New Tron Trailer Enters the Game Grid

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
New Tron Trailer Enters the Game Grid

A new trailer for Tron: Legacy has been released, offering a glimpse at the wondrous bounty the movie has to offer.

The original Tron movie was ahead of its time, and had ideas that the technology of the early 80s couldn't quite realize. More than 25 years later, its sequel, Tron: Legacy, doesn't have that problem, and the latest trailer shows off just how amazing that world can look.

The new trailer starts with Flynn telling his son Sam a bedtime story, a story that sounds awfully like the events of the first movie, just days before his disappearance in 1989. From there we get to see Sam's confusion as he arrives in the sprawling metropolis the digital world has become, as well as a taste of the movie's action sequences.

The movie has a really striking aesthetic and it's encouraging that Disney seems to be taking it so seriously. There's a lot of elements that long time Tron fans will find very familiar indeed, but there's a lot in there that's new as well. I especially like the upside down, hand-to-hand disc combat.

Tron: Legacy stars Jeff Bridges, Garret Hedlund and Olivia Wilde and opens in theatres in December.

Source: Film Junk [http://www.filmjunk.com/2010/07/22/tron-legacy-theatrical-trailer-2/]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Looking better and better each time is this movie! I cant wait for release!

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
I hope this gains enough interest from people who have never seen the original movie.

They're out there.

[sub]...Apparently I married one.[/sub]

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Damn, looks like they got to the video, time to hunt for a new link chaps!

Oh, just the embedding feature, never mind then.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
Gah, I really don't like the look of this film. It looks like every single other big budget, effects-ridden spectacle out there. News flash: having huge special effects doesn't make you special anymore! Part of the charm of the original was how ahead of its time it was and how it couldn't quite realize everything. It had that cheese factor, but it had heart. This just looks so bland. Plus, it's just more remake BS Hollywood has been cranking out lately.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I'm very pleased to see this movie get a modern treatment. Tron was so far ahead of its time that this gets to be as much a remake as a sequel, and it might remind folks of all the concepts that have been borrowed from it since those filmmakers in 1982 did the impossible.

I'm not a fan of all remakes and there's been an awful lot of sequels to things that had no business having sequels, but this isn't one of them. And I find it very amusing that anyone would critique a movie set entirely inside a computer as having too much in the way of special effects. I mean, what'a PC or Console game but almost entirely special effects with some voice acting overlaying it? What about computer graphics makes a movie (or a game) have less heart or be bland?

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
I'm really hoping they didn't pull a Transformers here. Where special effects and other such eye-candy take precedence over everything, and the story and acting are merely weak glue trying to keep peoples attention for the next amazing sequence of events.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Looks alright. But then, it has that "in 3D" thing at the end, which is currently the calling card for all shit films.

Still, I like the very game-y feel of it; especially when he throws the disc at someone and they burst into pixels.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
-intense, "overly dramatic", vaguely instramental music
-screaming while knocking crap off the table for over-the-top emotion
-Horrible dialogue
-slow-mo vehicle stunts
-slow-mo walking
-slow-mo EVERYTHING
-generic fight scenes
-"I'm kind of a big deal" pre-fight poses
-The Shia Lapoofter looking son character type that ruined Indiana Jones franchise
-crap sweeping towards the camera to maximize 3D gimmick

Disney is trying to kill everything I loved! It looks like a computer world version of Dark Knight with the way it was shot.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
shodden said:
I've never seen the appeal of the original movie, its really campy and boring. Not the entertaining kind of campy like Evil Dead/Army of Darkness has. I really can't imagine why people on this site are excited about this and not Joss Whedon's Avengers.
Could one not be excited about both? I didn't know they were mutually exclusive....