Ubisoft Sales Nearly Double in First Quarter

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Ubisoft Sales Nearly Double in First Quarter

It's a great time for Ubisioft's balance sheet, thanks to spies, assassins and dancers.

Ubisoft predicted some pretty big sales numbers for the first quarter of 2010, numbers that proved to be accurate as the publisher announced sales nearly double those of the same time last year. Ubisoft's sales came to over €161 million - over $200 million dollars - an increase of 94% on the previous year's €83 million.

The reason for this increase, says Ubisoft, is the "solid performance" of Splinter Cell: Conviction and sales of back-catalogue titles like Assassin's Creed 2 and casual titles like Just Dance. Ubisoft said it was the fourth biggest independent publisher in the US in the first six calendar months of 2010, and the second largest in Europe with 6% and 9.5% market shares respectively.

Ubisoft is predicting Q2 numbers roughly half those of the previous quarter, a figure in line with last year. It also confirmed its full year forecast "of an expected return to profitable growth and positive cash flow from operating activities."

Source: Edge [http://www.next-gen.biz/news/ubisoft-posts-94-q1-sales-jump]

Chechosaurus

Jul 20, 2008
I think Ubisoft get a lot of flak (rightfully so in some cases) but overall, I think they're actually not all that bad. They've developed and published some really great games and they don't seem like quite the cash whores of EA and Activision. I can't comment on their PC etiquette because I'm not a big PC gamer but I am glad that they're doing well and aren't trying to force the EXACT SAME GAME down our throats year in, year out *cough* Guitar Hero *cough* EA Sports *cough*.

Maybe I'm just out of the loop but they don't seem ALL bad.

EDIT: Although, that being said, they are still a giant corporation and therefore evil.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
I'm personally happy with this (being a console gamer so far away from the DMR arguement), they made some really good games and deserve to make some wonderful money. I hope they look at the success of Assassins Creed as an indication it can be a good idea to make new Ips.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
For some reason after reading through this the title of the thread changed to; Stupidity nearly doubles in first quarter of 2010. I think my brain is just trying to soften the horror of what is to come because of this. They will be entirely convinced they've done the right thing. Its a dark day for us all. Get ready to bend over at your next Ubisoft PC title purchase! If you ever plan to make one again that is.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Lets hope they cascade that dosnt to the people who actually do the work...

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
I think this further proves that legitimate customers not buying games is actually the reason companies lose money and "HERP DERP PIRACY" is a convenient scapegoat for their shitty games and business practices

If PC game sales went up, then get ready for more online teathers that can easily be circumvented by pirates.

Arec Balrin

Feb 26, 2010
Taken from elsewhere:

Titles on Xbox 360 brought in the highest units sales for the company with 45 percent, followed by Wii with 20 percent, 17 percent for PS3, PC with 7 percent, DS with 6 percent, and PSP garnering 5 percent of titles sales.
The disparity between the 360 and PC is the key issue: 45% versus 7%. As Ubisoft, to my knowledge, released exactly the same titles for both, all given equal pre-release hype in their respective platform magazines: DRM has cost Ubisoft dearly on PC. Still looking for their actual report rather than a press release or article.

Veritasiness

Feb 19, 2010
I stopped buying from Ubisoft after they unleashed that God-awful DRM. I'm not sure they even want PC gamers' money anymore, but either way, they won't have mine.