Sony's Blu-ray Disc Successor Could Hold a Terabyte

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sony's Blu-ray Disc Successor Could Hold a Terabyte

Don't think Sony is resting on its laurels with the Blu-ray disc: An even larger successor is already in the works.

Sony announced this week that it is already making strides towards the storage system that will replace the Blu-ray disc someday. Think the 50 GB that a dual-layer Blu-ray disc can hold is a lot? How about 20 times that much?

Along with Tohoku University, Sony put out a press release that says:

This latest successful development is an all-semiconductor laser picosecond pulse source with a laser wavelength of 405 nanometers (1 nm = one-billionth of a meter) in the blue-violet region. It is capable of generating optical pulses in the ultrafast duration of 3 picoseconds (1 picosecond = one-trillionth of a second), with ultrahigh output peak power of 100 watts and repetition frequency of 1 gigahertz. Advanced control of the newly-developed and proprietary-constructed GaN-based mode-locked semiconductor laser and semiconductor optical amplifier have enabled peak output power in excess of 100 watts to be achieved, which is more than a hundred times the world's highest output value for conventional blue-violet pulse semiconductor lasers.

Blu-ray disc readers use a laser wavelength of 405 nanometers, so this new technique is sort of like that, but more powerful if I'm properly understanding this technical jargon. Sony conceivably plans to use the new laser system for the successor to the Blu-ray player.

Predictions put a disc storage system using this technology at 20 times the capability of a Blu-ray disc. For example, it could allow for an entire television season to be held on a single disc. 50 GB multiplied by 20 would put next-generation disc storage at around a terabyte after all.

There was no indication made as to when we'll be seeing a new disc format from Sony, but don't burn your new Blu-ray collection anytime soon. Sony wants to keep the PlayStation 3 [http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3-120-GB/dp/B002I0J4VQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279903418&sr=8-2] around for at least another half decade, so I wouldn't expect this technology to be applied or viable until around when the PlayStation 4 is released anyway.

Source: Examiner [http://www.examiner.com/x-16352-Japan-Headlines-Examiner~y2010m7d21-Sony-and-Tohoku-University-announce-next-generation-laser-for-disks]

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
Bliksem. If that's true, then it's mighty impressive. Although, we aren't even close to having 1TB size games, but at least they're planning for the future.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
I don't see how a 100 watt+ laser is in any way useful for improving anything in a field where power saving is pretty much the only way forward now that we can build transistors out of loose atoms.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
I'm skeptical that this will ever be a viable storage medium for home entertainment. Maybe piracy or home computer data backup? Blu rays exist for the purpose of holding a two hour high definition movie. Unless they try to institute an "super high definition" standard for 500 inch TVs, I don't see it happening. Think of how long it took for regular HD to catch on. Plus, putting out a high capacity disc for the sheer use of media storage isn't cost effective. You can get away with charging more if there are more discs in the box. They could be throwing entire 480p TV seasons onto one or two blu rays, but they aren't because that would be pointless from a cost benefit perspective.

And what if a 1 terabyte disc gets a little scratch. So long, Simpsons seasons 2 through 3.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
We barely have any 50 GB games...What they hell could we do with a Terabyte?!

Store entire collections of developers and publishers?

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
All this room for storage and DVD producers are still putting stuff that could easily fit on 1 disc on 2 discs because the dumbass public will think they're getting more.

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
Yes yes, Planned obsolescence. You're also going to need new TVs to display the additional 940gb of audio/video data. Big whoop.

Also, don't get it confused. A 1TB game isn't going to be any longer than 8 hours. They're just going to find new and interesting ways to waste space.

Kinda pointless too, digital distribution is really the only place left to go. Even the US's shitty fiber optic connections can transfer the average 1080p movie in less time than it'd take to watch it. Which is rolling out as fast as verizon can penetrate the government mandated cable monopolies.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

yes... just yes. i would get every Valve/Dice/Final Fantasy/Double Fine game on 1 disk.
that would be Epic.

and wouldn't it allow for the developers to make MMORPG style single player games where they add a level or 2 every month?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Thats...alot! What use could we need for such large discs!? Imagine all the extra's!

Ill admit, im impressed by it...but, wow...

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

Hmm Final Fantasy I-XIII and all the spin offs in between on a single disc... I kinda like the sound of this.

oranger

May 27, 2008
Beyond just getting entire libraries of data on one convenient disc, this will also allow for much, much larger programs to be sold at lowered costs.
What I keep thinking about though is the sheer amount of electricity it would take to read/write that bad boy, nevermind the production costs associated with it.

BUT! its new tech, which is good.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
My imagination still can't "imagine" 1 TB games in the next 10 years.

The best use I could give to this thing is making lots and lots of compilations on a single disc, maybe putting in 2 or 3 discs the entire PS2 library with HD graphics and 1 million trophies.

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

make the biggest shiniest looking game ever?

delta46

Dec 13, 2009
Dude this already exists,have you forgotten the blurazor?Or are you too poor to afford uber-HD?

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Good for them. Trouble is, it's too soon and we don't really need it. Heck, most people still haven't upgraded from DVD to Blue-Ray yet. Advancing technology during a recession doesn't seem like the smartest move.

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
Gamegodtre said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

make the biggest shiniest looking game ever?
How about a game that is not 3D, but made entirely of QTE's that are UBER-HD? That MAY fit 1TB perhaps?

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
You could put the game, and the X month live video recording "making of the game" on 1 disc, amazing!