University of California's problem.
That was easy.

Beetlejooce

Dec 26, 2008
This won't help when the zombie apocalypse comes. I hear they can smell you.

Also what about heat scopes and things ? But either way, it's still a really cool piece of technology.

Volucer

Sep 4, 2008
Isn't that how cloaking devices worked in Star Trek? By bending the light around the object?

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
They would develop this technology once I'm finished school... Imagine the fun of using them on a teacher...

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Until they make something like Predator's armor, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If they do it, I'll steal one and use it to commit crime.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
wait punching holes.... that would hurt to turn a human invisible wouldnt it, then again I coulda just read it wrong (microscopic holes I mean thats like billions upon billions of needles not visible ot the naked eye)